GDT: The Deadline is upon us - please don't overpay on anything

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I would presume Mrazek back before Reimer based on what I'm hearing/seeing. I imagine the question is how bad Mrazek's concussion is. No idea what happened with Reimer (I mean I know what happened but not what could physiologically be wrong with him)

waddell said it was a neck issue. No headaches or symptoms of a concussion.

“could be less than week(s?)”

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Im just trying to wrap my ahead around us having a cap *ceiling* issue and not a cap *floor* issue.

man, have times changed.
It's funny how the Marleau deal almost derailed the Skjei deal because of us having to carry his cap hit, but also enabled it because we might have been less willing to make the Skjei deal without an extra 1st.

Reactions: VAcaniac

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It's funny how the Marleau deal almost derailed the Skjei deal because of us having to carry his cap hit, but also enabled it because we might have been less willing to make the Skjei deal without an extra 1st.

Can you imagine a Skjei deal happening with Karmanos at the helm? $5.25M AAV for 5 years, taken in right at the trade deadline when the team was already up against the cap ceiling. It's like an alternate universe relative to the historic behavior of past regimes here :biglaugh:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We said we wouldn't be active....

Yeah who believed that?

Anyway... I would've preferred Ristolainen over Skeji. Way more physical and probably has more offensive upside. Think he has a better game for the playoffs.

Wish we gave up a 2nd and 4th for Lehner but hey....

Happy with the Trocheck deal. I still think Wallmark is underrated and has a shot at being a 45 pt player. He has better hands, shot, and vision than Jordan ever showed.

He also had some really clutch goals to lead us surging back into games.

The Vats deal makes sense. I don't think Kuokks was ever going to play for us but I would like it more if there was a way to keep Vats.

Also don't like that this seemingly bumps Fleury down when he was hitting his stride.

No clue what the D pairs look like going forward.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Winner: Carolina Hurricanes @ the TDL.
They accomplished what they wanted to do for now and in the future

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
WINNER: Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes roster has been ravaged by injuries, but the front office did really well to add some talented players to its roster for the playoff race.
The first move was acquiring skilled center Vincent Trocheck, who will bolster Carolina's scoring depth and is signed through 2021-22 at a reasonable cap hit. The Hurricanes also acquired two defensemen -- Sami Vatanen from the New Jersey Devils and Brady Skjei from the New York Rangers. The cost to acquire Vatanen, who could be a rental as an upcoming UFA, was prospect Janne Kuokkanen and a second-round pick. The price to get Skjei was a first-rounder. The Hurricanes gave up a lot for these players, but it was needed given the team's position in the standings. Carolina is barely clinging to the second wild-card spot in the East, and these upgrades give the 'Canes a much better chance to earn one of these playoff berths.
NHL trade deadline winners and losers: Analyzing best, worst deals

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Francis would've folded his hands today and had a presser saying there were no deals to be made.
Cmon. He was rebuilding and should’ve been fired if he gave up a first rounder. Also, there WERE no deals to be made. Today was significantly busier than the deadlines Francis worked when we were at the point where he could start trying.

Not to mention we had very few assets to spend. Waddell has been spending many of the assets Francis got us.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Wish we gave up a 2nd and 4th for Lehner but hey....

The thing that's getting missed in the Lehner deal is that Chicago is picking up 50 percent of his contract and Toronto is picking up another 44 percent in exchange for a 5th-round pick. The only reason Chicago even got what they got is because Vegas is only on the hook for 6 percent of his salary/cap hit. Lehner's value is in the dumps right now.

Francis would've folded his hands today and had a presser saying there were no deals to be made.

I cannot put into words how glad I am that crap is over. Dundon and Waddell are basically giving lessons on how to run a franchise.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Cmon. He was rebuilding and should’ve been fired if he gave up a first rounder. Also, there WERE no deals to be made. Today was significantly busier than the deadlines Francis worked when we were at the point where he could start trying.

Not to mention we had very few assets to spend. Waddell has been spending many of the assets Francis got us.

The Trocheck trade is a great example of something Francis should've been looking for I doubt he could've pulled off. Especially with how anemic the offense was under him.

Two of those assets came from the Borg in the slick Haula deal and Priskie signing.

I agree he wouldn't and shouldn't have made a Skeji style deal.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Gimme a break guys, that’s not on Francis. Karmanos never would’ve let it happen.

I'm not going down this road again. If you think that RF was creative and aggressive as a GM, and he would have done the same deals Waddell did today if he was still here, then you can feel free to believe that. I personally do not. I think it would have taken an act of Congress to get him to trade a young NHL player, three prospects and three draft picks like we did today.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The thing that's getting missed in the Lehner deal is that Chicago is picking up 50 percent of his contract and Toronto is picking up another 44 percent in exchange for a 5th-round pick. The only reason Chicago even got what they got is because Vegas is only on the hook for 6 percent of his salary/cap hit. Lehner's value is in the dumps right now.

Not quite, though it initially got reported this way (incorrectly). Chicago is keeping half, then Toronto took on 44% of the remaining half, leaving Vegas with 56% of that half (so, 28% of the initial number). Remember you can only retain up to 50% on a given move so there’s no way Toronto could’ve taken on that much.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Trocheck trade is a great example of something Francis should've been looking for I doubt he could've pulled off. Especially with how anemic the offense was under him.

Two of those assets came from the Borg in the slick Haula deal and Priskie signing.

I agree he wouldn't and shouldn't have made a Skeji style deal.
I meant Waddell has been spending Francis assets the whole time. Priskie is actually the first prospect/young player that was his that he spent, I believe.

I wasn’t referring to only today with that part.

I agree Francis should’ve been looking for a Trocheck deal, but who would we have given back? If we took on any money it would’ve been shot down as well. We know this.

I’m not sure we should’ve done the Skjei deal NOW. That one is gonna be under scrutiny moving forward. I think re signing Vatanen would be as big if not bigger than getting Skjei. Best thing about Skjei is he’s signed for years, don’t have to worry about figuring that out anytime soon.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm not going down this road again. If you think that RF was creative and aggressive as a GM, and he would have done the same deals Waddell did today if he was still here, then you can feel free to believe that. I personally do not. I think it would have taken an act of Congress to get him to trade a young NHL player, three prospects and four draft picks like we did today.
I do think he would’ve. He wasn’t anywhere near the point of having the ammo or having a team good enough to justify it, let alone going to Karmanos about it. I think he would’ve done the Hanifin aspect of the Hamilton deal. Too much gets made of Francis clinging desperately to his prospects. We were rebuilding. He didn’t have any to spare yet. He started with basically nothing. Trading young guys for vets would’ve just created more holes to fill elsewhere, and really no gm would’ve traded the kids at that point. I believe that for sure. There isn’t a gm that’s staying employed that could justify trading kids and prospects during Francis’ time.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Who knows what Francis would have done? For all we know if he were still GM, we would still be "rebuilding" since he would have NEVER done the huge Hamilton blockbuster, probably would have kept Skinner around until at least the TDL last season if not the whole season in order to try to re-sign him, etc. Those were huge moves that sent the franchise in another direction.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
That's the thing though. Trocheck costs assets of the type Francis had in spades.

Roy + 5th = Haula?
+ Wallmark (who I like) a 25 pt 3 or 4 c
+ 2nd from a couple years ago tracking to be a bottom sixer.... maybe in Lusto
and Priskie a UFA signing.

The Borg turned that into a 50-75 pt 2c who is young signed under 5m.

Francis had all those low end bottom six type assets coming out his ears.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Who knows what Francis would have done? For all we know if he were still GM, we would still be "rebuilding" since he would have NEVER done the huge Hamilton blockbuster, probably would have kept Skinner around until at least the TDL last season if not the whole season in order to try to re-sign him, etc. Those were huge moves that sent the franchise in another direction.
Everything that’s changed likely has a lot more to do with Dundon than whoever the gm is. Tulsky was hired by Francis. We’ll never know what Francis would’ve done with the open checkbook, and it’s ridiculous to be assuming he wouldn’t have done similar things. He never had the chance so there’s no precedent.

I’m fine with letting it go, others are dragging him into this for some reason.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That's the thing though. Trocheck costs assets of the type Francis had in spades.

Roy + 5th = Haula?
+ Wallmark (who I like) a 25 pt 3 or 4 c
+ 2nd from a couple years ago tracking to be a bottom sixer.... maybe in Lusto
and Priskie a UFA signing.

The Borg turned that into a 50-75 pt 2c who is young signed under 5m.

Francis had all those low end bottom six type assets coming out his ears.
Who was our Wallmark back then? We didn’t have any extra assets. That’s what I don’t understand with these arguments. We needed every single player. The idea we had extra guys that were worth something then doesn’t compute for me. Sure we had scrub role players, but they were worse than what we have now and we had no one to replace them. Trading four players for one? Hard to conceive back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad