The Dallas Stars look really bad

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They struggle to score, and Heiskanen is getting way too much ice time, which hurts them a lot. Heiskanen really can’t create enough offence or move the puck well enough for them at the moment. He has 1 point in the last 11 games, Klingberg and Lindell should both be playing way more than him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They struggle to score, and Heiskanen is getting way too much ice time, which hurts them a lot. Heiskanen really can’t create enough offence or move the puck well enough for them at the moment. He has 1 point in the last 11 games, Klingberg and Lindell should both be playing way more than him.

Well that was uneducated.

Thank you for sharing! :laugh:

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Apparently you don’t watch the Stars. Heiskanen would have a lot more points if the other players could finish.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
They are built to be a carbon copy. Should be another good battle if they face each other again. Stars started strong in the last series, but faded under the "heavy" play of the Blues is the storyline.

Don't have the same strength down the middle. Blues Cs are a nightmare to go up against

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
They are built to be a carbon copy. Should be another good battle if they face each other again. Stars started strong in the last series, but faded under the "heavy" play of the Blues is the storyline.

Personally I thought what changed as the series went on was that Dallas’ big three defenseman in Klingberg, Lindell, and especially Heiskanen got wore out carrying the load. The other thing was Binnington took a more active role in playing the puck and helped kill a lot of the Stars’ forechecking.

Very even series overall

Reactions: Timani

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

What concerns me is the usually-anemic display from Dallas's supposed "top guns".

Taking Seguin (34), Benn (21), and Perry (13), their combined point totals are still less than what Connor McDavid's managed to put up just on his own.

Team defense, no complaints. Both goalies in top form, blueline is getting it done. I just would like to see more reliable offensive production. Can't have your cake and eat it too, though, so I don't want them to try and fix something that is clearly getting them wins. :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What concerns me is the usually-anemic display from Dallas's supposed "top guns".

Taking Seguin (34), Benn (21), and Perry (13), their combined point totals are still less than what Connor McDavid's managed to put up just on his own.

Team defense, no complaints. Both goalies in top form, blueline is getting it done. I just would like to see more reliable offensive production. Can't have your cake and eat it too, though, so I don't want them to try and fix something that is clearly getting them wins. :laugh:

Perry is about what i expected but in general the team plays a way more balanced game than in previous seasons. Just look at something like say Game winning goals. The team lead is a 6 way tie at 3 goals. Powerplay goals are also incredibly balanced between both units. In previous years the second unit never did anything and barely played.

Hintz leads the team in goals and Gurianov has as many goals as Benn.

Under Ruff and Hitch it was throw Benn and Seguin out there all the time to produce goals. That is no longer the case.

Last edited:

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
Pavelski hasn't been the Pavelski he used to be.
Perry hasn't been the Perry he used to be.
Benn hasn't been the Benn he used to be.
Seguin hasn't been the Seguin he used to be.

This is the problem.

Reactions: shello

serp

Jan 17, 2016

This is the problem.

Perry was playing sub 10 minutes on the 4th line for most of the season and is not payed all that much to begin with. That is not a problem. People who still expected more out of Perry clearly didn't watch him the last few years. He is contributing as much as i expected him to . He's a limited player after his injuries. For 1.5 Million thats fine.

The other 3 are doing fine. Seguin is a bit snakebitten again but is still leading the team in points , Benn has very good advanced stats and the eye test back that up. He's not getting as many points as he used to. Pavelski is playing as a veteran presence between our two best young forwards . He's also been good on the PK and in general i'm not unhappy with his play.

The team is just not relying that much on the big guns as they used to.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Holy Cherry picking batman.
Perry was never going to be a "top gun" for the Stars. if he was still that caliber of a player, Anaheim would have never bought him out.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

This is the problem.

A few of those guys are snakebitten, but playing good hockey. Their numbers are sucking, but they're playing the right way.

I still think they need 1 more top 6 forward, and Johns to either come back healthy or a top 4 dman that can eat some minutes.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Holy Cherry picking batman.
Perry was never going to be a "top gun" for the Stars. if he was still that caliber of a player, Anaheim would have never bought him out.

Well I was making a point, clearly, that we've got some lacklustre numbers up front.

But you could even swap Perry with, say, Radulov, and it's still not not much more than McDavid on his own.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well I was making a point, clearly, that we've got some lacklustre numbers up front.

But you could even swap Perry with, say, Radulov, and it's still not not much more than McDavid on his own.

But thats just not how the team plays. Just look at the last few games. Once the team is up by more than 1 they're mostly focussed on lulling everybody to sleep and conserve energy . Even in the Winter Classic . Once the Stars lead by two they killed the game.

In a more offensive minded system the top guys numbers would be better although i doubt the team overall would be.

The team is build on its defense and goaltending.

The team clarly doesn't care about anybodies individual numbers.

McDavids numbers would be way down if he was in Seguins spot. Sure they would be higher than Seguins currently but not close to where they are in Edmonton. Oilers need to him be all world all the time. Stars don't need anybody to do that.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I guess when you are the best team in the league since October people need to make stuff up (the guy crying about Heiskanen) or complain that certain players aren't scoring enough.

My answer: Who Cares

If the team wins that is all I care about, if Seguin isn't a PPG but we are 2nd in the central.. who cares?

Anyone who expects players on this team to put up big numbers is misguided on the identity of this team. If you want numbers that identify what this team is about, go look at Bishop and Khudobin being 2nd/4th in GAA and SV% league wide.

Reactions: Timani and serp

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Only managed one goal last night against San Jose, of all teams.

And they scored early, too.

Zero offense for about 58 minutes. That's the one problem this team seems to have, just getting steady offense from their top forwards.

That said, another game allowing two goals or less, which is good.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Zero offense for about 58 minutes. That's the one problem this team seems to have, just getting steady offense from their top forwards.

Yeah, it was clear that Heiskanen was the only player (aside from Khudobin) who was playing well the entire game for the Stars.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada

So it’s crazy that you only scored two one goal against SJ of all teams, but thank god you still managed to shut down their offensive juggernauts.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
You should know better than this AB..

Reactions: AB13

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Figured this one deserves a bump again.

Dallas has had a BRUTAL month, zero wins in March.

Losers of 6 in a row, and what was once a relatively safe perch in the Central is now a mere 4 point lead over the 9th place Jets.

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Amazingly, this website still projects Dallas to have a 98% chance at making the playoffs......I was certain the number would've dropped a lot more than it has.

Their offense as of late has been even flatter than usual - tied for 5th worst in the league, and shut out in two of their last three games.

Seguin leads the team with 50 points, and at this rate I have a hard time seeing Dallas's leading scorer even hitting 60 points on the year. That is just mind-blowing to me, especially for a (current) playoff team. :help:

What is the deal with these guys? Haven't been this bad since early October.

EDIT: That website hasn't updated from last night's games, so it'll definitely drop below 98%. That makes way more sense. :laugh:

Reactions: 63 others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad