The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
This is something I never thought of before, I would rather have Perry then Getzlaf. It's always assumed you need both, like they are the Sedin twins. Both would be nice, but I think Perry is a better player.

Player to player, absolutely Perry>Getzlaf.

However, look at our line-up, and ask yourself which top 6 is better?

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Perry

OR

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin

Adding Getz does a lot more for us than adding Perry, though if we signed Perry I suppose we could trade Kessel for a #1 centre.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looking at Nonis top draft picks, seems he likes USHL, CJHL, as his top picks, and a preference of Swedes in the 2nd rd. He has also picked 2 Russians, abeit in the later rounds.

Of note he took the late Luc Bourdon over Kopitar. Maybe a preference to NA players atleast in the high picks, over Euro's. But he seems to go all over the globe, even picking QMJHL players, something Burke hasn't done here.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Looking at Nonis top draft picks, seems he likes USHL, CJHL, as his top picks, and a preference of Swedes in the 2nd rd. He has also picked 2 Russians, abeit in the later rounds.

Of note he took the late Luc Bourdon over Kopitar. Maybe a preference to NA players atleast in the high picks, over Euro's. But he seems to go all over the globe, even picking QMJHL players, something Burke hasn't done here.

Bourdon still wasn't a bust though. He was well on his way to becoming a good player.

AndMat*

John Shannon has said People in the board say Dave Nonis wont be GM of the leafs Next year and this is just an Interim job,

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
John Shannon has said People in the board say Dave Nonis wont be GM of the leafs Next year and this is just an Interim job,

That, again, doesn't add up. Sportsnet has been all over the place with their over-reaching rumors and speculating stories.

Nonis will have a re-worked contract soon and has no interim tag.

If they didn't want him past this season, they wouldn't have done all those things. They would have slapped the interim tag and then decide in the summer.

Pretty clear they want Nonis here at least for a couple years.

Come on, man.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada

This I don't believe at all. Can't imagine them going through the process again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Definitely similar in terms of how he wants his hockey team built.

It isn't fair to compare draft records between his time in Vancouver and what we should expect here. Morrison and co. will still provide the information to Nonis and that will be a lot different than whoever gave him the info in Vancouver..

Some of you may not know this but current Leafs Leafs director of Amateur scouting Dave Morrison previous job before arriving in Toronto in 2004 was to scout for Vancouver from 1999-2004.

Nonis arrival in Vancouver and Morrison departure begin and end at the same point in 2004.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Some of you may not know this but current Leafs Leafs director of Amateur scouting Dave Morrison previous job before arriving in Toronto in 2004 was to scout for Vancouver from 1999-2004.

Mike Penny was also the head scout for the Nucks for ages, head of the scouting fraternity of the NHL, can't remember what exactly, but I remember running into him and talking. Never was one of the more forthcoming scouts I spoke to. Ron Delorme was another Nuck scout I would see.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Player to player, absolutely Perry>Getzlaf.

However, look at our line-up, and ask yourself which top 6 is better?

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Perry

OR

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin

Adding Getz does a lot more for us than adding Perry, though if we signed Perry I suppose we could trade Kessel for a #1 centre.

Perry can also play centre.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I feel confident with Nonis as "The Man", as long as he gets autonomy most of the times. Hopefully he too is a man of strong principles, and walks out if ownership tries to meddle too much. I'm aware that's not entriely why Burke departed.

actually its not even a little bit of why Burke left, he left because he was forced out the door

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009

i am not aware of shannon ever providing "insider" info that ever came to fruition other than perhaps predicting the end of the lockout when everybody else was too

we shall see if his luongo for kadri and bozak tip comes true, until he gets something right why listen to him?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

As we found out with Burke, its always an interim job unless its Holland or Lamoriello.
I guess we will have to see, but the fear here is that Nonis tries too hard to get this team into the playoffs and makes trades based on short term success. This was JFJ problem, IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
To reiterate before I clamp down at work today.

I expect Nonis will draft, sign, develop, and promote players when ready.

This seems to have worked for the Canucks, it took time however and he was fired before he could reap the rewards, hopefully with what Burke has started, we will see this come to fruition in the next 2 years. Not sure Nonis has a longer leash than Burke so hopefully we land a stud prospect and some of the Marlies and prospects are ready this summer. Or we could be in for another endless cycle of GM searches in 2 years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Nonis is a better fit for the Leafs ownership and the fans here.

He's quiet and reserved. We won't see any major deals or grandstanding. It seems that's what the city wants.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not sure what he'll bring but my patience with Nonis will be über times shorter than it ever was with Burke.

Not comfortable with this franchise right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This I don't believe at all. Can't imagine them going through the process again.

There really wasn't any process here or an actual GM search that took place.

Timing and convenience and continuity of a shortened season beginning in a weeks time, made Nonis the obvious choice presently to keep the ball moving forward, based on his internal knowledge of the players and the organization today.

Because Nonis in not a new nor actual true employee selection/interview/overall job replacement management search undertaking, we do not know what loyalties new ownership will have to him long-term. Nonis never actually applied for nor earned the GM position based on an official hiring process, by new ownership.

For all intents and purposes they perhaps simply left the "interim" title off his present appointment so that it wouldn't open a whole new hornets nest, endless speculation team disruption asking who the next GM will be. What the MLSE BOG has discussed beyond the present is unknown at this time other than speculation.

What we do know is that Nonis realizes that no different than any other GM appointed, he will be expected to produce positive on ice results and be evaluated upon the teams record. He is also aware and apparently has already according to TSN panel taking some accountability for the current teams failures as an extension of the previous GM body of work as his assistant.

That means his GM clock isn't really starting from yesterday but dates back to his actual hiring as assistant GM so he has a track record already in progress. For example Nonis was instrumental in the Phaneuf transaction, doing much of the preliminary work, speaking to Darryl Sutter often prior to the deal being consummated. .It was Poulin and himself that convinced Burke to sign MacArthur originally as the previous GM was not in favour of the idea. All that said suggests there is no honeymoon transition period as new GMs often receive early on in the judgment process when taking over for Nonis and early results will matter to the new ownership group.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
actually its not even a little bit of why Burke left, he left because he was forced out the door

And that was because he refused to change his principles (loudmouth, center of attention, etc) to the boards liking, which is what I was talking about.

fasteddy

Aug 3, 2008
Isn't it nonis that does most of the leg work on trades and signings and burk gives the ok, Look what nonis did with vancouver, He is my first choice on GM. Who is really out there at this time that is any better.

I was getting sick of this team under burk, I Bleed true blue and for me to say that my grandfather would roll over in his grave.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Nonis is a better fit for the Leafs ownership and the fans here.

He's quiet and reserved. We won't see any major deals or grandstanding. It seems that's what the city wants.

Agreed.

When you have a struggling franchise on the ice and the media hoard that takes place in Toronto over analyzing ever little thing, then the last thing you need is extra negative attention (fuel on a raging fire) drawn by the actions of management through words and actions. Out of sight and out of mind the preferred MLSE approach.

The MLSE BOG want to go about their own business quietly and not want to have to answer for actions of the GM by being forced into the media spotlight unnecessarily. The change in corporate voice and image was mentioned in yesterdays PC as a major reason behind the change in leadership.

Nonis will not be hitting the airwaves more than required and not be giving off sound bites that often come back to reflect poorly on the team, when things don't go as planned. He is quiet, reserved, well respected and very media friendly making him very likeable and approachable and that reflects positively on his bosses and the organization in the manner in which he conducts himself.

Yesterday was a prime example of that, where he didn't make any wild 5 year promises, or set any unrealistic expectations for himself or the team.. He simply and honestly stated that he is aware he and his management team have a lot of work ahead and are busy trying to build on what presently exists going forward, and claims to be more patient in his approach to managing. Nothing he said nor did yesterday gave any fuel/ammunition for ridicule for himself nor the organization and that is precisely what Bell/Rogers wants.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
does Nonis get the axe too if we miss the playoffs?
if so then he better get the goalie and top center asap!

Getting a proven starting NHL goalie, or at least a veteran experienced reliable backup to mentor Reimer no doubt at the top of Nonis to-do list at present, preferably before the wheels come off.

The first thing when taking over from Burke in Vancouver was realize the biggest shortcomings of the team was goaltending and went out and got Luongo in short order to address that and begin building from the goalie out.

fasteddy

Aug 3, 2008
Getting a proven starting NHL goalie, or at least a veteran experienced reliable backup to mentor Reimer no doubt at the top of Nonis to-do list at present, preferably before the wheels come off.

The first thing when taking over from Burke in Vancouver was realize the biggest shortcomings of the team was goaltending and went out and got Luongo in short order to address that and begin building from the goalie out.

So what your saying is Nonis gets the job done, Burk said from the beggining he wanted a goaltender and work from the net out and never followed on that plan. Nonis learned from burk and actually follows that plan.

Hope he actually follows through.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
And that was because he refused to change his principles (loudmouth, center of attention, etc) to the boards liking, which is what I was talking about.

i see so the original "ownership meddling" you referenced was MLSE not wanting a "loudmouth"

ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad