The Claude Julien Thread - The “Tabarnacle” edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He was on the PP at the opening game, when armia, suzuki and gallagher were playing, and he never left that PP

Claude Julien is filling Weal's Rêve d'enfant right now, no other explanations possible
Well it was somewhat understandable given how he performed on the PP late last year...

I'm not saying it's warranted, but this team lacks right handed shots.

It's really the only reason he's still there...once again, when Armia and Gallagher return + Suzuki and Kovalchuk.

Don't expect to continue to see him there.

Though I suppose with CJ...anything is possible.

Xaydhon1

Oct 5, 2019
Well it was somewhat understandable given how he performed on the PP late last year...

I'm not saying it's warranted, but this team lacks right handed shots.

It's really the only reason he's still there...once again, when Armia and Gallagher return + Suzuki and Kovalchuk.

Don't expect to continue to see him there.

Though I suppose with CJ...anything is possible.

Wanna bet?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I couldn't believe he was on the first wave with Kotka, Domi Kovalchuk, and Weber. I know we have injuries but that was just sick. I was pretty ticked off when it happened.

Bergevin needs to just trade him to take away CJ's toy. That would probably spark a crazy feud between those two.

Can Laviolette speak French?
"montreal Atypical"

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I remember Bruins' fans being pretty frustrated when he was there for the same reasons. Playing those third/fourth line grinders over and over and putting them on the PP.
I think back then it was Gregory Campbell and Daniel Paille... They were the Weal and Cousins of the time

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would argue that Weal is not an NHL player

6.5 million in cap space - plus it was clear Byron should have been moved this summer because we have too many small forwards ahead of him (Gallagher, Tatar, Suzuki, Domi, Caufield). So 10 million in cap space and MB uses it to fill the top 12 with Cousins and Weal, in a summer when there were a ton of good, mid level wingers on the market.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
but the PP is 11th in the league, there is way more problems in this team then Weal on the PP
True, but CJ seems to have let the game pass him by. Look at how the Bruins excelled without CJ. The older coaches all seem to have caught some sort of Babcock-itis, where they double down on what they think will work, and it never does. And for soem reason they think doing the same thing over and over, expecting changes? Different results? lol
Dom Ducherme would probably do a better job than CJ.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
True, but CJ seems to have let the game pass him by. Look at how the Bruins excelled without CJ. The older coaches all seem to have caught some sort of Babcock-itis, where they double down on what they think will work, and it never does. And for soem reason they think doing the same thing over and over, expecting changes?
Dom Ducherme would probably do a better job than CJ.
Pasternak, McAvoy and Debrusk probably help Boston to excelled to

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Julien got the grindermania on him. He's the grindermaniac by excellence. So that's just my assumption by the way...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Pasternak, McAvoy and Debrusk probably help Boston to excelled to
True, but the core is the same..........the Bruins were really struggling with CJ. They have played great under Cassidy. It kinda mirrors the Leafs, awful under Lebabs and great under the new younger coach.
CJ's expiration date is really close.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
but the PP is 11th in the league, there is way more problems in this team then Weal on the PP

I would say they are doing well on the PP in spite of Weals and Cousins being on it.

These grinder take valuable minutes away from the Habs younger players. Kotkaniemi shouldn’t have periods like last night where he only gets only two minutes.

And I do agree with you that Weal on the PP is definitely not the Habs biggest problem (and far from it).

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It really is strange.

I hate the overuse of Weal but Julien isn't close to getting fired. His roster is the problem.

The roster has flaws, but the two are not mutually exclusive. You can always manage what you have better. Weal has been on the powerplay from day 1 and has a couple points max. His top usage is irrational at this point.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto

Julien's logic summed up...prime powerplay minutes for half the season, then, suddenly, scratched!

Maybe play him on the fourth line where he belongs and you wouldn't have to scratch him.

Anyway...fire Julien, and MB

Reactions: 26Mats

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
It really is strange.

I hate the overuse of Weal but Julien isn't close to getting fired. His roster is the problem.

Roster has flaws but you can always find options to maximize what you have at hand. Weal has been on the PP from day one and produced 3 points to date. Tell me you're not contrarian enough to advance that these numbers are somewhat deserving of a further look by the coaching staff, while we have talented young recruits in KK, Fleury, Poehling. Even Mete could be tried imo. What do we have to lose exactly? Arent 6 straight losses enough to try something else? And I said young players, but even Thompson or Lehkonen would be better in that role. Weal is a total non-factor.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The roster has flaws, but the two are not mutually exclusive. You can always manage what you have better. Weal has been on the powerplay from day 1 and has a couple points max. His top usage is irrational at this point.

I agree, but Bergevin is not Julien and a discussion related to one shouldn’t be about the other. The reality is with a healthy roster the team is better than what is getting fielded right now and in my opinion Julien would have moved on from weal more quickly.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
6.5 million in cap space - plus it was clear Byron should have been moved this summer because we have too many small forwards ahead of him (Gallagher, Tatar, Suzuki, Domi, Caufield). So 10 million in cap space and MB uses it to fill the top 12 with Cousins and Weal, in a summer when there were a ton of good, mid level wingers on the market.

Nyquist is second in points in Columbus with 31 and has done really well there. I just noticed they have 5 Swedish forwards!

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad