The Chevy & Jets Management Megathread (See mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Many have asked for a place to discuss Chevy, Maurice, and the rest of the Jets management and coaching crew. Here's a thread to discuss anything related to those topics.

Please note: anyone who flames another user, uses troll'ish verbiage such as "hater" or "fanboy", or breaks any other rule listed in the site rules will be thread-banned and infracted. Too many threads such as this one have devolved into senseless ad-hominem laced bickering. Keep it civil, and have respect for your fellow posters, and please keep it on-topic - we have many threads for discussing individual players, other teams, etc.

Other than each other, everything else is fair game. Have at 'er. ;)

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I believe we have one of the best GM/coach combos in the league, along with a great ownership tandem.

If we continue to rock the draft like we have its only a matter of time before we challenge for a cup.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
They have their warts for sure, as they all do.

That being said I think with the group we have the pro's far outweigh the con's.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Although they get a lot of hate for the Chris Thorburn extension, name 1 player that is better value for the price. He is a solid third or second line locker room glue guy, at a steal of a price!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I love that we have a big plug for Thorburn within the first five posts. That should make this thread pop.

My observation of Chevy over the past season or so is that he's not afraid to move players or let them go if they don't fit with his blueprint. GMs can become overly sentimental and hang onto players for too long, but Chevy traded Kane and Bogo (two guys he signed to long-term deals), let Slater go, and refused to go beyond his slotted salary for Frolik. Whether we agree with those decisions, it shows that he will make big decisions and stick to his plan.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My only complaint is that they sometimes seem to sacrifice the here and now for future success. It's like they are overly patient.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I love that we have a big plug for Thorburn within the first five posts. That should make this thread pop.

My observation of Chevy over the past season or so is that he's not afraid to move players or let them go if they don't fit with his blueprint. GMs can become overly sentimental and hang onto players for too long, but Chevy traded Kane and Bogo (two guys he signed to long-term deals), let Slater go, and refused to go beyond his slotted salary for Frolik. Whether we agree with those decisions, it shows that he will make big decisions and stick to his plan.

He had NO choice but to trade Kane and waited way too long IMO to make that move. It could/should of been done years ago. My grandma can see Slater is done, not a tough decision. His lack of decisiveness in not signing Frolic last season may be a big mistake in losing Frolic. Chevy is too loyal to guys (Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso). I am interested to see how Chevy deals with the Byfuglien situation. This may be his biggest decision he had to make siince the Jets came back. Despite this Chevy has done a great job over all. Sometimes making no move is gaining ground on the mistakes these other GM's make. The team is gradually improving every year and that is the most important thing. It is easy to be an armchair GM.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I believe in our management. I'll echo Whileee in that though we may not all agree with or disagree with Chevy & co's moves, for a young and essentially first time NHL GM, Chevy is pretty good and we're fortunate to have the management we do.

They've turned the franchise around into one that has arguably the best prospect pool and a bright future - all in the smallest nhl market.

I don't agree with every move Chevy makes, but I'm a huge Chevy fan and very content with our management.

When one steps back outside of our Jets bubble and looks at the bigger picture of what they're building, we are very lucky to have the management we have.

I have faith in em.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He had NO choice but to trade Kane and waited way too long IMO to make that move. It could/should of been done years ago. My grandma can see Slater is done, not a tough decision. His lack of decisiveness in not signing Frolic last season may be a big mistake in losing Frolic. Chevy is too loyal to guys (Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso). I am interested to see how Chevy deals with the Byfuglien situation. This may be his biggest decision he had to make siince the Jets came back. Despite this Chevy has done a great job over all. Sometimes making no move is gaining ground on the mistakes these other GM's make. The team is gradually improving every year and that is the most important thing. It is easy to be an armchair GM.

If you want to criticize anyone for Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso, you might as well take a shot at Maurice. Because those guys are here and playing largely because Maurice wants them to. In this thread, critiques of Maurice are also okay, especially when you are questioning decisions that he has a large part in.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just for fun, here is where Chevy and Maurice finished in the NHL Awards:

GM of the Year: Chevy @ #7
Coach of the Year: Maurice @ #4

Discuss?

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
If you want to criticize anyone for Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso, you might as well take a shot at Maurice. Because those guys are here and playing largely because Maurice wants them to. In this thread, critiques of Maurice are also okay, especially when you are questioning decisions that he has a large part in.

Fair enough. It is also easy being an armchair coach. For every bad decision Maurice makes, he makes 49 good decisions. I was not surprised the Jets made the playoffs last season but I am surprised at their style he got the team to play. A year ago, if you told me the Jets made the playoffs I would of said it would be because of some combination of Kane scoring 40 goals, Wheeler getting 80 points and/or Byfuglien leading the leauge in defenceman scoring. To see the Jets become one of the hardest working teams in the league and play so much more responsible defensively is an incredible coaching job. I did not think this group had it in them.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
My only complaint is that they sometimes seem to sacrifice the here and now for future success. It's like they are overly patient.

There's that, but if the goal is winning a Stanley Cup and contending on any consistent basis for a length of time, loading up on Frolik-type players on long-term deals isn't going to help.

I'd sacrifice losing in the first round of the playoffs to allow development of/extensions for the players who are going to lead the charge when the Jets are able to contend

I like that term only goes to core guys, although I obviously don't always agree on who they identify as "core."

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Switching gears a bit. I think Maurice laid a foundation last season, and this season he will build on it. A foundation of fitness and hard work I good to build on. He has talked about quickness in the past while. Making decisions quicker, switching gears quicker. I think we will see a more skilled game in the fall. Less reliance on physical play. Although we don't see huge changes on the roster, I expect to see a different game on the ice.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Still upset that Chevy could not sign Frolik to a 5 year deal. I hope the rumors of him wanting to sign Fro to a two year term aren't true.

I'm glad he didn't spring for 5 years. That's too much term for a non-core piece when the first few draft classes are starting to break through.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
There's that, but if the goal is winning a Stanley Cup and contending on any consistent basis for a length of time, loading up on Frolik-type players on long-term deals isn't going to help.

I'd sacrifice losing in the first round of the playoffs to allow development of/extensions for the players who are going to lead the charge when the Jets are able to contend

I like that term only goes to core guys, although I obviously don't always agree on who they identify as "core."

While I agree, for the most part, Chevy has sacrificed four prime years of Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Buff, etc.) To not making the playoffs. There were moves that could have been made that would have helped that along. Namely signing Pavelec to that ridiculous contract and not buying him out when they had the chance. This was a critical mistake. A key acquisition here and there and actually getting a decent goaltender...this team would have been contending already. Signing quality players to the bottom six and not plugs like halischuk, peluso, wright, Slater etc.) Would have gone a very long way to getting the deal done in that regard. Our forward depth was ****ed for a long time there has been no reason not to fix it. We have needed a second pairing LD for as long as I can remember...and yet players like Stuart and Clitsome are consistently pushed into a role that they cannot play.

Once again there was no reason for this.

Claude Noel should have been gone.long before he was. Especially after it was clear that the room hated him.

Simple things that could have accelerated this process.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Sometimes they seem too infatuated with "their" guys, rather than give guys who have earned it a shot.

Ex. Thorburn, Slater, Peluso, Pardy, Halischuk, Ellerby, Tangradi, Wright, Jones, Jaffray, Flood, Gagnon, etc.

We lost the likes of Kulda, O'Dell, Klingberg (granted, it was a good trade for us), Redmond and others without ever really giving them a shot. Sure, they weren't great, maybe they were average at best - but could they really have been worse than some of the names listed above?

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
While I agree, for the most part, Chevy has sacrificed four prime years of Wheeler, Little, Ladd, Buff, etc.) To not making the playoffs. There were moves that could have been made that would have helped that along. Namely signing Pavelec to that ridiculous contract and not buying him out when they had the chance. This was a critical mistake. A key acquisition here and there and actually getting a decent goaltender...this team would have been contending already. Signing quality players to the bottom six and not plugs like halischuk, peluso, wright, Slater etc.) Would have gone a very long way to getting the deal done in that regard. Our forward depth was ****ed for a long time there has been no reason not to fix it. We have needed a second pairing LD for as long as I can remember...and yet players like Stuart and Clitsome are consistently pushed into a role that they cannot play.

Once again there was no reason for this.

Claude Noel should have been gone.long before he was. Especially after it was clear that the room hated him.

Simple things that could have accelerated this process.

Though I agree that the Management Executives (GM's & Coaches) of the Jets aren't infallible; I don't think they've sacrificed anybody's 'prime' years.

A move here or there was the difference in contending? Look at the Wild and the Blues......perennial chokers (yet stacked with talent). Signings guarantee nothing. Good coaching has a bigger impact in my opinion.

Plus, the Jets roster in those first two years was not going to contend (even in the weak South East Division) against the likes of Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal etc..

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Though I agree that the Management Executives (GM's & Coaches) of the Jets aren't infallible; I don't think they've sacrificed anybody's 'prime' years.

A move here or there was the difference in contending? Look at the Wild and the Blues......perennial chokers (yet stacked with talent). Signings guarantee nothing. Good coaching has a bigger impact in my opinion.

Plus, the Jets roster in those first two years was not going to contend (even in the weak South East Division) against the likes of Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal etc..

Good coaching...well I would agree with that but they should have been shot of Noel long before they were. TBH, they shouldn't have re-upped him.

Sure we may not have been a Stanley cup contending team...but the goal would have been playoffs. With a stronger bottom six and goaltending and a few other moves this team would have been much better.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

I was never in favour of trading Kane but once it came out that he'd asked for a trade years ago, that put it in a different light. It should have been done long before it was, and for a better return.

Maurice might have had some influence on StuPelThor but the buck still stops at Chevy. He might put a lot of weight on hockey IQ and skill at the draft, but strangely he seems to overvalue plug values like "grit" on his team. Give Mo better choices than StuPelThor and he'll probably be a better coach, or at least not have the means at hand to make so many bizarre coaching decisions.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

I was never in favour of trading Kane but once it came out that he'd asked for a trade years ago, that put it in a different light. It should have been done long before it was, and for a better return.

Maurice might have had some influence on StuPelThor but the buck still stops at Chevy. He might put a lot of weight on hockey IQ and skill at the draft, but strangely he seems to overvalue plug values like "grit" on his team. Give Mo better choices than StuPelThor and he'll probably be a better coach, or at least not have the means at hand to make so many bizarre coaching decisions.

So Chevy should ignore his coach when making personnel decisions?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So Chevy should ignore his coach when making personnel decisions?

It's a two way street, but Chevy has final decision as the GM....thus he gets credit when things go well and criticism when they don't. You can't let the chickens run the hen house, Chevy has final word and ultimate responsibility for this organization as long as he holds the title of GM.

No different in our professional careers. VP or CEO might listen to their managers & director & employees but the VP & CEO hold final say and ultimate responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad