The Coyotes are terrible and can't score

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Sure, the league wants Arizona to fail after they've propped them up for years like weekend at Bernie's. The draft lottery is closely watched to make sure there's no mucking around. This isn't some bush league lottery like the Stern era NBA.
The NHL is much more of bush league than the other "major" sports

Reactions: dukeofjive

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
They should have gotten McDavid.

The hopes and dreams of Arizona hockey fans were invested in McEichel. Even landing #2 would have been great. I was watching the lottery results in a hotel room outside of Boston. It was in the cards until it wasn't. Oilers won again and Coyotes walked away with Strome. Seeing some of the guys selected after Strome is salt on the wound.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Shots on net (just like +/-) is a misleading stat that needs context. Just saying Arizona has gotten 2 goals on 164 shots doesn't really show how many real goal scoring chances they got

Sure but I saw them hit 2 posts with goalie beat in the first period I saw them play

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Starting the season without Galchenyuk and Dvorak is pretty rough.. Arizona isn't a team that can afford to lose good forwards.

Right now they're icing like 1x 2nd line and 3x bottom 6 lines. Put those two guys in the lineup and suddenly they can ice like 3x 2nd lines. It's going to make a big difference.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Strome needs to step up. Guys drafted after him are making big contributions. He needs to do more than win faceoffs. The guy he "carried" in juniors is lighting it up as well, not a good look.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Strome needs to step up. Guys drafted after him are making big contributions. He needs to do more than win faceoffs. The guy he "carried" in juniors is lighting it up as well, not a good look.
idk what ur talking about he has scored exactly 50% of all Coyotes goals and is carrying them offensivley :sarcasm:

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They really cheat the cap yearly. No one cares because it's the cap floor. But it should not occur.
That’s just the business that they have to work with given their owernship and arena situations.

Honestly, I think that no later than 2022 that the coyotes will be gone from Arizona. Sadly, it really comes down to the Suns owner. They can get out of their lease in 2022, but they are still talking with the city about major renos to the arena. Talks about building a new arena to share with the coyotes isn’t something that the suns owner wants.

So, either they commit to make it work in Glendale or they leave. They’ve got to pick their option. But if they are just holding
Out hope that either the suns owner changes his mind or sells the team to someone who wants to buy the coyotes and bring them into a shared new building, then they will continue to be what they have been since 2012.

Their chances of success in AZ was sealed when the NHL told colangelo that NHL hockey wouldn’t come to AZ in his lifetime, so they went ahead to build a basketball focused arena.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Incoming offer sheet for Matthews. Nothing left to lose.

If the Yotes are taking zombie contracts on just to hit the cap floor, are they really in the position to offer sheet a guy on the richest team in the league? Kinda like the Oakland A's trying to steal someone off the New York Yankees.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Remains to be seen.
This is his 3rd year.
Year 1 - 70 points
Year 2 - 70 points (with 1 less win)
Year 3 - struggling again

Chayka's gotta get results, especially when he's implied in each of the last 2 off-seasons that his team is ready to take the step for the playoffs.

The only move he's made that has impressed me a lot was Keller.

People blew their load early on with the Datsyuk trade and acted like getting Chychrun was the heist of the century, but as it stands wight now Detroit won that deal AINEC. Chelowski has more upside than Chychrun, and Detroit got a free Hronek who is currently on the roster.

This is a results league and you are what your record says you are.
I have this same argument with my fellow Flyers fans about Hextall vs. Holmgren. Some maintain Homer was WOAT and pretend Hextall is some kind of GM wizard, but one GM inherited the literal last place team in the NHL, built it, made the conference finals twice, won 7 playoff series, made a Cup Final, did everything he could to try to address defense & goaltending, and hired (and fired sigh) the best coach I've ever seen this team have. The other hasn't won anything and has wasted the prime years of Giroux, Voracek & Simmonds (all players the prior WOAT GM acquired, mind you), has not really attempted to improve our defense or goalie situation in any way, and hired his son's college coach out of nepotism.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You guys? My team has a Stanley Cup banner in the rafters more recently than Toronto as well, and has also gone to a Conference Final more recently despite not making the playoffs in 10 years.

Hot damn!

Maybe somebody should be telling that to the locals of Raleigh so they can sell more tickets than some of the teams in the CHL. Just an idea.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You guys? My team has a Stanley Cup banner in the rafters more recently than Toronto as well, and has also gone to a Conference Final more recently despite not making the playoffs in 10 years.
Congratulations!

You've managed to turn a thread about the Coyotes into a thread about the Leafs. Now all of HF's elite will flood into this thread to talk about how Leafs fans turned this into a Leafs thread.

Woo hoo!

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Smiggie Balls

Sep 27, 2017
Am I the only one annoyed at the Coyotees? Every year I am told they will be better and they never are. Meanwhile they really just take from the NHL and do not contribute. If an organzation was that bad in the NFL or NBA they would have been moved years ago.
Poor Shane Doan spent his entire career waiting for next year.

is that you Gary?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Am I the only one annoyed at the Coyotees? Every year I am told they will be better and they never are. Meanwhile they really just take from the NHL and do not contribute. If an organzation was that bad in the NFL or NBA they would have been moved years ago.
Poor Shane Doan spent his entire career waiting for next year.

Doubtful. Lots of people dislike the Coyotes, but them taking from the leagues coffers doesnt really matter to the plebs buying tickets. Ticket prices would still be high without profit sharing. I dont feel bad for successful team owners, they're goddamn billionaires.

Screw Shane doan btw.

Also, why do you think they are a bigger market than Edmonton? Just by population size in the surrounding area? I'm sure the Oilers sell more jerseys... and like you said we sell 100%. There is no guarantee that the margery population size could be utilized if the team started doing well, there is also a logistical issue with their arena.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Congratulations!

You've managed to turn a thread about the Coyotes into a thread about the Leafs. Now all of HF's elite will flood into this thread to talk about how Leafs fans turned this into a Leafs thread.

Woo hoo!

LeafFever brought up the Leafs/oilers on the first two pages. Before this guy even stepped in the thread.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Can we be sure the banner is there if no one has been to the arena to see it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad