Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Will take it seriously when they waive/trade those guys. Who exactly are they going to displace, Vey and Corrado. Hardly making waves.

McCann and Hutton at this point aren't getting sent down and when the Canucks are trying to get younger that's huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Other than richardson,duclair and joe vitale ????

that is pretty much the roster Arizona is going to assemble game 1

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
McCann because of the better speed and hands.

Doesn't mean he has a higher chance of reaching that potential - just that he has a higher one.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I wonder what #51 and #60 translate to in big boy numbers.

Maybe just backwards for both? I don't think anyone has taken Richardson's #15 and Hutton could win a spot at the expense of Weber.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If McCann and Hutton force anyone out, who are we talking here?

Logic would say Vey and Sbisa/Weber/Corrado.

Likely that other, useful players are going out.

I'd be bold and predict, with our management and coaching history, that it means Markstrom and Horvat being cut, with Hutton playing center and McCann playing as our back up.

If Cracknell and Gaunce and Virtanen are given a longer look, I cringe to think about who could possibly cut to make room for them. Henrik, Edler and Tanev?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Kenins being able to get sent down leaves options open.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
But in this context, I think the bottom 3 lines would be getting pretty similar icetime.

If I swapped them, it would look equally weird having Vrbata on a 4th line, same with Burrows.

I think what you're looking for is more like:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Higgins - Sutter - Hansen
Gaunce - McCann - Kenins

I don't agree with just getting rid of our only 2 physical forwards, but that would make sense in what you are going for.

I'd like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
Kenins - McCann - Dorsett/Prust
Vey, Higgins (Inj.)

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bartkowski
Hutton

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Okay let's see...

McCann, fantastic game. Smart plays everywhere, always makes sure to get back to the defensive zone, and that nasty wrist shot shows up once again.

Hutton, smart player, and I love the way he moves up the ice.

Surprising round of applause to Luca Sbisa. Aside from like, 2 Pizzas, I liked his game. Physical, some good breakout passes, and he drew 2 penalties.

Markstrom was easily the best player in Blue and Green. Really liked his rebound control, he seems to be able to gobble up pucks well. Not to mention, his movement is far better than what I saw a year ago.

Sutter, after an invisible start, actually showed up and pleased me later on. I liked him with Kenins and Burrows.

Baertschi was pretty good. He clearly has the skillset, and I liked his shot in this game. In the 3rd period, his ability to cycle and play along the boards really impressed me.

Let's not put the Sedins with Virtanen again.

Virtanen wasn't overly impressive to me. Dumb penalty in the 1st, but other than a few plays in front of the net, and a few hits, he doesn't look like a 6th overall pick in my eyes.

Corrado has been brutal since Training Camp. Tons of turnovers, often out of position. I thought he'd be ready to make the jump but it's looking to be less and less likely that he'll earn an NHL spot barring injuries.

Vrbata and the Sedins were just meh, nothing amazing IMO, but they weren't liabilities.

Weber wasn't very good if you ask me, he made a lot of dumb pinches, and a few turnovers.

Vey had his best game IMO, still not very good, and still outclassed by McCann.

I've liked Cracknell quite a lot, he seems to be smart and strong, though his skating needs improvement. I have absolutely no problem with him as a depth forward, and I liked him with the Sedins.

Everyone else I didn't really have an opinion on. Not really noticeable.

Props to whoever made that title.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
My realistic line-up at this point:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett
Kenins, Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Keep Virtanen and stretch his 9 games until Higgins returns and then send him down. Not quite ready yet.

Try to trade Vey, and if they can't waive him. Move forward.

Send Corrado down to the farm ready for a call-up.

Switch the defense around on a game-by-game basis because I know it's not realistic to completely remove Sbisa. I like Bartkowski's skating and passing up to the neutral zone, and Hutton can take the rest.

And put some fracking youth on the 2nd unit powerplay. That thing works. Two straight powerplay goals from the youth powerplay. The veteran-laden powerplay last year had what, 3 all year last season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In what parallel universe or in what twilight zone was Sutter a faceoff ace in Pittsburgh?....the guy looks worse than Vey if that's possible....did Benning really say that they acquired him to win draws and if so, did he actually see him play?....going to a long year if he's the first guy over the boards on the penalty kill and is expected to win a faceoff to get the puck out.:help:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
In what parallel universe or in what twilight zone was Sutter a faceoff ace in Pittsburgh?....the guy looks worse than Vey if that's possible....did Benning really say that they acquired him to win draws and if so, did he actually see him play?....going to a long year if he's the first guy over the boards on the penalty kill and is expected to win a faceoff to get the puck out.:help:

He was like 49% last season, let's wait and see how he does in real games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad