Sportsnet: The Circus Continues in Ottawa - Hockey Central @ Noon

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Agree with your post, but there were reports the NHL was propping them up payroll wise last season I think? So that may not be entirely true.

I think we just have to hope Gary or the BoG is pissed off enough at the whole situation to really put a fire under him.

He may have an arena, but Gary has also said on record that he thinks Ottawa needs a new one (centrally located) to be viable long term. So wtf does that mean?

If the Sens had problems meeting payroll, that is almost certainly something that would have gone actually public by now, and would actually allow the league to step in.

Since neither of those things have happened, I tend to believe that the league helping them meet payroll last year isn't exactly how it went down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the Sens had problems meeting payroll, that is almost certainly something that would have gone actually public by now, and would actually allow the league to step in.

Since neither of those things have happened, I tend to believe that the league helping them meet payroll last year isn't exactly how it went down.

Wouldn't the league step in to avoid having it go public? Seems like a situation where the NHL would greatly benefit from being proactive. I'm not saying it for sure happened, just that the logic that had it happened we'd have heard about it doesn't carry much weight imo. lots of stuff happens behind the scenes that doesn't end up being made public in any official manner, and if you're satisfied with unofficial channels, wouldn't the very rumour you're dismissing qualify?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If you guys think the league will step in for not meeting payroll, then you also might not know that the league has funds to lend owner's money for pay roll.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't even think Gary would have to force anything. If Eugene doesn't have the cash to facilitate a new arena deal, then what the heck is he doing here? If Gary has groups in Ottawa waiting very patiently, and knows they have the wherewithal to do the arena deal, is he supposed to just ignore that?

No one would be trying to force Eugene out, but if Eugene is not meeting the standards set out by the NHL with regards to being an NHL owner, then I'm sure that's a chat he and Gary are going to have.

It's not he's under fire for no reason. He's quite literally standing in the way of a new arena deal, which the league would stand to benefit from greatly. Financially, and PR wise.

I'm not saying forcing him out will/should happen, but I'm just not willing to speculate too heavily how the NHL and BoG will respond to this, because it feels sort of like uncharted territory. I mean, if you need a new arena, and you can't make it happen, but another local group can, isn't it time to **** or get off the pot?

It's the NHL when they say they 'need' a new arena that means the city needs to build a new arena soon please and thank you
No matter how they feel personly about EM a vote would never pass to take a team from another owner because someone is talking new arena.
Most these guys can't afford nor do they want to build their own and no way do they open the door that allows their team to be snatched later when someone else shows up saying new arena

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If you guys think the league will step in for not meeting payroll, then you also might not know that the league has funds to lend owner's money for pay roll.
No I could see them stepping in to end this circus that makes the league look like a joke whenever those clowns open their mouths.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Wouldn't the league step in to avoid having it go public? Seems like a situation where the NHL would greatly benefit from being proactive. I'm not saying it for sure happened, just that the logic that had it happened we'd have heard about it doesn't carry much weight imo. lots of stuff happens behind the scenes that doesn't end up being made public in any official manner, and if you're satisfied with unofficial channels, wouldn't the very rumour you're dismissing qualify?

It's tenuous logic, but given the amount of napalm grenades this franchise has been throwing into it's own foxholes, the fact that noone has said anything about missed payroll when there is all kinds of incentive to stoke the fire for change.... yeah I mean I can't prove it did or didn't happen. Agreed.

I just find myself on the other end of the probability hypothesis spectrum than you.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's tenuous logic, but given the amount of napalm grenades this franchise has been throwing into it's own foxholes, the fact that noone has said anything about missed payroll when there is all kinds of incentive to stoke the fire for change.... yeah I mean I can't prove it did or didn't happen. Agreed.

I just find myself on the other end of the probability hypothesis spectrum than you.

I'm not actually taking sides on this one, I neither believe it did, or didn't happen, I just don't dismiss it as a possibility. The event allegedly occurred when the majority of the media were still reluctant to criticize the org, so I don't think the absence of them piling on is evidence of anything.

There is so much happening now, that there's little need for media to go back 9 months to find juicy dirt to talk about.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's the NHL when they say they 'need' a new arena that means the city needs to build a new arena soon please and thank you
No matter how they feel personly about EM a vote would never pass to take a team from another owner because someone is talking new arena.
Most these guys can't afford nor do they want to build their own and no way do they open the door that allows their team to be snatched later when someone else shows up saying new arena

Lol. Why does the NHL give a shit where the money for a new arena comes from?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Because they don’t want to pay for it?

It would be the owner paying for it, not the NHL. If a prospective owner (say Devcore) is willing to step in, buy the team, and facilitate the Lebreton deal with no public funding, you're telling me the NHL wouldn't want this?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It would be the owner paying for it, not the NHL. If a prospective owner (say Devcore) is willing to step in, buy the team, and facilitate the Lebreton deal with no public funding, you're telling me the NHL wouldn't want this?

As I stated in the last paragraph of the post quoted no they would not. I also gave the reason

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
"with no questions asked" .... I highly doubt that. Had bought tickets on some trust , went to games , but many have serious questions.

No acknowledgement

I think what they are trying to do is speak to anyone who buys tickets blindly, without any concern for what the team is doing, how it performs, where it is located, etc.

And further, they would like those fans to find other sheep...er, sorry, fans to buy tickets without caring if the product is worth it.

Basically, they want to fill the building with fans that are completely disengaged from the game. How disengaged...enough that they don't even see the team giving them the finger. Because this is the best way to build a passionate, diehard fanbase for years to come.

Reactions: Deku

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
As I stated in the last paragraph of the post quoted no they would not. I also gave the reason

But this is not a scenario that ever happens. If our owner was normal, he'd make this happen. Name a situation where an owner of a team has stood in the way of a new arena?

Of course "owners don't want to pay for a new arena" but it's not that simple in this case. It's not like they'd be cutting a 600 mill cheque. They'd be part of the Lebreton project and be able to pay for the arena over a long period of time (from what I understand) using the profits realized from that partnership. Eugene just doesn't have whatever capital is required to do it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
But this is not a scenario that ever happens. If our owner was normal, he'd make this happen. Name a situation where an owner of a team has stood in the way of a new arena?

Of course "owners don't want to pay for a new arena" but it's not that simple in this case. It's not like they'd be cutting a 600 mill cheque. They'd be part of the Lebreton project and be able to pay for the arena over a long period of time (from what I understand) using the profits realized from that partnership. Eugene just doesn't have whatever capital is required to do it.

They are not going into to cities handing out resumes and applying for 15 years of work so maybe one day they can own there own arena’s. I am not sure why you can’t see what this arena deal is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad