The Dallas Stars look really bad

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah they're very hot-and-cold, Jekyll-and-Hyde. On the upswing at the moment, at least, so that's been fun.

Hope they can get some more breathing room in the top three of the Central, though, maybe put some distance between themselves and the Wild/Preds/Hawks in the lower ranks and gain some ground on those pesky Blues.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them score first for once.

Seems like they're always battling back to pick up these W's, and while that's great to see (best in the league when trailing after two), their offense should be able to generate more than it does. Need a better first period.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I don't think 0-3-1, 4-0-1, 1-3-0, 5-0-0 are out of the ordinary for almost any team. Yes, the mantra should be "never lose 2 in a row" but I doubt it happens on any but the team with the best record. Mini slumps and streaks are probably part of a long season.

Especially when you figure in strength of schedule, the times the Stars have played 5 games in 7 days or something similar, their longest in league travel schedule, and of course, the surprise firing of their coach, leading to the 1-3 segment.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think 0-3-1, 4-0-1, 1-3-0, 5-0-0 are out of the ordinary for almost any team. Yes, the mantra should be "never lose 2 in a row" but I doubt it happens on any but the team with the best record. Mini slumps and streaks are probably part of a long season.

Especially when you figure in strength of schedule, the times the Stars have played 5 games in 7 days or something similar, their longest in league travel schedule, and of course, the surprise firing of their coach, leading to the 1-3 segment.

It's just weird the team never goes 5-5 or something like that. It's streaks all the way through.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Took a while to get the fwd chemsitry correct and the right line combos.

I think they have their direction now and there is consistant ice time amongst all lines

I predicted at the start of the year Dallas will be a significantly better team in the 2nd half and Pavelski will get hot. I still hold that view. Glad they snapped that horrible october stretch and sitting in a good spot tied for 2nd in the west before the ASB

The stars will be a player when the whips are cracking this year.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Took a while to get the fwd chemsitry correct and the right line combos.

I think they have their direction now and there is consistant ice time amongst all lines

I predicted at the start of the year Dallas will be a significantly better team in the 2nd half and Pavelski will get hot. I still hold that view. Glad they snapped that horrible october stretch and sitting in a good spot tied for 2nd in the west before the ASB

The stars will be a player when the whips are cracking this year.

This could be a major factor down the stretch for Dallas. We run 12 forwards 12-18 minutes almost every game. We run defenders 14-24 minutes almost every game.

That could be a huge benefit down the stretch and into the playoffs in terms of fatigue. I remember playing the Jets earlier this year and they played their fourth line 4 minutes or less. That is big strain on their top guys if it continually happens (can't say it's that extreme every game, not sure).

Under Hitchcock, we ran Seguin, Benn, Radulov 21-22 minutes everynight and they collapsed at the end of the season, nothing in the tank and missed the playoffs.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i think they leaned too hard on heiskanen with all the injuries. he's been capable but not nearly as explosive lately as he started the year. i would love to see them dial him back to around 20 minutes a night and let the other fantastic defensemen they have give him a breather. it's easy to forget he's only 20.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
i think they leaned too hard on heiskanen with all the injuries. he's been capable but not nearly as explosive lately as he started the year. i would love to see them dial him back to around 20 minutes a night and let the other fantastic defensemen they have give him a breather. it's easy to forget he's only 20.

He's still playing the same way he was earlier in the season. He's been fantastic, the puck just isn't bouncing his way offensively lately and guys aren't finishing on chances. He will have a hot streak soon I'm sure. Can't keep him off the board forever

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Stars looking good despite their top guns struggle to put pucks in the net.

Great goaltending and defense obviously drive this team, but once Seguin gets going and Klingberg is back healthy, watch out. They definitely could secure home ice advantage in round 1.

What's really strange is that their big off-season signings have been disappointing but their young guys have stepped up. I'm very impressed with the offensive skills and speed of Gurianov, for instance.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bipolar 2019-20 Dallas Stars

1-7-1, 14-1-1, 0-3-1, 4-0-1, 1-3-0, 5-0-0

I feel many teams in the west are as bipolar. Oilers started 7-1, played .500 for a month, then a 10-game-ish losing streak, then 4-0-1 recently.

Same with Flames, Avs, Lightning, Leafs. Injuries and chemistry and momentum/confidence play a huge part.

With that said there are only 3 good teams in the West and the Stars are definitely one of them.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Bipolar 2019-20 Dallas Stars

1-7-1, 14-1-1, 0-3-1, 4-0-1, 1-3-0, 5-0-0

If you combine those six groupings into three, representing longer time periods, they were 15-8-2, 4-3-2, and 6-3-0, all similar nicely above .500 records.

No time to do it, but obviously the first group has 25 games and the next 2 have 9 each, so splitting the first into the second group would skew the first win % down, since the wins were near the end, but the second group up. I think the last 7 games of the 14-1-1 grouping were wins, so it would be something like 8-8-2, 11-3-2 and (now) 7-3-0.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
How is Sekera playing?

Solid 5-6 who can transition decently well and play good enough. For a while he was playing #4 and it wasn't working, keep him on the bottom pair and he is certainly an above average bottom pairing guy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How is Sekera playing?

He lost alot of mobility because of his injuries and thats noticeable but he's playing well otherwise. Plays well within his new limitations. Doesn't try too much offensively anymore and has been very good defensively.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Happy he is still able to carve out a 3rd pairing job after all the injuries. Always liked him and sad we needed to buy him out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad