The Chevy & Jets Management Megathread (See mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I think it's become increasingly clear that there is no plan. At least not a plan that is coherent. The draft and development model is a strategy to acquire players, it is NOT a plan. And if it is the plan, they surely aren't sticking to it. Trading picks to acquire Frolik and Setogouchi? Signing Jokinen? Trying to sign UFAs Zach Parise and Paul Statsny? Trading picks to acquire depth at the deadline then letting them walk when they could've been retained for league minimum salaries? Despite trying to become a better team, they have not lifted a finger to improve goaltending for 4 consecutive years and we have the worst LHD in the league - 2 issues that literally anyone who knows anything about the sport would be able to identify within a couple weeks.

There is no plan. So it's really made me wonder if Chipman's meddling is the problem and Chevy would love to improve the team but Chippy is in the way. But then I reminded myself that we signed Stuart and Thorburn to multi-year extensions and Pavelec is still the starter, five years later. Meddlesome owner or not, that is a completely incompetent assessment of those players and it will be no small irony if we lose Buff or Ladd because they want an extra $750k per year when we are overpaying Stuart and Thorburn by $750k/year each.

:shakehead

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Or perhaps it's time for Ladd and Buff to reward TNSE with a little hometown discount?

Lol. Maybe we can get them to wash cars at Birchwood Toyota on the weekends?

Top 10 defensemen and top 10 wingers don't give hometown discounts to teams with $29 million in cap space, who didn't want to break the bank on Lee Stempniak.

White Out 403*

I think it's become increasingly clear that there is no plan. At least not a plan that is coherent. The draft and development model is a strategy to acquire players, it is NOT a plan. And if it is the plan, they surely aren't sticking to it. Trading picks to acquire Frolik and Setogouchi? Signing Jokinen? Trying to sign UFAs Zach Parise and Paul Statsny? Trading picks to acquire depth at the deadline then letting them walk when they could've been retained for league minimum salaries? Despite trying to become a better team, they have not lifted a finger to improve goaltending for 4 consecutive years and we have the worst LHD in the league - 2 issues that literally anyone who knows anything about the sport would be able to identify within a couple weeks.

There is no plan. So it's really made me wonder if Chipman's meddling is the problem and Chevy would love to improve the team but Chippy is in the way. But then I reminded myself that we signed Stuart and Thorburn to multi-year extensions and Pavelec is still the starter, five years later. Meddlesome owner or not, that is a completely incompetent assessment of those players and it will be no small irony if we lose Buff or Ladd because they want an extra $750k per year when we are overpaying Stuart and Thorburn by $750k/year each.

:shakehead

Truth. Great post. There seems to be no rhyme or reason... chevy seems to "like" some players over others with no pattern. That's not a great management style.

Top 10 defensemen and top 10 wingers don't give hometown discounts to teams with $29 million in cap space, who didn't want to break the bank on Lee Stempniak.

rofl I died laughing out loud at work from this. Omg blue, please never change. You are my ambassador of awesome.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

That was totally in response to the "cheaping out" comment, not that I actually expect it. It's funny how when it happens on other teams it's not called "cheaping out" but rather a shrewd GM getting a home town discount. That's all I was trying to say.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
That was totally in response to the "cheaping out" comment, not that I actually expect it. It's funny how when it happens on other teams it's not called "cheaping out" but rather a shrewd GM getting a home town discount. That's all I was trying to say.

Examples of this hometown discount? It's pretty subjective anyways - a discount to one person is overpayment to another.

It is worth noting the Jets only have 6 picks in 7 rounds for the next draft.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

What has TNSE done to expect a hometown discount from these players? The only situation a discount is seen is a) Player is from the area and really wants to play there (this actually doesn't happen often these days see Suter and Parise) or b) The team is perennial contender and needs every cap dollar to stay a contender(Hawks).

With that in mind, what is the incentive for Ladd and Buff to give the Jets a discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad