The Claude Julien Thread - The “Tabarnacle” edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why Claude needed to throw KK under the bus like that is beyond me......for me personally, the after game press conference was absolute trash, no need to ridicule your 19yr old star in the making that way.

that was a Barry Melrose type move and totally uncalled for

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What I don't get is why this pansy soft media doesn't have the guts to ask a straight forward question to make Clod justify his icetime ?
He gets #3 center minutes on even strength, because he's our third best center at this point of his career. As to the powerplay, there were some articles during the preseason that described in much detail what the Habs are trying to accomplish on 5-on-4 and why are they using Weal and Danault out there. It's not really much of a mistery once you let go of the "evil Claude" narrative.
Now, the 1st powerplay unit is clearly not working, so if Kotkaniemi plays well, he will find himself on that unit sooner rather than later.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
He gets #3 center minutes on even strength, because he's our third best center at this point of his career. As to the powerplay, there were some articles during the preseason that described in much detail what the Habs are trying to accomplish on 5-on-4 and why are they using Weal and Danault out there. It's not really much of a mistery once you let go of the "evil Claude" narrative.
Now, the 1st powerplay unit is clearly not working, so if Kotkaniemi plays well, he will find himself on that unit sooner rather than later.
Might want to try rewatching the games. Then reevaluate the coach's decisions. Need I remind you how he sent Seguin packing. Another retread coach we should NOT have hired. Been saying it for a couple years now. Better than Therrien, of course but my 7 year old grandson could coach better than MT. Matchbox high bars aren't too difficult to transverse.

Danault is now a top centre. I have seen it all. With his new PP time I am sure he could crack 50 points! We finally have that star player we have been begging for.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here's the problem when you keep people around for another year when you've already contemplated firing them.

The pressure is to do anything to win so you compromise the long term vision and health of the team for short term gain

Only Julien and Bergevin are incompetent so they don't even render short term gain.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Here's the problem when you keep people around for another year when you've already contemplated firing them.

The pressure is to do anything to win so you compromise the long term vision and health of the team for short term gain

Only Julien and Bergevin are incompetent so they don't even render short term gain.

Yep. Here goes the plan. Let's build with draft picks. Let's trade vets to play our youngsters. Our team should be ready to compete in 3 to 8 years.....PUT LET'S PLAY FOLIN INSTEAD OF FLEURY AND LET'S PLAY WEAL INSTEAD OF KOTKANIEMI.

They have no plan. Can't believe some people fell for that.

Totally insane plan as an organization. They draft a kid that wasn't seen as a BPA at No3. We drafted him for needs. Then, they play him IMMEDIATELY in his first year as the need they...needed. And on the 2nd season, that NEED goes from being used at his position, to benched, or on the wings, and criticized by his coach publicly.

f*** off Julien and Bergevin you pieces of f***ing crap.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Did not watch this one but did CJ really throw JK under the bus. Man this is so AG 2.0. If there's one player who deserves to be thrown under the bus right now it's Byron. He's on the first year of his first lucrative contract and right now he's not delivering.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Win as many points in the standings until we're clearly out of the playoff picture...

Clearly out as mathematically out or a realistically out? Cause mathematically out it wont happen before the last 2 weeks of the season. At this point it will be too late to do anything. Realistically out it could happen Sunday morning. If we lose the next 2 games at this point it wont be realistic to expect a playoffs participation. The odds will be extremely against us. Next 2 games will be very telling of what this team is capable of.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Once you have started thinking about firing someone, it is time.

Every time I have had to pull the trigger it has been obvious it should have been done long ago.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I guess it is pretty clear now what the problem is. The 19 year old and the 20 year old. Two young bucks that are dragging the entire team down. Once Habs get rid off them for good the team will truly take off on the wings of Weal and Cousins.

WHY does this org continue to hire absolute morons like that? Is there something in the water in Mtl?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I guess it is pretty clear now what the problem is. The 19 year old and the 20 year old. Two young bucks that are dragging the entire team down. Once Habs get rid off them for good the team will truly take off on the wings of Weal and Cousins.

WHY does this org continue to hire absolute morons like that? Is there something in the water in Mtl?

Let me caveat this by saying this isn't a language thing. Its a hockey Quebec thing.

Montreal will only hire bilingual coaches. That's fine if the pipeline is good. But the pipeline is coming solely from Hockey Quebec which is an antiquated body that preaches old ideals and development. It's the same for players and coaches which is why Quebec isn't developing players at the rate it used to.

This is true with Hockey Canada as well, as they are involved with Hockey Quebec. The thing is, that with a larger pool of Hockey Canada coaching candidates.. there's bound to be more anomalies.

It's partly why we've rehired the same coach twice. The pool is small. The experienced pool is smaller. But they're all coming from the same origins.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Let me caveat this by saying this isn't a language thing. Its a hockey Quebec thing.

Montreal will only hire bilingual coaches. That's fine if the pipeline is good. But the pipeline is coming solely from Hockey Quebec which is an antiquated body that preaches old ideals and development. It's the same for players and coaches which is why Quebec isn't developing players at the rate it used to.

This is true with Hockey Canada as well, as they are involved with Hockey Quebec. The thing is, that with a larger pool of Hockey Canada coaching candidates.. there's bound to be more anomalies.

It's partly why we've rehired the same coach twice. The pool is small. The experienced pool is smaller. But they're all coming from the same origins.

Great explanation ......would Bouchard be the exception or are we looking at same shit different pile??

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
CJ has one more year right? Let him walk and bring in Tourigny next year. Ducharme HC with Richardson, Muller and Tourigny. Looks pretty good to me.

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
I like Weal but we are playing him over KK for what "might" be a marginal gain short term on a team set to be good in 3 years by our owner... It doesnt make any sense.

durojean

May 29, 2007
I feel like Bergevin and Julien are not on the same page and I hope change in the coaching department will come soon enough or at least a big meeting where Bergevin puts the emphasis on developping the young players.

I've been pretty harsh against Bergevin 2 or 3 years ago, but I do see some kind of plan from his part after that ridicoulisly bad season.

I feel like Bergevin wants to lose this year and maybe next year to have a team that will be a winner in 3 years. I feel like he wants to develop the kids like Poehling / Suzuki / KK / Fleury / Brook / Caufield Romanov so that they are our core in 3 to 4 years. I feel he wants to add 1 or 2 blueship prospect.

Let's face it, our core is still really young and that is when Gallagher will be 30 that Bergevin wants his team to peak.
He put a great developing team in Laval and some really good assistant coaches to work well with the kids ( Ducharme / Muller )

That kind of plan, I can buy and I think it could work...
Still not so sure about Bergy, but it could work.

-------------------------

That being said, If your direction is that plan, You can't have your coach coaching like he does.
His approach this year is detrimental to our youngster. The position changing, the lack of confidence in them, the benching. (You should never keep a kid like Fleury 2 weeks in the stands, he should be in Laval playing if your not going to use him) If he does not trust the kids now, he will never trust them because he'll notice only their mistakes from now on. He's already on KK's case.

I feel that this year or the next, you have 2 choices. You either let the kids play in laval and have a line up of vet in the nhl that will suit Julien's style better.

or

You fire him. Keep the kids like management does right now. But manage them with your endgame in mind. You let them make mistakes. you give them icetime and you keep them in the their proper position (and where you want to put them in 3 to 4 years)

If a young player gets abused with the more icetime and he is really not ready for the role, it will be really easy to see for them and give them a wake up call. Only then, you can demote them. And your not demoting them after 2 games, you do that after 10 to 20 bad games in a row, So that it is clear to everybody's eyes that he does not belong right now and that he learns from the experience without being scared of making mistakes.

Right now, Julien will want to protect his kids too much and in every game he sees where the kid might have difficulties, he preemptively remove them from gaining any experience because he's afraid it will hurt the team and the kid too much. While doing that, kid never progress because they don't learn and they change the way they play because they become scared to be demoted. I feel like Julien's got good intentions but he is coaching the kids really badly right now.

--------

Our end game right now should be

develop KK to become a #1 center. He should be playing with Tatar and Gallagher this year just to learn. ( he is in his 2nd year)
Drouin Domi Armia could be our second and best offensive line and it's ok.
Lekhonen Danault Byron could be our trustable line for the defensive match ups.
Cousins Suzuki Weal // You want Suzuki to be a center in the futur. Ease him into the LNH, give him the good match ups to start the year and see how he progress. Let him play and adapt. We should not put pressure on him to produce.

Power Play
Unit 1 // (plays 90 seconds)
Drouin Domi Gallagher
Weber Petry

stop the insanity of trying to make everyone happy (an other problem in Julien's coaching right now) Put your best offensive players on unit 1. They are the ones that gives us the better chances to score and they are the logical ones that we never tried.

Unit 2 // (plays aroung 30 seconds)
Tatar KK Suzuki
Mete Kulak

formation and confidence time for our kids. (plus they are our best offensive options available right now) Show's our lack of depth. In the last moments of the games or when we need a goad I'd keep pp1 for the whole 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad