OT - NO POLITICS The Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The House is working on an emergency health bill.

The Senate decided to take a 3 day weekend recess.

you simply cant make this shit up.

The senate is arguably the most problematic structural thing in our country right now, I can’t remember how many bills it is just sitting now that the house passed

Crisis’ like this always greatly highlight serious flaws and it might be a good reminder of why it’s important to give a damn when things seem fine, not wait until it hits the fan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The senate is arguably the most problematic structural thing in our country right now, I can’t remember how many bills it is just sitting now that the house passed

Crisis’ like this always greatly highlight serious flaws and it might be a good reminder of why it’s important to give a damn when things seem fine, not wait until it hits the fan

more nauseating than corona itself

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
My daughter was in Chicago a few weekends in Dec, Jan and Feb and got very ill for 3 days. Flulike symptoms, but was tested for flu and did not have it....my son, was sick for two days, not as ill, not as high fever, but slept a lot.... a couple weeks later you start to really hear about covid19....wouldn't be shocked if they had it then,
My hubby and I were sick a couple of weeks ago and had all of the symptoms, too. It took us a bit to recover, and I had just had surgery. I can't say, though, that it is the virus- it's hard to say, with the flus going around. We both had fevers- I think my husband has had one fever in all of the time we've been married.

My daughter down in Virginia wasn't feeling well two weeks ago- she demanded a test for strep and she was coughing and sneezing, but it came back negative. She's a robust lady who doesn't get sick often at all, like her father. Myself, I have had respiratory issues since childhood, so illness isn't unknown to me. She's worried because of all that is going on in Virginia- now they've declared a state of emergency. Scary as she works in the health care profession and works daily with babies and teens.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My daughter was in Chicago a few weekends in Dec, Jan and Feb and got very ill for 3 days. Flulike symptoms, but was tested for flu and did not have it....my son, was sick for two days, not as ill, not as high fever, but slept a lot.... a couple weeks later you start to really hear about covid19....wouldn't be shocked if they had it then,
I felt pretty junky on a Thursday afternoon and when I got home I took a hot shower and just about fell asleep while doing so at like 7pm. I ended up passing out at 8:30 that night. Woke up the next day with a cough and feeling worse. Went to urgent care and got diagnosed with bronchitis. I took a nap and woke up to a fever of 100 so I took my first zpak dose, went back to bed and all hell broke loose with my fever and sinuses.

I had a hard time getting the fever down even with antibiotics. Took 2 days and 800mg Motrin to finally broke it after giving me the chills for a few hours. Ended up with a severe sinus infection on top of the bronchitis and between the zpak, prednisone and augmentin, I was on antibiotics and steroids for 15 days.

My fever spiked to 102 and as someone who runs at 97.7 I thought I was dying.

I wouldn’t be shocked if I had this thing.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not trying to make any political statement, but it sure seems like the response from people towards the government is pure confirmation bias. If people already liked the powers that be, they're more likely to claim that they're doing a bang-up job and going to save lives and the economy. If people are predisposed to like the opposition, then they're likely to claim that they're slow to act and putting lives in danger or whatever. It's like there's no objectivity anymore.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
more nauseating than corona itself

Senate is bad They are all bad, they house was trying to stack the bill at one point with a bunch of completely unrelated items as well trying to seize on the opportunity to push agenda items, rather than just focusing on the task at hand.

But this needs to get done, a lot of small businesses are going to be completely destroyed by this. Sure Disney may lose billions on the parks closing, but that is an absorbable loss. Many of the small businesses that have to shut down for a month or more are not going to return on the other side

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
A little disturbing to say the least.

The Extraordinary Decisions Facing Italian Doctors

There are now simply too many patients for each one of them to receive adequate care.

The principle they settle upon is utilitarian. “Informed by the principle of maximizing benefits for the largest number,” they suggest that “the allocation criteria need to guarantee that those patients with the highest chance of therapeutic success will retain access to intensive care.”

The authors, who are medical doctors, then deduce a set of concrete recommendations for how to manage these impossible choices, including this: “It may become necessary to establish an age limit for access to intensive care.”
Those who are too old to have a high likelihood of recovery, or who have too low a number of “life-years” left even if they should survive, will be left to die. This sounds cruel, but the alternative, the document argues, is no better. “In case of a total saturation of resources, maintaining the criterion of ‘first come, first served’ would amount to a decision to exclude late-arriving patients from access to intensive care.”

But if Italy is in an impossible position, the obligation facing the United States is very clear: To arrest the crisis before the impossible becomes necessary.
This means that our political leaders, the heads of business and private associations, and every one of us need to work together to accomplish two things: Radically expand the capacity of the country’s intensive-care units. And start engaging in extreme forms of social distancing.
Cancel everything. Now.

The Extraordinary Decisions Facing Italian Doctors

Reactions: Blowfish

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’

Experts weigh in on whether you should cancel your dates, dinner parties, and gym sessions.

SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE?

Cannuscio: I would say try to shop at times when there are very few other shoppers there. That [could mean] going first thing in the morning when the store opens, or late at night. I think many people will rely on delivery, and that’s just the nature of our lives right now. For delivery workers, I would say, leave the food on the doorstep and ring the bell, rather than interacting face-to-face with the person who’s ordered the food.

SHOULD I TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION?

Cannuscio: First of all, people who have the opportunity or the option of working at home should absolutely use that option right now. For people who have essential functions and have to be at work, if they have any flexibility in their schedules they should try to ride at non-peak hours. On subways or buses, people should try to stand as far away from other people as possible. I think it’s important for planners to think about, for example, putting more buses on the most heavily traveled routes, to maybe thin out the crowds on those buses. In cities where it’s possible to walk, that would be a better option.

The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I felt pretty junky on a Thursday afternoon and when I got home I took a hot shower and just about fell asleep while doing so at like 7pm. I ended up passing out at 8:30 that night. Woke up the next day with a cough and feeling worse. Went to urgent care and got diagnosed with bronchitis. I took a nap and woke up to a fever of 100 so I took my first zpak dose, went back to bed and all hell broke loose with my fever and sinuses.

I had a hard time getting the fever down even with antibiotics. Took 2 days and 800mg Motrin to finally broke it after giving me the chills for a few hours. Ended up with a severe sinus infection on top of the bronchitis and between the zpak, prednisone and augmentin, I was on antibiotics and steroids for 15 days.

My fever spiked to 102 and as someone who runs at 97.7 I thought I was dying.

I wouldn’t be shocked if I had this thing.
i never get a fever and had one of 100 on super bowl week. i dont think it was in the country though then. either way the symptoms tom hanks said they had were mine to a t. thats why i thought mine might have been carona.
also thst dry cough and sore throat started 2 dsys after fever chills and aches went away.

i should also add i probably hadnt had a fever in 20 years or so. but i also have never gotten a flu shot.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Singapore Was Ready for Covid-19—Other Countries, Take Note

After SARS and H1N1, Singapore built a robust system for tracking and containing epidemics. South Korea, Taiwan, and others did too—here's what they learned.

When Covid-19 came around, Singapore was, it seems, ready. Along with Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea, Singapore instituted strict travel controls and protocols for identifying sick individuals—to get them help as well as to find the people they’d been in contact with. The Singaporean government posted detailed accounting for how many people had been tested for the virus, and the locations and natures of those people’s social contacts. All these governments instituted strict social distancing measures, like canceling events, closing schools, and telling people to stay home. As a result (at least in part), all have lower numbers of infected people and lower fatalities than China or Italy, proportionately. They “flattened the curve,” as public health experts now say—lowering a probable spike of infections, perhaps pushing that surge of seriously ill people further out in time so that health care systems don’t get overburdened.

The lessons these countries learned could be instructive for places further out on the timeline—like the United States or most of Europe, which still lags a couple of weeks behind the virus’ spread through Italy, where there have been hundreds of deaths and the hospital system is so slammed with seriously ill people that it’s beginning to institute triage measures. These places offer models for what to do next, laying out best practices for how to respond to the pandemic with fewer deaths, to get a case fatality rate closer to South Korea’s apparent 0.8 instead of Italy’s 6.6.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

After SARS and H1N1, Singapore built a robust system for tracking and containing epidemics. South Korea, Taiwan, and others did too—here's what they learned.

When Covid-19 came around, Singapore was, it seems, ready. Along with Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea, Singapore instituted strict travel controls and protocols for identifying sick individuals—to get them help as well as to find the people they’d been in contact with. The Singaporean government posted detailed accounting for how many people had been tested for the virus, and the locations and natures of those people’s social contacts. All these governments instituted strict social distancing measures, like canceling events, closing schools, and telling people to stay home. As a result (at least in part), all have lower numbers of infected people and lower fatalities than China or Italy, proportionately. They “flattened the curve,” as public health experts now say—lowering a probable spike of infections, perhaps pushing that surge of seriously ill people further out in time so that health care systems don’t get overburdened.

The lessons these countries learned could be instructive for places further out on the timeline—like the United States or most of Europe, which still lags a couple of weeks behind the virus’ spread through Italy, where there have been hundreds of deaths and the hospital system is so slammed with seriously ill people that it’s beginning to institute triage measures. These places offer models for what to do next, laying out best practices for how to respond to the pandemic with fewer deaths, to get a case fatality rate closer to South Korea’s apparent 0.8 instead of Italy’s 6.6.

Singapore is notoriously repressive about public order and arrest people for littering. Of course they're well prepared to contain contagion.

It's the age old question, how much of your freedom are you willing to surrender for security?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’m cool w arresting ppl for littering at this point

Do they still do canings? Maybe that
2973241588_822895bb87_z.jpg

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
damn straight.
This will pass at a cost. A cost of human life.
I can only hope that future administrations and elected reps learn from this and future generations demand it of them.

Also:
‘This virus is everywhere.’ Experts deride Europe travel ban as useless - The Boston Globe
The emergency room Doctor that sits right behind us told me (the last game...of the season :() that many folks were calling the hospital saying they heard from our leader that there were plenty of tests...and they were perfect. He said many wanted to be tested and the hospital was flooded with calls. He was annoyed because of the misinformation.

Hopefully somewhere they are making test kits.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Severe shortage of tests blunts coronavirus response, Boston doctors say - The Boston Globe

My sister couldnt get tested at Lahey clinic. They kept her in ICU 4 days until fever broke.
It has now turned into bronchitis.
For a cancer patient its very dicey.

But at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Monique Aurora Tello described in a Facebook post Wednesday seeing eight people with probable coronavirus, some of whom had recently been on buses and planes — and being unable to test some of the suspected cases.
“Testing pending for some but the State wouldn’t let us test them all,” Aurora Tello wrote. “Not enough tests!!”
In an interview, Aurora Tello declined to provide a specific number of the people that could not be tested because of the directive from the state Department of Public Health, which she said was performing as well as it could under the circumstances. But Aurora Tello described severe limits on testing that have prevented medical officials containing the virus.
I hope your sister beats the bronchitis soon. Sending healing thoughts to her and hugs to your family.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reactions: Alicat

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I have been pissed of for 3 years and this just adds to it.

What is wrong with those people ???? They are just bad humans

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree...The ban is too late as are the test kits. I can't even put into words how pissed off I am....

the ban did come late but needs to stay enforced IMO. I'm following other countries strategies who had a strict travel ban early on and it's been effective. I don't think Montreal has a ban right now and If I'm an employee at the airport no way am I coming to work. Folks getting off planes from infected areas traveling into the city could just infect more

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I have been pissed of for 3 years and this just adds to it.

What is wrong with those people ???? They are just bad humans

My gf works in a domestic violence agency, and one of the things you learn/is taught to you are signs of abuse and tactics of abuse. She always says that when she watches many of these people speak and how they go about things, they demonstrate signs of being abusers

There is money and there is time to invest in PEOPLE. But time is running out

Attachments

• 3D3B9C2D-F54F-45C4-A1F7-BE55C9A8EBFA.png
    3D3B9C2D-F54F-45C4-A1F7-BE55C9A8EBFA.png
    953.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden