The Claude Julien Thread - The “Tabarnacle” edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
So it’s been about an entire year since Claude Julien was hired and so I think it’s a fair time to properly evaluate him.

I want to keep this fairly short and to the point. I am more than aware that our team is horrible, and near the bottom of the standings, but I think Claude has actually done a pretty good job as far as player development.

I want to focus on Galchenyuk because it seems like Therrien never was able to get the best out of him and he’s only the second coach to ever get his hands on Chucky. This year we’ve seen a more motivated and defensively responsible chuck. He’s improving leaps and bounds every month.

But it’s not just him, Gallagher has also found a new gear to his game. Hudon, while a very good player is finally coming into his own.

Julien is giving our rookies the most amount of opportunity to our young guys that I’ve ever seen in a long time. He uses his players to their strengths and doesn’t shy away from using his young talent if the situation is needed.
He’s handled the media very well in such a bad season and has never talked bad about a particular player. I think the young guys respect him a lot.

I’m excited to see how he can mold our future talent into excellent two way players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Overall great job.

But how the heck did it take him so long to put Kotkaniemi on the right halfwall this year (and Galchenyuk there last year.)

And how much longer until he finally puts Drouin and Gallagher with KK??? It just takes him too long sometimes.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Plus he makes great gifs!

Don't know what you are talking about...

hockeyface.gif

tumblr_mtsih4XsRB1qej59ko1_250.gif

HYtgg2y.gif

julien2-anim.gif

365.gif

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Heard them say on the boradcast Habs were one of the top teams in hits ???

A little bit of that CJ big bad Bruins rubbing off on the habs? Sure its not like the old days but the habs low key lay the body.

Reactions: Acadien86

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Great coach
The biggest issue there was with Julien is that his system was too defensive, but he did a completely 180 this year which is not easy to do for a coach who won a cup and had a lot of success playing that defensive system.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Midseason awards I'd say he'd be top 3 for Jack Adams. Him, Trotz and Peters.

The team has definitely bought into his system and plays hard pretty much every night.

Reactions: Acadien86

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Great coach
The biggest issue there was with Julien is that his system was too defensive, but he did a completely 180 this year which is not easy to do for a coach who won a cup and had a lot of success playing that defensive system.
He does also have some new fresh voices behind that bench with him and that certainly must help, Ducharme and Richardson are both very respected hockey minds.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He does also have some new fresh voices behind that bench with him and that certainly must help, Ducharme and Richardson are both very respected hockey minds.

Absolutely. I think a lot of credit for the new approach needs to go to those guys. Pretty sure Bergevin explained to Julien that things needed to change and the writing was on the wall that Bergevin would make another coaching change in an attempt to save his hide before he was shown the door if things didn't change.

Where Julien deserves credit is in getting on board with this and, especially, not reverting to a default anti-hockey game plan in the face of adversity.

However, MON hasn't gone on a 10-game losing streak to really test this.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Julien has our band of misfits playing like a team. Yeah, they don't knock your socks off talent wise but they compete hard mostly every game and seem to actually enjoy each other's company.

I'm not a huge fan of us always hiring retreads, but Claude's been good. Can't really fault him for last year too much, and kudos to him for changing his philosophy on some things.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I was hard on Julien last year, but aside from his love of players like Agostino/Chaput he's done a fantastic job this year. He's done a great job of surrounding himself with quality assistants which has been a huge help.

Reactions: Vachon23

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I was hard on Julien last year, but aside from his love of players like Agostino/Chaput he's done a fantastic job this year. He's done a great job of surrounding himself with quality assistants which has been a huge help.

Agostino has earned his love, great 4th liner. And Chaput is meh but is a decent 4th liner. Its not like there is really that much better out there.

The only thing I will say is Agostino is not a PP player. Don't know if thats him or Kirk and I get the roster doesn't give many options but ya not a guy you should have on your PP.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is huge........he inherited the group that were assembled by MT and as we know, that was not a pretty crew.

CJ in my mind, still does some mind boggling stuff...when we win everyone is fist bumping, but when we lose, it seems Clod is gonna Clod.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad