The Daily Bozak Thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What's McClemment making?

Well, Bozak does what He does (better on faceoffs) but not as good. Simply put, anything more than 3.75/yr, for 3 years, is a laugh.

If he wants more, why don't we test how much other teams value a faceoff guy at the draft, and package him with our pick to move up.

He's UFA at the end of the season, not a lot of trade value.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He's UFA at the end of the season, not a lot of trade value.

I honestly think he wouldn't net you a hell of a lot, even if he had another year left.

Not to mention, there can be handshake agreements made that a player willsign with the team he's traded to anyway.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And regret it every single day after.
Be a pretty big hole to fill.

Not sure what people think they're getting for 4-5m anymore

Seeing how in a 64.4m cap world with a 22 man roster it works out to 2.9m average per player.

I'd say a 4m/5m hit better get you something above average. Because who ever you bring in will have to be a below average player to make up for the 1.1m/2.1m per over average that Boz is taking in.

Well gonna be hard to do when Dion,Grabo,Kess,Lups,JVR,Liles(Army,Tuck) eat up over 11 full roster allotments, with only 6 warm bodies.

You need 5 players at 0 cap hit to offset that average.

Right now we have an average of 1.9m per(19m) ,over the 10 contracts we need next year.

Kadri,Gunnar,Frans are all going to come in at well above that 1.9m average. If we are lucky we lock down those 3 for 10m combined.

Leaving 9m to get 7 guys under contract.

Kamo,Fras,McLem come in at 3m combined?

Leaving 6m to get 4 contracts in.

Leaving

Orr,Boz,Mac,O'Byrn,Hamilton,Kost

still as UFAs and Colb as a RFA.

Orr gets 1m= no raise?
Colb 1m= 125k over his base sal now?
Riellys base is just under 1m.

Leaving 3m for 1 contract and no cap space. Leaving Boz,Mac,Hammer and Kost as UFAs.

7.5m for 1 contract if/when they amnesty Komi.

So lets say we lock down Boz at 4m, that leaves us with 3.5m cap left.

After next season UFAs are Dion(6.5),Kessel(5.5),Kuli(2.8),McLem(1.5)Scrivs(612k)
RFAs Reims(1.8) Gards(875k base)Frat(875k base) you see any names in there not due for a raise?

Now we would have 3.5m left over from the past season.
2m from Army,Tucker dropping off
and maybe 2m raise in cap?

So if lucky 7.5m to hand out raises.

Kess gets 2m more
Kuli 1m
McLem .5m
Reims 1.5m

leaving 2.5m to give raises to Dion,Gards,Frat,Scrivs.

So you see, we ain't all that cap flush as many like to boast about.

We will just have enough to keep the status quo, no more big star adds, no big UFAs, this will be our cup contending team for the foreseeable future.

So by the looks of it, to fit in the raises and add say 1 more star level(C) contract, we will need Boz in at proper 3rd line $ 2.5m ish AND amnesty/trade Grabos 5.5m.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I honestly think he wouldn't net you a hell of a lot, even if he had another year left.

Not to mention, there can be handshake agreements made that a player willsign with the team he's traded to anyway.

Add in for a team to take advantage of the 8th year extra option, the player must be yours by this past TD.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Ad hominem attacks from someone who hails from a place where their toilets flush the wrong way, is hardly worthy.:help:

Stick to what you know, rugby.
I doubt most of you haven't seen Leafs in the playoffs. On the other hand, I've been around. Those "opinions" must've been purchased at one of the big box chain stores in Golden Mile.

As for ad hominem, your ilk are the king of that style of debate. Most who compliment Bozak's game are attacked by the depressed section of the "fan base". We tend to forget that teams like Colorado ( who played a horrific game against the toothless flames) are nowhere close to contending.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Let him walk. Kessel deserves a proper 1C. Not Tyler Blowzak
That's a sensible post. We are not going to sign him at Buck or Two prices. In fact, he's probably going to earn around ~$5 million much like Grabovski. I really wonder how we're going to acquire a #1 C, though.

Jamie Benn would be nice, or even someone like Jeff Carter, but I doubt we'll get either. Also, Couts, if we acquire him, doesn't look like a #1C either. He's a better than Bozak, but his shot doesn't look that great nor is his playmaking abilities. Colborne, despite being mediocre defensively and soft as better, is more promising in that regard.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I doubt most of you haven't seen Leafs in the playoffs. On the other hand, I've been around. Those "opinions" must've been purchased at one of the big box chain stores in Golden Mile.

As for ad hominem, your ilk are the king of that style of debate. Most who compliment Bozak's game are attacked by the depressed section of the "fan base". We tend to forget that teams like Colorado ( who played a horrific game against the toothless flames) are nowhere close to contending.

Been following the team for at least 40 years, i can say it's been a pretty sad deal for most of it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's a sensible post. We are not going to sign him at Buck or Two prices. In fact, he's probably going to earn around ~$5 million much like Grabovski. I really wonder how we're going to acquire a #1 C, though.

Jamie Benn would be nice, or even someone like Jeff Carter, but I doubt we'll get either. Also, Couts, if we acquire him, doesn't look like a #1C either. He's a better than Bozak, but his shot doesn't look that great nor is his playmaking abilities. Colborne, despite being mediocre defensively and soft as better, is more promising in that regard.

Sure as heck ain't gonna find another top C with Grabo 5.5m

Boz 5m and a

4m Kadri up the middle.

Best bet is to start with a foundation of Kadri,McLem,(find a 4th liner C,Colb,Hamilton?)

And leave the roster and cap space open for that 1 more top end C.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Bozak was so worth it when Nonis said he would move him for a first, well, nobody came. Simple as that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Bozak was so worth it when Nonis said he would move him for a first, well, nobody came. Simple as that.

Where did he say that? Link?

We know Gillis wanted Bozak, and Nonis said no. Doesn't that mean he values Bozak?

BTW I heard Nonis say he was not moving Kadri, Gardiner, or Bozak unless there was a serious overpayment. None came.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
And JVR he says!:laugh: JVR had 1 point and not even a goal in how many games playing with Bozak? The only reason Kessel has been producing is because of himself. All Bozie does is throw passes to him left, right and center it doesn't even matter if he's covered or not, that pass is going to Phil.

You're hilarious! :laugh: :biglaugh: :propeller

Just stop trying to rag on Bozak. It is starting to look pathetic. You are starting to sound illogical. Kessel producing all because of himself. I guess Kessel should play on his own line then. :laugh: :biglaugh: :propeller And imagine a player going through a dry spell! Kulemin went through one for what, 1 and half years, until he got off of Grabo's line! :laugh: :biglaugh: :propeller

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Were the 2nd and 9th overall picks never ours as well ?

Yes they were.

Can you prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that we would have finished in the exact same positions and drafted the exact same players had the deal not been done?

No? Good. Again I state. Tyler Seguin was NEVER Leaf property.

Lets all move on now.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Seeing how in a 64.4m cap world with a 22 man roster it works out to 2.9m average per player.

I'd say a 4m/5m hit better get you something above average.

Can someone tell me where Bozak sits in the NHL scoring race? I would say probably about 400th or so right?

How many goals this year?
How many points?
What line has he been placed on by two separate coaching systems now?
Where does he rank faceoff wise?
Toi?
QoC?

I'll bet they're all pretty average.
Much lower than your average 4.5 cap hit I'm sure.

Tell me as well, who do you pay to fill his spot, and based on what?

Where does this magical 1c come from?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I say we sign him to a 3 year deal at 11 million total over the 3 years.

3.6 a year is a 2 million a year raise. He loves playing here and will stay.

C Mac could be a different story.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Been following the team for at least 40 years, i can say it's been a pretty sad deal for most of it.
And when I'm in Toronto, I tend to be around relatives who resided in the continent under French. Not that I'm that old ( actually opposite), but I feel the negative energy from the Ballard days.

Thankfully I didn't experience it, because it seems frightening. I have to dine with people who seek refuge in the Jays or even worse, the Raptors. Speaking of the Raps, they are horrible. To get back to the point, we got a pretty interesting product.

No need to undersell the team. :)

PS: Bozak is 88/ 800 in offensive production. That's clearly within the range of a top six forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->