Sportsnet: The Circus Continues in Ottawa - Hockey Central @ Noon

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't even understand what you're saying anymore.

Hey NHL we will sell you some land and you pay for your own rink then you can earn the money back by doing drywall for the next 15 years sound good?
This is basically the same deal is it not?

Do you think “every normal owner” would do this?

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The arena dream is dead. The idea that there would be another location available to him, or that he could pull it off is laughable. They will just have to rot out in Kanata with their god awful cap floor team and continue selling off players when they need to be paid. The never ending rebuild.

Reactions: KeithfromCanada

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hey NHL we will sell you some land and you pay for your own rink then you can earn the money back by doing drywall for the next 15 years sound good?
This is basically the same deal is it not?

Do you think “every normal owner” would do this?

You're just saying it's bad, but you're not saying why it's bad.

I'm no expert, but to me that sounds like a better deal than having to cut a $600m cheque. The entire Lebreton deal is something like $4B total. Are you telling me the NHL/ prospective owner wouldn't want to be a part of that?

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa

It was probably hard for the team to find a decent picture with actual current players who appear to be happy in the photo.

"We can't use that, there's a lady flipping the bird in the background"
"We have to. This is only picture with Chabot, Tkachuk, and White celebrating a goal"

Reactions: topshelf15

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You're just saying it's bad, but you're not saying why it's bad.

I'm no expert, but to me that sounds like a better deal than having to cut a $600m cheque. The entire Lebreton deal is something like $4B total. Are you telling me the NHL/ prospective owner wouldn't want to be a part of that?

It is cutting a 600 million dollar check, with all the risks and headaches that come with a major land development deal,not only do you have to start with the 600 million you then need untold millions more to start the project, then you have to hope like hell you have zero problems and zero cost overruns, then you pray every night when you go to bed you can find more investors and people to buy your condos, then you have to worry if interest rates go up or if real eastate values drop. It’s nothing but forced work,forced land and unwanted risk.
This is a hockey business, it is not in the land development business, how do you not understand?

Not only do they have to pay for their own arena, they also have to take on the cost,risks and work that come with a 4 billion dollar deal...yes/no?
I will leave it at that because I am not sure how else to explain it.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It was probably hard for the team to find a decent picture with actual current players who appear to be happy in the photo.

"We can't use that, there's a lady flipping the bird in the background"
"We have to. This is only picture with Chabot, Tkachuk, and White celebrating a goal"
They could've cropped the picture.

Wouldn't surprise me if this picture was legitimate coming from this dump of an organization

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
They could've cropped the picture.

Wouldn't surprise me if this picture was legitimate coming from this dump of an organization

it’s called click bait, shock value trending it spreads and goes viral. Advertising that reach the masses for free. Well played Ottawa well played

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It is cutting a 600 million dollar check, with all the risks and headaches that come with a major land development deal,not only do you have to start with the 600 million you then need untold millions more to start the project, then you have to hope like hell you have zero problems and zero cost overruns, then you pray every night when you go to bed you can find more investors and people to buy your condos, then you have to worry if interest rates go up or if real eastate values drop. It’s nothing but forced work,forced land and unwanted risk.
This is a hockey business, it is not in the land development business, how do you not understand?

Not only do they have to pay for their own arena, they also have to take on the cost,risks and work that come with a 4 billion dollar deal...yes/no?
I will leave it at that because I am not sure how else to explain it.

Agree to disagree. The owner would be partnered with a real estate entity (Trinity, DCDLS), and would likely not be too involved in the real estate portion, let alone responsible for it.

I'm just failing to see (if the numbers make sense for all sides) how this would be a bad deal for anyone involved.

It was good enough that DCDLS and Ruddy both signed off on the deal proposed in failed mediation, and presumably those two groups would be footing the majority of the cost/risk for the project (arena included). It's looking more and more like Eugene just didn't have the cash to hold up his end of the deal. That does not mean it was a bad deal.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Agree to disagree. The owner would be partnered with a real estate entity (Trinity, DCDLS), and would likely not be too involved in the real estate portion, let alone responsible for it.

I'm just failing to see (if the numbers make sense for all sides) how this would be a bad deal for anyone involved.

It was good enough that DCDLS and Ruddy both signed off on the deal proposed in failed mediation, and presumably those two groups would be footing the majority of the cost/risk for the project (arena included). It's looking more and more like Eugene just didn't have the cash to hold up his end of the deal. That does not mean it was a bad deal.

Ruddy and DCDLS are land developers they want to make money developing land. Ruddy got offered the entire project but didn’t want to touch that

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We have our answer by now. Every single thing the Ottawa Senators ever have or will do is 100% A+ work in his books.

I mean it's not really that different than the other side. Pretty much everything the organization does now seems to be an issue some how. Sure the organization has brought negative attention on themselves with decisions they've made but that doesn't mean everything they do is a problem. It really seems like no matter how insignificant the topic, it's somehow an issue.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How many people are talking about Ottawa or passing this image around that would never be reached? Everyone does it, they would be amateurs if they didn’t
Ottawa has been the talk of the league for the past couple seasons for the wrong reasons.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean it's not really that different than the other side. Pretty much everything the organization does now seems to be an issue some how. Sure the organization has brought negative attention on themselves with decisions they've made but that doesn't mean everything they do is a problem. It really seems like no matter how insignificant the topic, it's somehow an issue.
Without question, there's hyperbole on both sides. I just like to give credit to this particular chap for doing such a great job defending them full time like only the Count could have.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Legit question, over the last 2 calendar years can you think of any times they were unfairly criticized? I understand your sentiment and am trying to agree with you but I can't think of a time recently where the "vocal minority" got pissed and there was no merit to it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yea it is. There is no reasonable middle ground here.

“Everything this organization does is a disaster” is far more accurate than “everything this franchise does is amazing”.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Legit question, over the last 2 calendar years can you think of any times they were unfairly criticized? I understand your sentiment and am trying to agree with you but I can't think of a time recently where the "vocal minority" got pissed and there was no merit to it.

I could go on for days, most of it being insignificant matters.

One meeting in particular was worse than any other. I was bombarded with questions about why I was a bad person or a bad teammate and I couldn’t say anything. I just took it for hours. I was told that I was a bad influence and I had less than one chance or I would be buried in the minors and that would end my career. Sitting and hearing from these people who don’t know me and think that I am a bad person was extremely hard. I was crushed.

From Lehner's article with The Athletic at the start of the season. I saw quite a few accuse the Senators organization of being the team referenced here.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I could go on for days, most of it being insignificant matters.

From Lehner's article with The Athletic at the start of the season. I saw quite a few accuse the Senators organization of being the team referenced here.

Either the Sens or Sabres right? From someone who was suffering from mental and substance problems at the time, I would criticize either organization for not exploring/recognizing this and not helping the the player as indicated by the above quotes, of course this is only one side of the story but seeing the seeming changed results from the Lehner these days I would say that's fair criticism no?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Either the Sens or Sabres right? From someone who was suffering from mental and substance problems at the time, I would criticize either organization for not exploring/recognizing this and not helping the the player as indicated by the above quotes, of course this is only one side of the story but seeing the seeming changed results from the Lehner these days I would say that's fair criticism no?

The meeting was with neither. It was a meeting during the past summer when he was a UFA. Safe to say neither team had much interest in him. Lehner actually mentions how supportive Jason Botterill was as well. I intentionally left out the paragraph before the one I quoted because people see a little snippet on social media and without understanding the context jump to conclusions and with the negativity around the team now there isn't much reasoning.

Just last Monday (TDL) there was a poster who said he heard Dorion wasn't speaking that day and was upset about it. What happened was that on Saturday there was a tweet saying Dorion wasn't speaking 'today (saturday) or tomorrow (sunday)' but that tweet is viewed on sunday or monday and it's assumed he isn't talking for the next two days. It's a constant problem around here, on twitter pretty much everywhere these days. People just want to be upset so when they see something there's little reasoning, they just run to their favourite outlet and vent. Most of the time thereisn't any merit.

Just look at the potential line up for tonight's game. Despite the coach saying that they havent decided who is out of the line up tonight you already have people upset that 'Wolanin isn't playing'.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The meeting was with neither. It was a meeting during the past summer when he was a UFA. Safe to say neither team had much interest in him. Lehner actually mentions how supportive Jason Botterill was as well. I intentionally left out the paragraph before the one I quoted because people see a little snippet on social media and without understanding the context jump to conclusions and with the negativity around the team now there isn't much reasoning.

Just last Monday (TDL) there was a poster who said he heard Dorion wasn't speaking that day and was upset about it. What happened was that on Saturday there was a tweet saying Dorion wasn't speaking 'today (saturday) or tomorrow (sunday)' but that tweet is viewed on sunday or monday and it's assumed he isn't talking for the next two days. It's a constant problem around here, on twitter pretty much everywhere these days. People just want to be upset so when they see something there's little reasoning, they just run to their favourite outlet and vent. Most of the time thereisn't any merit.

Just look at the potential line up for tonight's game. Despite the coach saying that they havent decided who is out of the line up tonight you already have people upset that 'Wolanin isn't playing'.

I totally understand what your saying and have certainly been guilty of it myself...that said I cannot apologize for it really, to me cheering for the team has been a nightmare since that double OT Chris Kunitz goal virtually exclusively....I stick around because I hold out hope for the future for some unknown twisted reason.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I totally understand what your saying and have certainly been guilty of it myself...that said I cannot apologize for it really, to me cheering for the team has been a nightmare since that double OT Chris Kunitz goal virtually exclusively....I stick around because I hold out hope for the future for some unknown twisted reason.
They deserve every bit of angst and anger pointed towards them. This is the highest level of pro hockey in the world and they have failed miserably. Excel or get canned and next man up.

Last edited:

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Why because I won’t freak out over nothing? What’s the big issue? You don’t like what some tinny little fan in the background of a picture is doing? Lol big deal

Because it should never have happened.

Tell me with a straight face that if you owned the sens, including the current budget, that the two people you would hire to turn this ship around would have ZERO significant experience in either sports marketing or running a major sports franchise. This is nothing personal, they are probably good people and work very hard for the team, and that deserves a thank you...but they should never have been put in the positions they have because they are vastly under-qualified.

So, it's not this specific mistake that matters. It matters only because it is one more piece of evidence that this business is not being run properly.

And sadly, a lot of fans in other cities only know Ottawa because of the team, and fair or unfair, the cities brand gets tarnished by association.

I'll ask again, surely you know someone that works at the CTC. Ask them what it's like. How is the culture? How is the pay? When people have left, have they backfilled the position? How is it compared to when Leeder and Murray were in charge?

Reactions: Upgrayedd

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
How many people are talking about Ottawa or passing this image around that would never be reached?

Very few. It's mostly just to the hockey community that already nows who the sens are. This is just shaping their opinion of the sens. Not their awareness.

Everyone does it, they would be amateurs if they didn’t

Totally false. Yes companies use click-bait tactics to drive higher click rates. But there is a huge difference between..."Hey Kids, Click Here to See What Happens to Ryder on Paw Patrol"...vs a picture of Ryder flipping of Marshall.

The assumption that any press is good press is false. Bad press is still bad press. How many of the actors caught up in Me Too allegations starred in movies/TV shows this year?

Hope you were being sarcastic, otherwise you have to continue down your line of thinking and justify that it would be fine to put out a video of Melnyk defecating on your face and tell me that everything still looks fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad