The Chevy & Jets Management Megathread (See mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I wanted pavelec bought out, he didnt. Compliance buy out has no cap implications to speak of, and, it could have been done 2 years ago. He didn't.

I didn't like the Oduya trade, and it's turned out to be a bad move. So far.

I wanted chevy to re-sign Frolik, and didn't want him to re-sign Thor and Stuart. He did.

What moves would I make out of the blue? I dunno, trade for Price for a 1st? Anything I suggest you will simply say couldn't be done or wasn't available.Yet other GM's found ways to do it.

I agree with your thinking on Frolik Thor and Stuart. I thought the Oduya trade was a good thing. He wasn't re-signing here. I would have traded Hainsey for the same reason. But none of those things changes the team significantly enough to make us serious contenders.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
If that's his job, the Jets will never contend. A successful franchise and GM has to be good at using all tools to build the team. Draft and develop, trades, negotiate good contracts, waiver wire, free agency, networking with other GMs blah blah blah. Regarding D&D, every team says it, but I don't see any evidence that shows that the Jets are in any way exceptional here. When you trade away draft picks and prospects for rental players and then chase them out after 2 months, well that's not draft and develop. When you clear out roster spots to move guys up who aren't ready in order to give them 5 minutes of ice time, that's not develop.

Aside from D&D, you need to use free agency effectively to build a winner. Look at now NJ and Calgary benefited off of Chevy and the Jets this year. They didn't have to give up ANYTHING to sign Frolik, Tlusty and Stempniak. Just sign fair contracts. That's depth for FREE for those teams, depth that walked out the door of the Jets. No wonder we have the fourth line with the lowest minutes in the NHL. I don't follow the Moose much, but when you see our AHL team has BY FAR the least goals for in the league, obviously we have a forward depth issue there as well. The next closest terrible team has about 50% more goals for per game. It is unheard of just how bad the Moose are in scoring. Honestly, if I were Chevy I would be embarrassed with how both teams were decimated from a forward depth perspective. Honestly, it's shameful. Then again, all of those proven effective NHL forward assets walked with no return, period. It's petty clear the cause and effect here.

I hope he doesn't mismanage Buf and Ladd the way he did Frolik. The Pav contract, it's all been said. But recently, Pay Stu 2x what he is worth, overpay the glue guys and helmet punchers, but dicker over a couple hundred grand for Frolik. It's honestly idiotic. Oh well.

Onwards and Upwards.

Neither Frolik or Stempniak are being used as 'depth' on their current teams. But they both would've been bottom six here. Every UFA costs NOTHING to their new team.

I attribute the low scoring Moose to a transition. That team is young, and will continue to add young pieces (our draft picks) every year moving forward. We're no longer going to mainly employ the career AHLer. IMO TNSE has committed to strengthen their product by means of a 'feeder' system.

My last point is about D & D. Many believe that Draft and Develop means we draft them (any round) and then our superior system & coaching, will develop them. Wrong!!

D & D means that you draft what you as an organization deems to be the best players with the best upside for success. The onus is still on those players to push their development to the highest levels. That's why TNSE looks for certain types that are self-motivators. Rink Rats.....Guys like Scheifele that love watching video, love working out, basically always pushing themselves to get better.

Yes, you still need a top notch coaching program and a knowledgeable off-ice development environment (how to train, eat, rest the body, etc.). But the 'develop' part comes directly from the type of player you have 'Drafted' (there's a link)......Smart (hockey IQ), Skilled (has the basic tools), Potential (room to grow-physically/mentally) and Character (good work habits, good work ethic, willing to learn). It's not an exact science. Not all players need to develop in the Minors.

For instance, Petan has been developing in junior since being drafted 2 1/2 years ago. He didn't skip the development part when he made the team out of camp; however, it now looks like he needs some 'further' development at a 'higher' competition level. But Petan had earned his shot (depending on how you view our depth competition). To skip the 'develop' part would mean Petan making the Jets in September 2013 or even 2014......that didn't happen. I think some people feel that Draft & develop is a term that states a franchise will mold that player (even a 6th or 7th round pick) into a bona fide NHLer regardless of the player himself. It really starts with who you draft....and if they have the 'drive' to develop.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I attribute the low scoring Moose to a transition.

I agree with a lot of your post. But this part stands out for me. Transition is a very nice way to say lack of talent IMHO.

And if the Jets were so good at draft and develop, the Moose would not be in/near the basement of the AHL with BY FAR the least goals for per game. Like an EMBARRASSINGLY RIDICULOUSLY LOW goals per game. And it might be explainable if you could say that they were paying the price for the Jets to have a solid forward depth. But look - OUR FOURTH LINE SUCKS. That's not me saying it, that's the coach playing them at/near lowest usage in the league. It's indisputable. There is no way to argue that we have such a solid forth line that the coach gives them 5 or 6 minutes a game.

We can sugar coat things, but at the end of the day we are so thin at forward talent and depth between the NHL and AHL franchises that it is honestly embarrassing. And when Raffl is brought up as our depth, I have to shake my head and remind people that there is another guy that has never played a regular season NHL game. It is laughable to try to argue that Chevy has given us (either the Jets or the Moose) any reasonable level of forward depth. Laughable. So I will laugh. :laugh:

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't think anybody is giving up on Lowry, just many people have super unrealistic expectations of his potential. In the offseason people were talking #2 C, #1 LW, future Selke winner.

I think he'll be a good to decent player but I don't think tall, decent possession players, who don't score much are huge rarity in NHL bottom 6's.

Last edited:

White Out 403*

The Moose being one of the worst teams in the AHL is a huge question mark. It's really casting some doubt on how good our depth really is. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is being a little.. pie eyed.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The Moose being one of the worst teams in the AHL is a huge question mark. It's really casting some doubt on how good our depth really is. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is being a little.. pie eyed.

Or they could have terrible AHL level players. Being a poor AHL team doesn't necessarily equate directly to poor depth within the organization.

And the last comment in your post isn't very conducive to useful discussion. Agree with my assessment, or you're drunk? I may be drunk, but it has nothing to do with questioning your opinion. ;)

White Out 403*

Or they could have terrible AHL level players. Being a poor AHL team doesn't necessarily equate directly to poor depth within the organization.

And the last comment in your post isn't very conducive to useful discussion. Agree with my assessment, or you're drunk? I may be drunk, but it has nothing to do with questioning your opinion. ;)

Sure, you don't have to have a great AHL team to have great depth. That's true. But our young guys need to be playing at a better level for me to feel better. Morrissey is struggling to put up points, for example. That's alarming.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sure, you don't have to have a great AHL team to have great depth. That's true. But our young guys need to be playing at a better level for me to feel better. Morrissey is struggling to put up points, for example. That's alarming.

Or, it's because he's a pro rookie on a team that's struggling to score overall.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know how there can be so much clamoring about not losing Buff and Ladd for nothing, but criticize Chevy for the Oduya trade which was exactly that - getting something for a pending UFA.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
To be fair, I heard Zinger say multiple times that they didn't expect the Moose to compete in the standings as they were not going to bring in any veterans and would let the young guys take over given that they aren't the big team in town now.

They have loads of 1st and 2nd year pros.

White Out 403*

I don't know how there can be so much clamoring about not losing Buff and Ladd for nothing, but criticize Chevy for the Oduya trade which was exactly that - getting something for a pending UFA.

Because we should have re-signed him. The trade was lesser of two evils, of course.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Because we should have re-signed him. The trade was lesser of two evils, of course.

He has to want to resign with us first does he not? I mean he does have free will. I have no idea but it is a possibility that they had an indication that he wouldn't resign before they traded him.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Or, it's because he's a pro rookie on a team that's struggling to score overall.

Yes, I agree with this.

I've listened to a few Moose games on the radio and talked to some people that have gone to the games and they inidicate that Morrissey is playing pretty well as of late despite not having many points. Stat watching doesn't always tell the story.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, I agree with this.

I've listened to a few Moose games on the radio and talked to some people that have gone to the games and they inidicate that Morrissey is playing pretty well as of late despite not having many points. Stat watching doesn't always tell the story.

I have seen him play a number of times now and he's looked quite good to me and if his teammates could finish or if some pucks bounced right he's have a number of points. Hes also been tasked with carrying ECHL caliber partners on his back most of the year as he's been paired mostly with Harstaad, Serville and Stoykowich.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015

Fear not. Some of our best prospects aren't there (AHL) yet. Put Connor, Foley, Harkins, Roslovic, Spacek, Nogier, Glover, Poolman, Niku, Lemieux, Karlstrom etc. on that team, and the results may be a tad different. :popcorn: It will take some time to transition to a true 'farm' team.

IMO, some players (Morrissey) play better or elevate their game when they are put with higher end talent. Not that the Moose are void of high end talent now, but maybe just not enough of it.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I have seen him play a number of times now and he's looked quite good to me and if his teammates could finish or if some pucks bounced right he's have a number of points. Hes also been tasked with carrying ECHL caliber partners on his back most of the year as he's been paired mostly with Harstaad, Serville and Stoykowich.

Yeah if we judged strictly on points than Brendan Kichton would be ready for the show.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has to want to resign with us first does he not? I mean he does have free will. I have no idea but it is a possibility that they had an indication that he wouldn't resign before they traded him.

The criticism is also more to that fact that Chevy has done ZERO to attempt to fill the hole on LD that has been there for what 4 seasons now? Isn't it sad that Ron Hainsey and Oduya would be huge upgrades on our LD after Enstrom. Trading Oduya is fine, the return was decent but what's with the complete inaction in replacing him? Even if you thought that Grant Clitsome was the answer, the man has been injured for a couple of seasons yet we did nothing to get LD depth.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
This was a pure something for nothing deal - I just wished they'd done it more often with other expiring vets.

List of players lost in UFA:
Zubarev
Sifers
Krog
Welch
Radek Dvorak
Anthony Stewart
Pettersson
Eric Boulton
Rob Schremp
Glass
Jonas Gustavsson (never signed a contract though)
Chris Mason
Stapleton
Arturs Kulda
Flood
Festerling
Fehr
Santorelli
Meech
Antropov
Montoya
Redmond
Olli Jokinen
Andrew Gordon
Samson
Setoguchi
Frolik
O'Dell
O'Neill
Ellerby
Tlusty
Stempniak

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

The bolded frustrates me. I expected this young AHL team to be bad, but I also thought they'd go after vets or more real skill as opposed to signing guys that clearly habe no NHL future, with AHL being a long shot. They were really not that useful in college.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The bolded frustrates me. I expected this young AHL team to be bad, but I also thought they'd go after vets or more real skill as opposed to signing guys that clearly habe no NHL future, with AHL being a long shot. They were really not that useful in college.

Agreed, I think Heisinger really dropped the ball this year with regards to filling out the roster.

I get wanting to give our kids key roles, but they needed to bring in some quality vets in some key spots. They needed to bring in at least one, maybe two quality AHL scorers and at least one other quality defenseman. We only have Harrison as a quality vet.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
List of players lost in UFA:
Zubarev
Sifers
Krog
Welch
Radek Dvorak
Anthony Stewart
Pettersson
Eric Boulton
Rob Schremp
Glass
Jonas Gustavsson (never signed a contract though)
Chris Mason
Stapleton
Arturs Kulda
Flood
Festerling
Fehr
Santorelli
Meech
Antropov
Montoya
Redmond
Olli Jokinen
Andrew Gordon
Samson
Setoguchi
Frolik
O'Dell
O'Neill
Ellerby
Tlusty
Stempniak

Aside from the bolded; that's the kind of stuff you leave in the back lane, by the curb, and hope that someone takes it away. Otherwise you have to call 'Got Junk" and pay to have it hauled away. YUCK!!

Lost...in UFA? Lost is usually reserved for things you'd like back. PASS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad