OT - NO POLITICS The Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Aside from all this being untrue, you keep focusing on the death rate. The major concern at this point is that without taking these precautions there is a serious risk of overwhelming the healthcare system when too many people are dealing with this at the same time. If the hospitals are full, that’s going to cause issues for the people who get this disease as well as the people who need treatment for other diseases
While I agree with you that the precautions are necessary, what about what he said is untrue? His numbers are actually quite understated: FastStats.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I imagine it has been written here, but the virus can survive a lot longer than the normal flu virus. On copper it can last hours, plastic and paper days. Even air borne it lives a lot longer than the normal
flu virus. Thus easier to spread.
We need to stop comparing this to the flu virus, and start comparing it to a cold, at least with regard to contagiousness. Most colds are caused by either a rhinovirus or a coronavirus. I haven't been able to find a comparison on typical cold virus survival times though.

5Jack0

Mar 6, 2012
Somewhere out there
Knowing that the temperature doesn't PREVENT transmission is a very different thing from being able to say it does not SLOW transmission, which is i think what he meant.
It spreads like the flu which slows considerably when it warms up, it’s an assumption that the same will happen with Corona but also an assumption that it will stay the same and get worse. The surviving for 9 days is patently false. Those tests were run on adifferent strain and in ideal transmission conditions.
Coronavirus can live in air for 3 hours, on surfaces for 2-3 days

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Sorry, I was referring to the idea that there's never any concern over those things rather than the numbers being untrue
Gotcha. He does sort of have a point though. Several thousand people die in accidents every single day, and it seems that we do just sort of accept it. But without intervention, this virus could make those accident numbers really pale in comparison. These are unprecedented actions, but maybe that means we have learned from historical pandemics.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Watched that whole episode last night - I rarely watch beyond the monologue, but the monologue was so eerie that I figured I'd stay up to watch the Gupta interview. Solid - not hysteria, not callous indifference.

The strangest thing? Right at one of the commercial breaks, I hear a "Waaaaaa, Waaaaa Waaaaachusett!" ad with their recent update as to the condition of the slopes. Are people really wanting to ski now?

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It spreads like the flu which slows considerably when it warms up, it’s an assumption that the same will happen with Corona but also an assumption that it will stay the same and get worse. The surviving for 9 days is patently false. Those tests were run on adifferent strain and in ideal transmission conditions.
Coronavirus can live in air for 3 hours, on surfaces for 2-3 days

My thoughts on the lives in the air for 3 hours,,and surfaces 2-3days That may be true obviously, but how contagious is it if there are 154 cases in NYC were there are over 1.6 million people living, that cram into buses, subways, Penn Station, 3 weeks of Rangers and Knicks games..... I mean I think it's great that it's low (will get bigger of course) but shouldn't it have spiraled out of control?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I wouldn't let this guy check my temperature. Anyone pimping the virus on a late night comedy show has zero credibility.Some of the same doctors that help write the laws on what can and can't be done OUTSIDE of a hospital or clinic setting are now asking why cant we run test in a walmart parking lot.

Start setting up tent hospitals in every city and town, get off television and put your fing lab coat on and get to work Sanjay Gupta

Last edited:

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad