OT - NO POLITICS The Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Know this isn’t supposed to be a political thread but the political landscape and leadership has shown no reason to hope that any flattening of the curve is within their capability.

It can be done and I wouldnt be surprised if eventually forced to do so.
Set up field hospitals at military bases and floating hospitals utilizing the nazy.

but how late will be too late? What death rate needs to be the trigger?

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Dude, you guys rock solid. I look at Germany's numbers and you guys are mind boggling. Very impressive.

2,745 cases total and a total of 6 deaths.
Yesterday it was less than 2000 cases and 3 deaths. Those number are rock solid. Other countries should follow what you guys are doing.

That might be a problem since we're not doing anything special that I'm awate of, life goes on as if nothing's happening really. Sure everybody has stockpiled antiseptics and is washing hands excessively, us included, night clubs and bars are relatively empty and corona is the topic of the day at the watercooler but other than that same shit different day really.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
From the NYtimes.

2. Emergency rooms across the country are preparing for a crush of cases, but with limited capacity and supplies, administrators fear they will not be ready. Above, screening tents at the University of Utah hospital in Salt Lake City.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Staffing shortages could hinder care if doctors and nurses become infected. There may not be enough ventilators or bed space for an influx of seriously ill patients.

In less than three weeks, the virus has overloaded hospitals in much of Italy despite the country’s well-regarded health care system. It may be a glimpse of what other countries could face if they cannot slow the contagion

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 10 percent and the S&P 500 was down about 9.5 percent at closing — the worst drop for both since the 1987 “Black Monday” stock market crash. The Federal Reserve, which said it would offer at least $1.5 trillion in short-term loans to banks, was also forced to inject cash when it saw “highly unusual disruptions in Treasury financing markets.”
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That might be a problem since we're not doing anything special that I'm awate of, life goes on as if nothing's happening really. Sure everybody has stockpiled antiseptics and is washing hands excessively, us included, night clubs and bars are relatively empty and corona is the topic of the day at the watercooler but other than that same shit different day really.
I meant your leaders. I was reading an article today about how organized and upfront they were about the whole situation.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Interesting.... So this tells me that there's not a need for mass pants-pissing. You can just do the thing you should be doing (washing hands, sanitizing, etc) and it seems to work.

Reactions: CrazyMonkey1208

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I meant your leaders. I was reading an article today about how organized and upfront they were about the whole situation.

yeah I figured but IMO you're giving them more credit than they deserve, at this point it's our health care system working (which is far from perfect, a friends' GF had to wait 2 hours in the rain to get tested and she's probably positive), which the current leaders have nothing to do with. Our political leaders are pretty upfront, sure, because leading scientists have been publishing numbers and opinions based on facts for a while now forcing our polticians to be honest, we trust scientists more than politicians usually.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
yeah I figured but IMO you're giving them more credit than they deserve, at this point it's our health care system working (which is far from perfect, a friends' GF had to wait 2 hours in the rain to get tested and she's probably positive), which the current leaders have nothing to do with. Our political leaders are pretty upfront, sure, because leading scientists have been publishing numbers and opinions based on facts for a while now forcing our polticians to be honest, we trust scientists more than politicians usually.

the fact that a test kit was available puts you miles ahead of the US

oh, and believing in science is a plus too.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
But your leader is a scientist.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Interesting.... So this tells me that there's not a need for mass pants-pissing. You can just do the thing you should be doing (washing hands, sanitizing, etc) and it seems to work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely supportive of all major leagues worldwide cancelling their games. This is serious shit, I can't reiterate that enough. Better safe than sorry. The last time our major soccer leagues mass cancelled games was during WW2.
Just saying that I'm not seeing any panic in my town (around 100k) as of now with a few cases confirmed. Personally I'm not changing much in my life either, but we're certainly not going out for lunch or dancing anytime soon.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely supportive of all major leagues worldwide cancelling their games. This is serious shit, I can't reiterate that enough. Better safe than sorry. The last time our major soccer leagues mass cancelled games was during WW2.
Just saying that I'm not seeing any panic in my town (around 100k) as of now with a few cases confirmed. Personally I'm not changing much in my life either, but we're certainly not going out for lunch or dancing anytime soon.
This is one of the biggest problem here. We have quite a few that don't take it seriously. It's just another flu king of crowd.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It can be done and I wouldnt be surprised if eventually forced to do so.
Set up field hospitals at military bases and floating hospitals utilizing the nazy.

but how late will be too late? What death rate needs to be the trigger?
It can be done - but this crew (who fired the CDC pandemic response team two years ago and never replaced them) sure as shit doesnt inspire confidence.

Our family is assuming that we will all get it and are just looking to insulate our parents who are over 70

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
This is one of the biggest problem here. We have quite a few that don't take it seriously. It's just another flu king of crowd.

yeah you're bascically like 7-10 days behind us. 2 weeks ago I was being a smartass too. Not saying you're being one but you catch the drift,

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The US will easily have over 10k cases by Monday and wouldn’t shock me of it was 50k by next weekend. Now, not sure if there are even that many tests avail

Severe shortage of tests blunts coronavirus response, Boston doctors say - The Boston Globe

My sister couldnt get tested at Lahey clinic. They kept her in ICU 4 days until fever broke.
It has now turned into bronchitis.
For a cancer patient its very dicey.

But at Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Monique Aurora Tello described in a Facebook post Wednesday seeing eight people with probable coronavirus, some of whom had recently been on buses and planes — and being unable to test some of the suspected cases.
“Testing pending for some but the State wouldn’t let us test them all,” Aurora Tello wrote. “Not enough tests!!”
In an interview, Aurora Tello declined to provide a specific number of the people that could not be tested because of the directive from the state Department of Public Health, which she said was performing as well as it could under the circumstances. But Aurora Tello described severe limits on testing that have prevented medical officials containing the virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
yeah you're bascically like 7-10 days behind us. 2 weeks ago I was being a smartass too. Not saying you're being one but you catch the drift,
Last week my first post on this was saying we need to take this shit seriously. I've been following it since day one. I already saw this movie... not this bad but still.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
My daughter was in Chicago a few weekends in Dec, Jan and Feb and got very ill for 3 days. Flulike symptoms, but was tested for flu and did not have it....my son, was sick for two days, not as ill, not as high fever, but slept a lot.... a couple weeks later you start to really hear about covid19....wouldn't be shocked if they had it then,

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad