Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Good game for some of our future studs

Hutton, Markstrom and McCann looked damn good

Virtanen hit people, tried to play inspired

Pretty happy with Cracknell to be honest

Sutter your a bum, what are you saving yourself for

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
We did it!

The 3rd period lines were waaaaay better.

Kenins-Sutter-Burrows actually showed some chemistry. On that line was the most effective Sutter has looked so far.
Baertschi came alive when paired up with McCann as well as Vrbata. Go figure, McCann just makes the skill players around him better. Seriously would look at keeping McCann for a minimum of 9 games.
Sedins+Virtanen experiment was not working at all.
Vey is bad.

Hutton is a beauty.
Markstrom was great.

That puts Hansen with the Sedins and Horvat with Dorsett Prust.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
What can I say about McCann that hasn't been said dozens of times in this thread? The guy doesn't seem to care that he's facing NHlers, he plays just how he does in SSM and that lack of fear or hesitation is so ... refreshing to see. Guy has ice water in his veins. I can't see how you don't give him at least 9 games to see how he holds up against non-preseason competition but honestly he looks 10x better than Horvat did last preseason. Extremely impressive so far.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
What can I say about McCann that hasn't been said dozens of times in this thread? The guy doesn't seem to care that he's facing NHlers, he plays just how he does in SSM and that lack of fear or hesitation is so ... refreshing to see. Guy has ice water in his veins. I can't see how you don't give him at least 9 games to see how he holds up against non-preseason competition but honestly he looks 10x better than Horvat did last preseason. Extremely impressive so far.

I don't expect him to continuously play at the level he has all season but he definitely deserves a chance.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Too bad Virtanen never got it going with the Sedins. I guess it's time to put that dream on hold for now.

It's unfortunate, but he should probably be sent back down to juniors. I know the Hitmen isn't a great situation, but what else can you do?

Hutton and McCann, on the other hand, have been extremely surprising. I did not expect this at all. They should both be in the starting lineup and should stay in the NHL if they keep playing like this on a regular basis.

I thought Vey was having an okay game, not as bad as before and he was trying, but man, his skating is just so... tiring to look at. It looks like he uses up half his energy in the first two steps of accelerating. No foot speed. He just can't skate to where he needs to get to. Add that to him easily getting pushed off the puck when he does get there first, and you've got nothing.

Alright Benning, put your money where your mouth is, show me some vet trades and make it happen.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would have said just throw Burrows back with the Sedins, but him and Sutter played well together.

As of now, I really have no idea what happens with the lines. No idea who plays with the Sedins, who Horvat plays with.. no idea.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't expect him to continuously play at the level he has all season but he definitely deserves a chance.

For sure, I mean no player can play 82 games like his last two but just seeing that he is capable of that level of play ... that is exciting. Consistency tends to come with time anyway, but it's the signs of his ceiling that is blowing me away (and I was already optimistic for McCann, just didn't think so soon).

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I would have said just throw Burrows back with the Sedins, but him and Sutter played well together.

As of now, I really have no idea what happens with the lines. No idea who plays with the Sedins, who Horvat plays with.. no idea.

Willie will stick Horvat with Dorsett and i will die inside.

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
"Jared McCann played real good *eye twitch* y'know like he scored a nice goal and made some real good plays but we're not sure if he's quite ready physically like Bo was last year so, y'know because like an 82 game season is such a grind in the NHL like it's so tough playing against grown men like Linden Vey so we think he has to work on getting bigger & stronger and come back to camp with the same intensity."

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Markstrom is the man. Remember when Benning put Markstrom on WAIVERS last year?

Mc Cann is under rated. How did he fall to 24 anyways? :huh:

I honestly hate defending Benning on any level, but his timing with putting JM on waivers was pretty solid. Pre-season had just ended and teams basically had their rosters set. Regardless of Markstrom's previous hype, thats a big risk for a team to take given his track record so far in the NHL and the fact that they would have to keep him on their roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad