GDT: The Deadline is upon us - please don't overpay on anything

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Skjei trade puzzles me. What I think would be extremely Tulskyesque would be to use Skjei as a rental. Use him now with all the injuries and then trade him during off-season for an almost identical value. Certainly cheaper than buying a rental if there's a market for him.

Supposedly Florida was very interested in getting Skjei but couldn't make the money work as they needed to send about the same amount back to New York and that made no sense for New York. I wonder if we could make a deal with them in the summer and get Knight as one of the pieces?

Reactions: cptjeff

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
A Gardiner buyout would only cost $5,766,666 million after the 2021 season or $1,441,667 a year for the next four years. That's pretty much painless all things considered, and it sets up our defense perfectly.

I'd rather take the buyout penalty and retain the same amount, trade him (for literally anything) and be done with it 2 years earlier.
I am pretty sure there are some teams out there that would take him for 2.5 million a year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Supposedly Florida was very interested in getting Skjei but couldn't make the money work as they needed to send about the same amount back to New York and that made no sense for New York. I wonder if we could make a deal with them in the summer and get Knight as one of the pieces?

Knight for Skjei as a base could make a ton of sense this off-season if Skjei finishes the year well. Given Bobrovsky's deal and the Canes need in net. I'd even at a 2nd or so to the Canes side.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vatanen for sure is a top4 Dman, he played a key part for the Devils on their playoff hunt few years ago.

Knight for Skjei as a base could make a ton of sense this off-season if Skjei finishes the year well. Given Bobrovsky's deal and the Canes need in net. I'd even at a 2nd or so to the Canes side.

I would bet on Knigth being untouchable for Florida.

Their roster just screams for a prospect like him, a potential cheap franchise goalie
Just perfect to balance out the Bob cap hit

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The ONLY way i see Hamilton shipped out is if his ask is really at EK65 level. 11.5 just can't happen to make this team work. If he can settle in the 7.5 - 8.5 range thats a in in my book. but above 9M is just not going to work. He is a great player and i would be pretty upset to lose him TBH. But as it was with Faulk im sure they have a number they want him at and they aren't going to move off it for the purpose of building a good team. Their contract department is very New England Patriots style in that they offer a fair number you can take it or be traded.
I feel like there have been enough big-mistake big $ defensemen that the market starts to reset a bit.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Vatanen for sure is a top4 Dman, he played a key part for the Devils on their playoff hunt few years ago.

That sure means he was a top four d-man a few years ago, but this year, he's producing at a third-pairing level. Add to that the fact that he can't stay healthy and I just don't see us interested in re-upping with him.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I feel like there have been enough big-mistake big $ defensemen that the market starts to reset a bit.

Maybe, however, it must be noted that other GMs will GM no matter what. There's always someone out there. You have to note that there's this guy named Marc Bergevin up north growing more and more insane about wanting to contend again and has a mountain of cap space and prospects just sitting there. With all of these other players with NTCs all over the place rumored to be targeting Canadian clubs, Hamilton is one of the select few guys that they can trade for and negotiate an extension with that has no NTC whatsoever. That aspect, along with his production, could make him worth a king's ransom, particularly in a sign-and-trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That sure means he was a top four d-man a few years ago, but this year, he's producing at a third-pairing level. Add to that the fact that he can't stay healthy and I just don't see us interested in re-upping with him.

He’s on 40 point pace logging +20mins a night, on a bad bad team.

Devils best D-man.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
They can't go 4-4 anymore, that would leave Trocheck unprotected (Aho, Jordan, Teuvo, Svech, Trocheck.)

Lots of things can happen between now and then, but if Seattle wants the last year of Trocheck's contract at $6.25M, I say they can have him.

I’m sure Skjei is excited to literally never get revenge on his old team as long as he lives.

Well, that old team. When he walks away from our team, he'll get plenty of revenge.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lots of things can happen between now and then, but if Seattle wants the last year of Trocheck's contract at $6.25M, I say they can have him.

Personally, I’d hope they ask Staal to waive his NMC knowing full well he won’t be the one taken. I don’t think Francis would be interested at all in a 3C at $6M. If that’s the case, they can go 4-4-1 and protect Trocheck.

Or, they could still go 7-3-1, and just be prepared to lose one of Gardiner/Skjei/Bean/Fleury. I don’t think any of those losses would be insurmountable, and out of those 4, you should have no issues rounding out the top 4. Arguably, Bean or Fleury, I think, would be the attractive pieces. Hopefully, they can pay Francis to take one of the more expensive LD, if they don’t trade one this coming summer.

Also there’s Sellgren, who should be knocking on the door of the big club after next year in Charlotte. If I recall correctly, he’ll be exempt regardless. He might be able to take up one of the expected LD vacancies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Personally, I’d hope they ask Staal to waive his NMC knowing full well he won’t be the one taken. I don’t think Francis would be interested at all in a 3C at $6M. If that’s the case, they can go 4-4-1 and protect Trocheck.

I don't know, the expansion team does have a cap floor to meet and may want to take a couple of poor price contracts.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don't know, the expansion team does have a cap floor to meet and may want to take a couple of poor price contracts.

That works out too, they can have their pick of Skjei or Gardiner. I think it’s obvious after this year that Staal
has started to decline, so I’d think if Seattle wanted a big contract from CAR they’d most likely look to the D first.

It would suck to have spent a 1st on Skjei in such a scenario, but I certainly don’t think he’s irreplaceable when Hamilton//Pesce/Slavin are healthy.

I’d be ok with Gardiner or Fleury as a long term 2nd pair option, but it seems like the Canes would not. The additions of Skjei and Trocheck certainly complicates how they’ll approach the expansion draft. I’m sure it will be very interesting to see how it plays out. That seems to be this front office’s MO.

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad