The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I dont understand why everyone keeps on saying this. Is it denial?

@DarrenDreger

Flyers asked for Kadri and Kulemin from the Leafs for Mike Richards. Toronto said they would consider it, but never heard back from Phi.

Are you talking about what I said or what binop7 originally said?

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
He was worth that price tag. A solid two way Dman, leadership skills, cup ring, to a desperate team at the deadline to boot.

Lupul was a throw in, Burke wanted Beauch for Gardiner, Ducks forced Lupul on him because he was considered a cap dump that would alleviate losing a higher end prospect.

Don't forget that Lupul had played about 40 games in two seasons up to that point. He was an okay acquisition that turned into a fantastic one.

Beauch wasn't worth Gardiner, but it was a tricky situation with Schultz still being penned into the Ducks future. Lupul was basically a fluke I agree.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
I dont understand why everyone keeps on saying this. Is it denial?

@DarrenDreger

Flyers asked for Kadri and Kulemin from the Leafs for Mike Richards. Toronto said they would consider it, but never heard back from Phi.

So I was remembering correctly. I remember a cluster**** on these boards after that news came out. Kuli was fresh off scoring 30 goals though

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
So I was remembering correctly. I remember a cluster**** on these boards after that news came out. Kuli was fresh off scoring 30 goals though

How were you remembering correctly? The way you said it, it's as if Burke flat out denied Richards. He seemed open and I think he would've done the deal had Philly gotten back to him. Holmgren wasn't going to pull the trigger right then and there either, multiple sources said he was shopping around and he wanted to trade with a Western team to make sure Richards would be out of the conference.

And Burke was offered Carter originally but he flat out declined that one which was the right move.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Are you talking about what I said or what binop7 originally said?

In general everyone on this board and the main board thinks it was for carter when media sources stated it was for richards... I've just always been confused as to why.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
How were you remembering correctly? The way you said it, it's as if Burke flat out denied Richards. He seemed open and I think he would've done the deal had Philly gotten back to him. Holmgren wasn't going to pull the trigger right then and there either, multiple sources said he was shopping around and he wanted to trade with a Western team to make sure Richards would be out of the conference.

And Burke was offered Carter originally but he flat out declined that one which was the right move.

The way Dreger worded it though

If Toronto said yes would Richards be a Leaf? We know that Holmgren was trying to move them asap. He ended up getting a great deal from LA.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Its pretty simple, the way that I remember it being explained:

Burke offers package x for Mike Richards.

Holmgren says for x you can have Jeff Carter.

Burke says no.

Holmgren says Kulemin and Kadri for Richards.

While Burke is making a decision, Holmgren gets a better deal from LA.

Burke is sol

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010

Ill believe you if you can provide proof from a reputable source

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
In general everyone on this board and the main board thinks it was for carter when media sources stated it was for richards... I've just always been confused as to why.

You're not serious right? Dig a little deeper, you already found Dreger's tweet on Richards, it's not far behind. Holmgren originally offered Carter for that package, Burke refused. Then Richards was offered and it was considered.

The way Dreger worded it though

If Toronto said yes would Richards be a Leaf? We know that Holmgren was trying to move them asap. He ended up getting a great deal from LA.

Don't think it would've been a done deal right then and there. Again, sources stated that Holmgren was actively shopping and preferred to trade Richards to a Western team. He didn't even come back to Toronto to try and ask for more, it was clear he wanted Mike out west.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Boston-area writer here ... cover the Bruins 20 years, watched them since '65 ... big deal ... just to contextualize ...

Because of how Peter Chiarelli changed the Bruins following Mike O'Connell (a Canadian following an American), I couldn't help get curious about Burke vs. Nonis now that the name of the guy with the final say has changed.

I definitely don't agree with anyone who's assumed things aren't going to change and this is why:
When Nonis was Vancouver GM in 06-07, he had a few years to put together his club, and the breakdown of the NHL camp roster was as follows: 26 Canadians, 2 U.S., 6 Swedes, 2 Czechs, 2 Finns and a player from Denmark.
Burke leaves a team with 19 Canadians, 8 U.S., 2 Swedes, and 1 each from Russia, Finland, Germany and Belarus.

The post-lockout O'Connell Bruins of 05-06 had: 19 Canadians, 14 U.S., 2 each from Russia, Sweden, Czech Rep. and one Finn.

Chiarelli's team last year: 22 Canadians, 7 U.S. and 1 each from Khaz., Fin., CR, Slovakia, France and Germany.

It's not the be-all, end-all, but hard to ignore the trend, culture and philosophy.

So while Nonis may keep certain American players he's married to, I expect a Chiarelli-like change over the next few seasons that will crystalize with Canadian dominance and only a half-dozen Swedes if one of them's a Naslund and two of the others are Sedins.

Interesting post.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Don't think it would've been a done deal right then and there. Again, sources stated that Holmgren was actively shopping and preferred to trade Richards to a Western team. He didn't even come back to Toronto to try and ask for more, it was clear he wanted Mike out west.

Yeah, I've heard that before too. Makes sense

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think the Flyers were too interested in trading Richards to an Eastern Div rival, especially when LA stepped up with Schenn and Simmonds. Hard for the Leafs to match that return.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
You're not serious right? Dig a little deeper, you already found Dreger's tweet on Richards, it's not far behind. Holmgren originally offered Carter for that package, Burke refused. Then Richards was offered and it was considered.
No im not interested in digging a little deeper for you. I proved my point now you prove yours.

Like i said earlier, I will believe you if you bring up a valid source proving your point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad