The Daily Bozak Thread

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
just under 4 mil seems right for Bozak, Kadri should get like 4.2 for 3 years.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Seeing how in a 64.4m cap world with a 22 man roster it works out to 2.9m average per player.

I'd say a 4m/5m hit better get you something above average. Because who ever you bring in will have to be a below average player to make up for the 1.1m/2.1m per over average that Boz is taking in.

Well gonna be hard to do when Dion,Grabo,Kess,Lups,JVR,Liles(Army,Tuck) eat up over 11 full roster allotments, with only 6 warm bodies.

You need 5 players at 0 cap hit to offset that average.

Right now we have an average of 1.9m per(19m) ,over the 10 contracts we need next year.

Kadri,Gunnar,Frans are all going to come in at well above that 1.9m average. If we are lucky we lock down those 3 for 10m combined.

Leaving 9m to get 7 guys under contract.

Kamo,Fras,McLem come in at 3m combined?

Leaving 6m to get 4 contracts in.

Leaving

Orr,Boz,Mac,O'Byrn,Hamilton,Kost

still as UFAs and Colb as a RFA.

Orr gets 1m= no raise?
Colb 1m= 125k over his base sal now?
Riellys base is just under 1m.

Leaving 3m for 1 contract and no cap space. Leaving Boz,Mac,Hammer and Kost as UFAs.

7.5m for 1 contract if/when they amnesty Komi.

So lets say we lock down Boz at 4m, that leaves us with 3.5m cap left.

After next season UFAs are Dion(6.5),Kessel(5.5),Kuli(2.8),McLem(1.5)Scrivs(612k)
RFAs Reims(1.8) Gards(875k base)Frat(875k base) you see any names in there not due for a raise?

Now we would have 3.5m left over from the past season.
2m from Army,Tucker dropping off
and maybe 2m raise in cap?

So if lucky 7.5m to hand out raises.

Kess gets 2m more
Kuli 1m
McLem .5m
Reims 1.5m

leaving 2.5m to give raises to Dion,Gards,Frat,Scrivs.

So you see, we ain't all that cap flush as many like to boast about.

We will just have enough to keep the status quo, no more big star adds, no big UFAs, this will be our cup contending team for the foreseeable future.

So by the looks of it, to fit in the raises and add say 1 more star level(C) contract, we will need Boz in at proper 3rd line $ 2.5m ish AND amnesty/trade Grabos 5.5m.

Thank you for the logic. Most informative post I've seen in a while. More people should read this and hopefully leafs brass is thinking the same way.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Thank you for the logic. Most informative post I've seen in a while. More people should read this and hopefully leafs brass is thinking the same way.

Problem with leafs brass is the same one as far to many brass, self serving preservation.

This is not a situation where RCs/DNs job is on the line if they dont' make a deep push or win the cup. Like some brass are.

All these two need to do is get us in the POs over the life of their contracts and they will be robo re-signed.

Brass with that mind set tend to sign mediocre talent to higher contracts, if those med players bring those brass some job security.

Once we finally sniffed a PO spot last season, we saw how this mentality kicked in, BB over signed Grabo, instead of moving him at the TD, he kept Mac for this PO push.

We see the same this year Boz,Mac both set to UFA and still here, all for a (brass) job security PO spot.

A GM with true guts ,sits in Dallas ATM.

Someone who was sniffing a PO spot, with a franchise that really could use the PO $ and yet he shipped out all his pending UFAs worth a nickle, why? Because it was the best long term move for the franchise. Sometimes folks have to sacrifice and take on risk to do what is right.

For some reason, i don't believe our brass or ownership see it that way.

This was and has always been a franchise who's only primary goal is to make the POs, no more, no less.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hopefully Nonis will just let Bozak walk because the easiest way to improve this team is to not give Carlyle the option to play him 20 minutes every game.

Just let him walk....nope!

If his contract amount is reasonable we sign him......we are a winning team with him in our lineup....he is part of the 3rd best PK in the league and takes a lot of key faceoffs. I know he is not the ideal 1st line center but he is a valuable asset at the right price and you do not let him walk.

He is vastly underrated on the board.....

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Jay McClement can do everything you describe for way less money , and there are other players like him available every year (via UFA or trade). Bozak doesn't score enough to be relied on as a top centre, end of story. Letting him walk and shuffling his ES minutes to more talented players would improve the team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Problem with leafs brass is the same one as far to many brass, self serving preservation.

This is not a situation where RCs/DNs job is on the line if they dont' make a deep push or win the cup. Like some brass are.

All these two need to do is get us in the POs over the life of their contracts and they will be robo re-signed.

Brass with that mind set tend to sign mediocre talent to higher contracts, if those med players bring those brass some job security.

Once we finally sniffed a PO spot last season, we saw how this mentality kicked in, BB over signed Grabo, instead of moving him at the TD, he kept Mac for this PO push.

We see the same this year Boz,Mac both set to UFA and still here, all for a (brass) job security PO spot.

A GM with true guts ,sits in Dallas ATM.

Someone who was sniffing a PO spot, with a franchise that really could use the PO $ and yet he shipped out all his pending UFAs worth a nickle, why? Because it was the best long term move for the franchise. Sometimes folks have to sacrifice and take on risk to do what is right.

For some reason, i don't believe our brass or ownership see it that way.

This was and has always been a franchise who's only primary goal is to make the POs, no more, no less.

There is more to consider then just making the playoffs.

Player who are free agents do not currently sign here even if we are offering a similar deal then others....why? They want to make the playoffs and we have not done so in nearly a decade. Then you must consider are own free agents....will they resign with us if we continue to not make the playoffs? Maybe, however we will never get a player signed unless we over pay...no hometown discount.

When we start to show that we are a playoff team year in and year out, we become a place that is desirable to players, which makes contract negotiations easier and more attractive to free agents.

The other point that needs to be made, we need to make the playoffs as the experience it gives our young player who have not made them before. We may not win the cup this year, but making the playoffs and having players play under that pressure can only help us moving forward.

I say Nonis did the right thing here, Bozak IMHO resigns, C Mac I'm not as sure of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak is currently 10th in average mins per game for Centers, if he is allowed to walk, there will be a gaping hole at Center. Think before you act folks.

Colborne, Mcclement, or Grabo cannot make up those mins.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
16 back up tenders are also going to make the POs, it's not like i want any of them for 4+m per either.
Good response :sarcasm:

Translation: I'm losing this argument so ill throw something that makes no sense into the pile.

Still waiting for you to show how average Tyler is, since we now know he is among the top 90 scorers in the NHL this season, which not only makes him a top 6 forward, but a top 3 even.

Here, let me get you started:
Pts: 81st
Goals: tie 60th
Assists: tie 109th
+/-: 606th
Pp: 62nd
Sh: 9th
Gwg: 23rd

I await your proof.

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Let's see: ninety-six top-six forwards in the playoffs. You may not like him, but he's in. :)

Oh I like him a lot. Always have. Severely underrated on these boards like many of our players.

Guy plays a key role beside our star player, but apparently HFBOARDS is much more knowledgeable than not one, but TWO different coaching staffs who insist on using him there.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nonis is not going to throw 6 years of big money at him for 48 games of superb play, it just doesn't work that way.

Lupul got a pretty fair return. I think they will gamble so long as they grab some of his FA years. Not sure what happens with Boz. If they think he has another gear, they might pay him for it and try to dump the contract if he stalls at 45pts. I have my doubts he will sign for third line money, but he has to know he hasn't performed as well as Grabo did before resigning (and perhaps accept that league wide there is less money this season). They may have already bounced around some numbers. I am expecting 3.25 at least but that might not be enough to keep him.

Last edited:

Badger25

Jul 23, 2012
Toronto
No question about keeping Bozak around. He can fit on any line, hes been pretty clutch on draws and he a great lockeroom presence. I would pay him upwards of 3. He shouldn't be paid any more than Bolland.
Kadri would be lucky to get a Duchenesque contract (~3-3.5 I believe) depends how he performs in the playoffs IMO

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
There is more to consider then just making the playoffs.

Player who are free agents do not currently sign here even if we are offering a similar deal then others....why? They want to make the playoffs and we have not done so in nearly a decade. Then you must consider are own free agents....will they resign with us if we continue to not make the playoffs? Maybe, however we will never get a player signed unless we over pay...no hometown discount.

When we start to show that we are a playoff team year in and year out, we become a place that is desirable to players, which makes contract negotiations easier and more attractive to free agents.

The other point that needs to be made, we need to make the playoffs as the experience it gives our young player who have not made them before. We may not win the cup this year, but making the playoffs and having players play under that pressure can only help us moving forward.

I say Nonis did the right thing here, Bozak IMHO resigns, C Mac I'm not as sure of.

Frankly, i believe the whole make the POs to attract UFAs is a little overblown and same for PO exp for the players. Do they hold some value?, ya sure, but i feel there importance is way overstated.

Top UFAs did not come here because we had not offered the long back diving deals, along with the money.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bozak is currently 10th in average mins per game for Centers, if he is allowed to walk, there will be a gaping hole at Center. Think before you act folks.

Colborne, Mcclement, or Grabo cannot make up those mins.

He is currently also 191st in SOG for forwards and 81st in scoring. With all the minutes he burns it's seems unlikely they will need a stud to match his output. The numbers don't lie. He is watching his wingers create, rather than participating in the attack. His lack of shooting means no deflections or rebounds, and any D man covering him knows he is more likely to hang onto the puck rather than get a shot away. His lack of assists even with sniping line mates shows he is not efficient at using his wingers.

Tyler is a good athlete who skates well, hits a bit, and does very well on face-offs but he is choking that top line. 191st in shots man! Doesn't that say all that needs to be said? What is the upside of a player that won't shoot? How many successful top line forwards aren't in the top 150 in SOG? He is a third line player used out of position because of lack of other options.

They seem committed to keeping him, but not sure if they are committed to keeping him with Kessel. I hope they are at least looking.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No question about keeping Bozak around. He can fit on any line, hes been pretty clutch on draws and he a great lockeroom presence. I would pay him upwards of 3. He shouldn't be paid any more than Bolland.
Kadri would be lucky to get a Duchenesque contract (~3-3.5 I believe) depends how he performs in the playoffs IMO

ROR just had a 5m per offer sheet laid at his feet for 1 good season that would fall short of what Kadri is doing this year. Matter of fact Kadri is on pace to destroy the 1 good season ROR had that lead to a 5m offer sheet.

Given the market for top flight Cs, this could very well get ugly fast.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He is currently also 191st in SOG for forwards and 81st in scoring. With all the minutes he burns it's seems unlikely they will need a stud to match his output. The numbers don't lie. He is watching his wingers create, rather than participating in the attack. His lack of shooting means no deflections or rebounds, and any D man covering him knows he is more likely to hang onto the puck rather than get a shot away. His lack of assists even with sniping line mates shows he is not efficient at using his wingers.

Tyler is a good athlete who skates well, hits a bit, and does very well on face-offs but he is choking that top line. 191st in shots man! Doesn't that say all that needs to be said? What is the upside of a player that won't shoot? How many successful top line forwards aren't in the top 150 in SOG? He is a third line player used out of position because of lack of other options.

They seem committed to keeping him, but not sure if they are committed to keeping him with Kessel. I hope they are at least looking.

All one needs to do is go look at Zajac without Parise and we see the fate of Bozak.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Frankly, i believe the whole make the POs to attract UFAs is a little overblown and same for PO exp for the players. Do they hold some value?, ya sure, but i feel there importance is way overstated.

Top UFAs did not come here because we had not offered the long back diving deals, along with the money.

I think the FA thing has been a red herring. We know they didn't make the best offer for Richards. We know they weren't in on Suter, Parise, or Semin. We know they wouldn't give Vokoun a 2 year deal. Nash was never an FA. Cammalleri signed for a million more than the Leafs were said to be interested in paying. There is no indication the Sedins were ever looking outside of Vsncouver. They were not the only club interested in Komi, Beauch, Boz, Mueller, or all the goalies they signed. And Schultz turned down ALL the US clubs plus Vancouver to sign in Edmonton so the Leafs were simply in the same boat as everyone else.

There may actually have been players they tried hard for and missed, but not many, and every club has swung and missed a time or two. I don't see a trend just because Toronto born players aren't playing out their contracts to come home as FAs which is what some people seem to be expecting.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Becoming a yearly playoff team will drastically change the perception among UFA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad