The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ok, now that we have had a day to reflect and breathe. Let's collect our thoughts and see what Nonis has done in his past, we can examine his previous GM moves with his 4 drafts, 3 years of managing the Canucks, the drafts he led and his player transactions.

Here are the pertinent Nonis facts.

4 drafts with Vancouver:

26 Corey Schneider
91 Alex Edler
125 Andrew Saurauer
159 Mike Brown
189 Julien Ellis-Plante
254 David Schulz
287 Jannick Hansen

10 Luc Bourdon
51 Mason Raymond
114 Alexander Vincente
138 Matt Butcher
185 Kyle Fredheim
205 Mario Bliznak

14 Michael Grabner
82 Daniel Rahimi
163 Sergei Shirokov
167 Juraj Simek
197 Evan Fuller

25 Patrick White
33 Taylor Ellington
145 Charles Antoine Messier
146 Kablukov
151 (?) Taylor Matson
206 Dan Gendur

Nonis trades:

1) F-Fed for Josef Balej and a fifth rounder
2) Second rounder for Mika Noronen
3) Deadline deal! Tomas Mojzis and a third rounder for Eric Weinrich
4) Deadline deal! Fourth rounder for Sean Brown
5) Deadline deal! Brett Skinner and a second rounder for Keith Carney
6) Steve McCarthy for a fourth rounder
7)Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld in exchange for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 5th rounder.
8) Cloutier to LA for two second rounders and a conditional third round pick
9) Fourth round draft pick in exchange for Taylor Pyatt
10) Fourth round draft pick in exchange for Tommi Santala and a fifth rounder
11) Joe Rullier in exchange for Colby Genoway
12) Trade deadline deal! 2nd rounder in exchange for Bryan Smolinski
13) Trade deadline deal! 2nd rounder and 4th rounder in exchange for Brent Sopel
14) Jesse Schultz in exchange for Jimmy Sharrow
15) Francois Pierre Guennette in exchange for Zack Fitzgerald
16) Jason King and a conditional third rounder in exchange for Ryan Shannon

I think there are significant similarities Nonis has with Burke, but there are also differences, I would not make the mistake thinking this is more of the same continuation of the Burke retool.

Nonis has shown a more patient approach, sources say he wanted a 5 year rebuild, Burke didn't with the Kessel deal. Pieces in place with the Vancouver team were of Nonis's making. Vignault is the coach he hired and he is still there, The Nucks were one game from winning the cup, some of the credit belongs to Nonis, the history is laid out above to discuss.

In my opinion, Nonis is not going to go out slinging as Burke may have this year with blockbuster deals, what we are likely to see is maybe one big deal, and some small ones. Nonis looks like a guy that will build by the draft, my belief is we will try to make the playoffs this year, or pretend to with our current roster, but more likely grab a top 5 pick and sign UFA's in the summer. Nonis is going to slow things down and wait for our prospects to develop, what I am saying is look at where Vancouver is now.

They missed the playoffs 2 out of 3 years he was GM, but are now a NHL power. Will Leafs fans be patient to a proper rebuild that is already underway? That's the million dollar question.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Definitely similar in terms of how he wants his hockey team built.

It isn't fair to compare draft records between his time in Vancouver and what we should expect here. Morrison and co. will still provide the information to Nonis and that will be a lot different than whoever gave him the info in Vancouver.

Anyway, Nonis was the youngest GM in NHL history when he was hired in Vancouver. You can tell by the moves he made that he didn't want to make any mistakes and barely made any huge trades other than the Luongo trade, which was easy enough to pull I suppose. Judging by his dealline deals, he echos the sentiments of Burke as he didn't see to give up any big prospects to acquire a huge talent --- only 2nd and 3rd round picks.

What people should expect is a very quiet and reserved person in the media, which is quite the difference from Burke. I have no idea what to expect from him in terms of trades and how he will build the team. I'm sure the experience he gained since his days in Vancouver will change the way he operates with the Leafs. Considering how young he was in Vancouver and still did a fairly good job there, I think he should do fine here. Only thing he needs is time to right the ship.

We'll see how good, or bad, the years have been to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: JadedLeaf

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not to be forgotten is Nonis quiet FA signings that were not big at the time, but turned out pretty good.

Burrows
Mitchell
Rypien

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It isn't fair to compare draft records between his time in Vancouver and what we should expect here. Morrison and co. will still provide the information to Nonis and that will be a lot different than whoever gave him the info in Vancouver.

Anyway, Nonis was the youngest GM in NHL history when he was hired in Vancouver. You can tell by the moves he made that he didn't want to make any mistakes and barely made any huge trades other than the Luongo trade, which was easy enough to pull I suppose. Judging by his dealline deals, he echos the sentiments of Burke as he didn't see to give up any big prospects to acquire a huge talent --- only 2nd and 3rd round picks.

What people should expect is a very quiet and reserved person in the media, which is quite the difference from Burke. I have no idea what to expect from him in terms of trades and how he will build the team. I'm sure the experience he gained since his days in Vancouver will change the way he operates with the Leafs. Considering how young he was in Vancouver and still made a fairly good job there, I think he should do fine here. Only thing he needs is time to right the ship.

We'll see how good, or bad, the years have been to him.

What the Nonis appointment tells me, is Leafs are in a rebuild, his finger prints are all over the Canucks team. More so than Burke if you take away The Sedins. All in all, I wonder where we would be today with the Kessel deal, pretty sure Nonis wouldn't have pulled the trigger on that one. But that's water under the bridge, we are in good hands with a good hockey man. Leafs fans are not a patient bunch but you can't argue where the Nucks are today partially due to Nonis.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What the Nonis appointment tells me, is Leafs are in a rebuild, his finger prints are all over the Canucks team. More so than Burke if you take away The Sedins. All in all, I wonder where we would be today with the Kessel deal, pretty sure Nonis wouldn't have pulled the trigger on that one. But that's water under the bridge, we are in good hands with a good hockey man. Leafs fans are not a patient bunch but you can't argue where the Nucks are today partially due to Nonis.

Nonis' prints are also all over the Leafs right now as well, only with some Burke stamps on top of them.

I honestly doubt you'll see a rebuild right now. He'll probably just add to the core and keep building with the team he has right now. He seems to love some of the players here, he just needs to add the pieces around them. We'll see how different it'll look in 2013/2014.

We know he's done a lot of the leg work on trades and signings since his time here, so I think he had a lot more say in a lot of the things done than people give him credit for.

We'll see what he can do as THE voice, instead of being only A voice.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nonis' prints are also all over the Leafs right now as well, only with some Burke stamps on top of them.

I honestly doubt you'll see a rebuild right now. He'll probably just add to the core and keep building with the team he has right now. He seems to love some of the players here, he just needs to add the pieces around them. We'll see how different it'll look in 2013/2014.

We know he's done a lot of the leg work on trades and signings since his time here, so I think he had a lot more say in a lot of the things done than people give him credit for.

We'll see what he can do as THE voice, instead of being only A voice.

I think we are likely to see present Marlies, migrating to the Leafs. Draft, develop, and hopefully promote. I expect small moves that seem like nothing but end up as jewels. Mark Fraser was signed last year, I recall arguing with a Devils fan who called him dud, I disagreed, Eakins has cited his play this year. This one should be credited to Nonis, it was his move. Fraser could be a surprise much like Mcquade was for the Bruins. Small moves can have a positive effect on a team's future as well as big moves.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'm still at the point of reeling from what happen yesterday. I haven't even really gotten to point of looking at the players, And trade and draft philosophy.

I'm waiting to see with great interest to what the first move will be from Nonis.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I feel confident with Nonis as "The Man", as long as he gets autonomy most of the times. Hopefully he too is a man of strong principles, and walks out if ownership tries to meddle too much. I'm aware that's not entriely why Burke departed.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I feel confident with Nonis as "The Man", as long as he gets autonomy most of the times. Hopefully he too is a man of strong principles, and walks out if ownership tries to meddle too much. I'm aware that's not entriely why Burke departed.

I am hoping the same thing.

I want Nonis to call the shots...not some chairman of the board that doesn't know anything about hockey.

That "GM and SVP of the Leafs" better mean for something.

AndMat*

I am hoping the same thing.

I want Nonis to call the shots...not some chairman of the board that doesn't know anything about hockey.

That "GM and SVP of the Leafs" better mean for something.

Nonis has to much pride not to be calling the shots, The board just wants to know what is going on with the hockey team at all times, Like any other team.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I believe Nonis is much more reserved, both while speaking in the media and how he runs the team, than Burke.

To use a baseball reference, Burke is your prototypical HR hitter. Go big or go home. Hits lots of homeruns(Phaneuf, Lupul/Gardiner, Kaberle trades) but also strikes out a lot(Komisarek signing, failed to get big free agents like Suter, Richards, as well as being unable to land a 1C or starter).

Nonis, on the other hand, hits for average. Lots of singles, doubles that have small,
Positive impacts on the club, but rarely a big home run style deal(Luongo was his only one)

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
If we look at the Nonis body of work in Vancouver, he truly does build from the net out. He traded away Cloutier (who Burke had stubbornly hung on to), traded a 2nd rd pick for Mika Noronen, and finally got Vancouvers goalie situation stabilized by trading for Luongo. Just to top that off, he drafted Schneider.

With the goalie situation okay he started traded for and signing defenseman which he was able to keep around for reasonable prices. Salo, Mitchell, Krajicek (came in the luongo deal but played surprisingly well for a few years), Edler (drafted same year as Cory), Bieska and Ohlund were his defence core.

Nonis was fired after finishing out of the playoffs but I was always curious about what he would have done with 5 years and the time to build the offense more. I'm kind of hoping Nonis comes in and once again cleans up Burkes mistakes again in goal and on defense. If he's able to work that out, I'm more than happy to keep him around for an extended period.

If we see the same Burke-type of moves of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, we could always fire him and begin the search for the right GM.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It will be exactly the same with less bluster.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's removed by the end of the Year. Gretzky is brought in as the next GM.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe Nonis has the autonomy as GM, not a JFJ 2.0 here. He has had the necessary experience in the NHL to operate without a net, but I understand Leafs fans, one always wonders, does the board control the operations on the ice.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

He actually said this is one place where they differ. If you remember Vancouver, they were hardly a "tough" team, albeit very skilled - We are neither.

I worry that this is another 4 year setback. Also, on twitter James Mirtle posted that Perry stated that he would have "seriously considered" reuniting with his former GM.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Nonis' fingerprints are already on this team (Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardiner, Franson, etc). It's just that most people are either overlooking or not realizing that because Nonis didn't have the GM title when he was making those contributions.

I was watching some reactions from players and when they asked Colby Armstrong about it, he's the only guy that acknowledged that Nonis should be able to step in with ease because he was heavily involved behind the scenes.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Did the board have an effect on the court for the Raptors? What about the Jays? Did they interject with the soccer team? I don't believe this, this move was about corporate perception. They want a smart man to run the business but one that can connect with fans and not make public stands. They wanted someone like Ken Holland and they have it with Nonis. Anthopoulos, you have to love at the way he connects with his fan base. Colangelo the same, his record is suspect but he is rebuilding it and never shies away from the camera and takes on the media.

I think Nonis will do a fine job. He did in Van and he will here.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
He actually said this is one place where they differ. If you remember Vancouver, they were hardly a "tough" team, albeit very skilled - We are neither.

I worry that this is another 4 year setback. Also, on twitter James Mirtle posted that Perry stated that he would have "seriously considered" reuniting with his former GM.

As much as I'd love to add Perry to this squad, he's not the member of Anaheim's pending UFA players we need.

Also, while this speaks volumes to what players think of Burke, I do believe Carlyle will have some pull when it comes to Perry, as well as Getzlaf, if they get to free agency.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Did the board have an effect on the court for the Raptors? What about the Jays? Did they interject with the soccer team? I don't believe this, this move was about corporate perception. They want a smart man to run the business but one that can connect with fans and not make public stands. They wanted someone like Ken Holland and they have it with Nonis. Anthopoulos, you have to love at the way he connects with his fan base. Colangelo the same, his record is suspect but he is rebuilding it and never shies away from the camera and takes on the media.

I think Nonis will do a fine job. He did in Van and he will here.

In short, they don't always have to be in the spotlight, they don't make outrageous promises, and they don't act like spoiled children.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is something I never thought of before, I would rather have Perry then Getzlaf. It's always assumed you need both, like they are the Sedin twins. Both would be nice, but I think Perry is a better player.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
This is something I never thought of before, I would rather have Perry then Getzlaf. It's always assumed you need both, like they are the Sedin twins. Both would be nice, but I think Perry is a better player.

I actually have that big feeling. We do need a centre though but I think Perry is the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad