The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I EXPECT Nonis to continue building this organization for the future. I do not want to sell of the farm for a few years of success.

Hypothetically, who is the best available GM including Nonis?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
yeah but if he's pressured to win now (which i think he is) then u cant sit back and wait for your assets to grow
nonis has to share the blame during this bb rebuild
theyve been given enough time

Drmckool

Truculence!
Jun 16, 2010
From the T.O
yeah but if he's pressured to win now (which i think he is) then u cant sit back any wait for your assets to grow
nonis has to share the blame during this bb rebuild

He's not necessarily pressured to win, he's pressured to provide content for Rogers and Bell. Therefore he needs to generate interest and as such can supplement winning for a highlight reel player.

Personally I want to watch the Leafs in the playoffs, but i'd rather have a franchise player than a 1-and-done.

fasteddy

Aug 3, 2008
Its not set in stone that you have to build one way or the other.

I want to see him build for the future and make these kids earn their spot around the vets he brings in.

Out of the last 25 years how many seasons were there to cheer for?

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Toronto boy living in Vancouver for the last 8 years. I have to say this with all honesty to my fellow Maple Leafs fans: Nonis was the worst GM in Canucks history. If you talk to Vancouver hockey fans, or the hockey people in that city they will tell you the same. He made horrible free agent signings & trades like Brad Isbister, Jeff Cowan, Curtis Sanford, Kris Beech, Mike Pettinger, Lukas Krajicek, Byron Ritchie, etc....

To add to that ... with his horrible moves I witnessed one of the softest teams to ever play the game. Nonis missed the playoffs with Lu as his tender, and both Sedins working with Naslund in '08 which lead to his firing.

It was one of the biggest mind ****s of all time. People were stunned that a team with such a talented core missed the playoffs. The reason being was that the GM (Nonis) couldn't bring in the right pieces to win.

I don't know what fans are going to expect from Brian Burke Lite... but having Nonis as the main cheese is potentially worse then having Burke himself. Mark my words.. Nonis will be let go either by the end of this season or by mid next season.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Toronto boy living in Vancouver for the last 8 years. I have to say this with all honesty to my fellow Maple Leafs fans: Nonis was the worst GM in Canucks history. If you talk to Vancouver hockey fans, or the hockey people in that city they will tell you the same. He made horrible free agent signings & trades like Brad Isbister, Jeff Cowan, Curtis Sanford, Kris Beech, Mike Pettinger, Lukas Krajicek, Byron Ritchie, etc....

To add to that ... with his horrible moves I witnessed one of the softest teams to ever play the game. Nonis missed the playoffs with Lu as his tender, and both Sedins working with Naslund in '08 which lead to his firing.

It was one of the biggest mind ****s of all time. People were stunned that a team with such a talented core missed the playoffs. The reason being was that the GM (Nonis) couldn't bring in the right pieces to win.

I don't know what fans are going to expect from Brian Burke Lite... but having Nonis as the main cheese is potentially worse then having Burke himself. Mark my words.. Nonis will be let go either by the end of this season or by mid next season.

It's not impossible that he could have learned from his previous experiences and do a better job this time around. Burke has credited Nonis for basically doing the work on the best trades the Leafs have made with the tandem in office. I would hpe that's an indication that Nonis has used his prevoius experience and additional time working behind Burke as a way to better himself in the position and maybe is a bit older and wiser now than before. Only time will tell but I don't think Nonis will have a very long leash with ownership.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hate to use this as an excuse but Nonis was fairly inexperienced when he took over in Vancouver.

He's had quite a few years to gain additional experience.

Time will tell how better, or worst, he got. Considering the impact he's had on a few trades and signings Burke credited him for, I think it could be a positive move.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
The main difference I see is Nonis understands the importance of a top goalie much more than Burke.

Everyone said for years the Canucks were a goalie away from being good in the Cloutier years, but Burke wouldnt get that last piece to put them over the top.

Nonis comes in, trades for Luongo and drafts a top goalie in the first round.

I would expect to see something very similar.

Whether its dealing for Luongo, who knows, maybe a top young goalie like Bernier could be on his radar.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hate to use this as an excuse but Nonis was fairly inexperienced when he took over in Vancouver.

He's had quite a few years to gain additional experience.

Time will tell how better, or worst, he got. Considering the impact he's had on a few trades and signings Burke credited him for, I think it could be a positive move.

He's also had an excellent Mentor.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So what your saying is Nonis gets the job done, Burk said from the beggining he wanted a goaltender and work from the net out and never followed on that plan. Nonis learned from burk and actually follows that plan.

Hope he actually follows through.

The common knowledge, longstanding, tried and tested successful team building approach of building from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle through your centers is as old as time itself, and what I expect from Nonis.

Inexplicably and incomprehensibly (as to what he could possibly have been thinking) our former experienced GM :dunce:thought successful team building was accomplished by building from the Wings In (Kessel, JVR, Lupul, MacArthur) with weak centers, shaky defense and soft goaltending as his path taken, with a soft, small, easily intimidated team to boot.. All of which rightfully produced expected disastrous, bottom of the league standing end results for a very poor ill-conceived plan, you might expect from a greenhorn GM but not a experienced one.

Not only was the plan backasswards in approach to the norm, but the saddest part was that the best assets of top picks and prospects where used to go down this fatal road, leaving us where we are today settled near the bottom of the NHL.

Yesterday the TSN panel (MacKenzie or Dreger) confirmed that Nonis didn't support Burke fully on the Kessel trade, and wanted to take the slower patient approach at the time it occurred. So Nonis hopefully focuses his attention where its needed in #1 G and #1 C and building up the defense to provide a more successful on ice winning product.

Last edited:

AndMat*

Dave Nonis new 3 years contract

Doug Maclean just said he heard last night he has a 3 year contract extension with the leafs, Nonis will be on hockey central at 12:20

AndMat*

Doug Maclean just said he heard last night he has a 3 year contract extension with the leafs, Nonis will be on hockey central at 12:20

AndMat*

I heard it 2. if so i am happy as a leaf fan and do not mind 5 years with Dave Nonis

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
In the big picture, it's the right choice.. He knows the team inside out, why would we risk some new guy coming in here and putting lower/higher values on the wrong players? He's not a flashy name, but he's likely the right name.

DaveT83*

Who reported he was to be replaced by the end of Season again?

Good 3 years is the perfect length - not too long - not too short.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised by this if true. I didn't think he'd see next season.

AndMat*

Nonis said he was not asked to make the playoffs but to build the team longterm.
"Pieces here that are gonna be here long term.
"He was not asked to make the playoffs" and wont be fired if he does not"
"want's size down the middle"
"want to build from the net out like burke"
"you can't put the building blocks in place then move them
"if we trade a young player we trade him for another young player for a position we need"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad