Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
2007 Grey Cup Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB Depth Chart
1- Ryan Dinwiddie
2- Kliff Kingsbury
3- Zac Taylor

2019 Where are they now
1- Ryan Dinwiddie - Head Coach Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
2 - Kliff Kingsbury - Head Coach Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
3 - Zac Taylor - Head Coach Cinnicinati Bengals (NFL)

Must have been a smart QB room haha

Look at their combined records...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My condolences to Als fans on the hiring of Danny Maciocia to run the franchise.

It really is unfortunate. Right as it looked like that franchise had gotten back on their feet they get kicked in the balls and spat on. Khari did a great job with limited talent last year and it's just gonna get worse.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It really is unfortunate. Right as it looked like that franchise had gotten back on their feet they get kicked in the balls and spat on. Khari did a great job with limited talent last year and it's just gonna get worse.

The number of people in the media hailing this as a smart move by the Alouettes based on Danny building up the university program in Montreal into a national contender is amusing. I don't want to crap on Canadian university ball, but succeeding in a situation where all the talent you need to compete is practically in your own backyard is in no way an indicator that you'll succeed in a league where securing import talent from the southern states is the biggest factor.

He hasn't been involved in the CFL in any capacity since he was fired by Edmonton nearly 10 years ago. I can't fathom he has the sort of connections and scouting network down south that you'd expect from a typical GM. He didn't even seem to have them in his first go-around. Quebec is a talent-rich province when it comes to amateur football and I know there's been this sentiment that the Als need to capitalize on this and bring in local-ish players that fans can really get behind. Danny should -in theory- be able to assemble a strong base of Canadian talent, but that only gets you so far.

I'm not saying a guy should never get a second chance, but generally when a first-time GM is fired, they have to go back and rebuild their resume as an assistant GM, head scout, etc. with a professional organization. Maciocia has now stepped right back into the position he held previously without gaining any relevant CFL experience, and it has disaster written all over it for a franchise that can ill afford to slip back into the same abyss that they just escaped.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL QB's look pretty set so far.

BC - Reilly
CGY - Mitchell
EDM - Harris
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Collaros
HAM - Masoli/Evans
MTL - Adams

All are signed until 2021 at least except Masoli/Evans.

TOR and OTT only ones still looking.

Arbuckle is with OTT until FA. Nichols and Thompson are available. Two of those 3 will sort out in those two teams. Winnipeg should desperately be looking for a backup for Collaros since he is one hit away from a lifetime of Post-Concussion Syndrome.

Nichols/Thompson, Franklin, Jennings are looking for backup roles, likely landing in WPG, SSK, MTL, TOR, OTT.

Then again CFL is so unpredictable. If 12 months ago you'd have said Cody Fajardo is the hot new QB in the league in SSK, Zach Collaros is a defending Grey Cup champ QB in Winnipeg, Dane "who?" Evans led a 15 win team I'd have called you crazy. Literally the only predictable breakout was Adams in Montreal, but even then nobody saw quite that level of success him and Khari had in Montreal.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Dane Evans is signed thru 2021. Masoli is on a 1-year deal.

Cats also re-signed Watford today.

Nichols is visiting the Argos but I wonder if he actually ends up in the Nations Capital and Arbuckle goes to Toronto based on the recent connections they have with the new head coaches in both cities.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Touchdown Atlantic makes me look even more forward to a CFL team coming to this region of the country. Will be nice for the league to have 10 teams and 1 of those to be in Atlantic Canada.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
CFL QB's look pretty set so far.

BC - Reilly
CGY - Mitchell
EDM - Harris
SSK - Fajardo
WPG - Collaros
HAM - Masoli/Evans
MTL - Adams

All are signed until 2021 at least except Masoli/Evans.

TOR and OTT only ones still looking.

Arbuckle is with OTT until FA. Nichols and Thompson are available. Two of those 3 will sort out in those two teams. Winnipeg should desperately be looking for a backup for Collaros since he is one hit away from a lifetime of Post-Concussion Syndrome.

Nichols/Thompson, Franklin, Jennings are looking for backup roles, likely landing in WPG, SSK, MTL, TOR, OTT.

Then again CFL is so unpredictable. If 12 months ago you'd have said Cody Fajardo is the hot new QB in the league in SSK, Zach Collaros is a defending Grey Cup champ QB in Winnipeg, Dane "who?" Evans led a 15 win team I'd have called you crazy. Literally the only predictable breakout was Adams in Montreal, but even then nobody saw quite that level of success him and Khari had in Montreal.

What do you think about going into a season with Collaros the anointed starter and no guarantee that Streveler will be back in the fold? It's an unfortunate reality that Collaros getting through a season healthy just isn't very likely. Without Streveler to pound on opposing defenses at regular intervals, I don't think Collaros would have been nearly as effective as he was down the stretch last year. I'm sure the Bombers will sign somebody (like a Jennings) to be an insurance policy, but I really think they need a guy with a a similar skill set to Streveler that can take a few snaps throughout a game to keep a defense off balance. The unconventional approach was key to their offense.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What do you think about going into a season with Collaros the anointed starter and no guarantee that Streveler will be back in the fold? It's an unfortunate reality that Collaros getting through a season healthy just isn't very likely. Without Streveler to pound on opposing defenses at regular intervals, I don't think Collaros would have been nearly as effective as he was down the stretch last year. I'm sure the Bombers will sign somebody (like a Jennings) to be an insurance policy, but I really think they need a guy with a a similar skill set to Streveler that can take a few snaps throughout a game to keep a defense off balance. The unconventional approach was key to their offense.

It's certainly a concern no doubt. Unfortunately it's impossible to replace a skill set like Streveler. New plans need to be made. However I feel like the Bombers lost an aspect out of their offense with Collaros/Streveler combo compared to earlier in the year. In the Collaros/Streveler combo they made it 95% sure that when Streveler was in they were running somewhere and when Collaros was in they were passing somewhere. Earlier in the year with Nichols/Streveler they had more creativity, IMO. I have zero faith in Collaros playing more than 10 games, and I'm not sure when those 10 will be. They need someone better than a Jennings, IMO. They need to be all in on Franklin or preferably Nichols/Thompson as the backup. Someone who can actually play, because they might be needed for playoffs even. Apparently the Bombers are VERY high on 3rd stringer Sean Maguire like Calgary was on Arbuckle or Hamilton was on Evans, but betting on young guy when you have a VERY injury prone QB like Collaros is asking for a 4-8 win season, despite the rest of the talent on the Bombers. Of course I'd have said the same of Calgary or Hamilton last year, however far more young QB's end like Alex Brink, Stefan LeFors, Robert Marve, Brian Brohm, Justin Goltz, Max Hall, Joey Elliot than successful replacements (and that was only listing Bombers prospects over the past 10 years nevermind rest of the league).

The big limitation with Nichols and Streveler last was that Bombers couldn't stretch the field at all. With Collaros they can. I'm interested to see what big target like Adams can do with someone who can stretch the field, or burners like Whitehead. The Bombers didn't have a receiver in the top 20 of receiving yards last year. If they have stronger arms like Collaros and Franklin/Maguire/Thompson in the fold they might be able to stretch the field which should change the field in a different way from last year, but still enough to make the offense variable enough to make what they want to do effective.

The key for the Bombers repeating will be whether they can refind the defense. They lost their 2 best secondary players who both played short side to the NFL (Rose and Sayles) and neither will be easy to replace. Willie Jefferson won a couple games all by himself and there's still no guarantee he's back north of the border or even if he is if he's back in blue and gold. Bighill has lost a step in the middle and it's only likely to get worse. They lost a potential ratio breaker at DE in Kongbo to the NFL. It's hard to say what the defense will look like. As much talk as the offense gets it was the defense that allowed just 39 points in 3 away games in the playoffs that really won the Grey Cup for them.

One thing I don't think gets talked enough about is that the Bombers seemed to embrace the Global player aspect better than anyone else in the league. Sure it was just one player last year, but it'll be two next year and seems to be continuing to be more important. Many teams just dressed an extra kicker/ST that never got any snaps all year. Bombers global DE/LB Thiadric Hansen started out playing ST right from the word go, and worked his way into an important role on the defense. For example on the last play of the west final where Fajardo hit the upright Hansen was on the field at DE to provide a pass rushing threat. He had a game in the later part of the season where he had 2 sacks (one called back by penalty not on him). It allowed the Bombers to free up an international spot elsewhere since they had a global and national at DE that were providing great snaps.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's certainly a concern no doubt. Unfortunately it's impossible to replace a skill set like Streveler. New plans need to be made. However I feel like the Bombers lost an aspect out of their offense with Collaros/Streveler combo compared to earlier in the year. In the Collaros/Streveler combo they made it 95% sure that when Streveler was in they were running somewhere and when Collaros was in they were passing somewhere. Earlier in the year with Nichols/Streveler they had more creativity, IMO. I have zero faith in Collaros playing more than 10 games, and I'm not sure when those 10 will be. They need someone better than a Jennings, IMO. They need to be all in on Franklin or preferably Nichols/Thompson as the backup. Someone who can actually play, because they might be needed for playoffs even. Apparently the Bombers are VERY high on 3rd stringer Sean Maguire like Calgary was on Arbuckle or Hamilton was on Evans, but betting on young guy when you have a VERY injury prone QB like Collaros is asking for a 4-8 win season, despite the rest of the talent on the Bombers. Of course I'd have said the same of Calgary or Hamilton last year, however far more young QB's end like Alex Brink, Stefan LeFors, Robert Marve, Brian Brohm, Justin Goltz, Max Hall, Joey Elliot than successful replacements (and that was only listing Bombers prospects over the past 10 years nevermind rest of the league).

The big limitation with Nichols and Streveler last was that Bombers couldn't stretch the field at all. With Collaros they can. I'm interested to see what big target like Adams can do with someone who can stretch the field, or burners like Whitehead. The Bombers didn't have a receiver in the top 20 of receiving yards last year. If they have stronger arms like Collaros and Franklin/Maguire/Thompson in the fold they might be able to stretch the field which should change the field in a different way from last year, but still enough to make the offense variable enough to make what they want to do effective.

The key for the Bombers repeating will be whether they can refind the defense. They lost their 2 best secondary players who both played short side to the NFL (Rose and Sayles) and neither will be easy to replace. Willie Jefferson won a couple games all by himself and there's still no guarantee he's back north of the border or even if he is if he's back in blue and gold. Bighill has lost a step in the middle and it's only likely to get worse. They lost a potential ratio breaker at DE in Kongbo to the NFL. It's hard to say what the defense will look like. As much talk as the offense gets it was the defense that allowed just 39 points in 3 away games in the playoffs that really won the Grey Cup for them.

One thing I don't think gets talked enough about is that the Bombers seemed to embrace the Global player aspect better than anyone else in the league. Sure it was just one player last year, but it'll be two next year and seems to be continuing to be more important. Many teams just dressed an extra kicker/ST that never got any snaps all year. Bombers global DE/LB Thiadric Hansen started out playing ST right from the word go, and worked his way into an important role on the defense. For example on the last play of the west final where Fajardo hit the upright Hansen was on the field at DE to provide a pass rushing threat. He had a game in the later part of the season where he had 2 sacks (one called back by penalty not on him). It allowed the Bombers to free up an international spot elsewhere since they had a global and national at DE that were providing great snaps.

Insightful post. Only thing I'd disagree with is Franklin's prospects as a potential backup. Toronto didn't exactly set him up for success the last two years, but he looked just plain bad out there in the vast majority of his appearances. He's a clipboard holder at this point IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So as Davis and Jefferson go off the market today there is very little left to be excited about tommorrow in FA.

From the top 30 FA list on cfl.ca, here's what's left.
5. WR Derel Walker (TOR)
7. DT Dylnn Wynn (HAM)
8. DL Micah Johnson (SSK)
13. DL Cleyon Laing* (TOR)
15. LT Derek Dennis (CGY)
18. MLB Solomon Eliminian (SSK)
19. LB Larry Dean (EDM)
21. LB/DB Don Unamba (EDM)
23. WR Davaris Daniels (EDM)
27. WR Juwan Brescacin* (CGY)
29. DB Ciante Evans (MTL)
30. RB CJ Gable (EDM)

Not alot left to be had. Should still be interesting, but not nearly as much as last year that's for sure.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
As a Cats fan, day 1 of free agency was pretty solid. They got Wynn done right before free agency opened. Great to see him back and paired with Big Ted Laurent in the trenches.

Sad to see Ryker Mathews go. He’s a stud and will protect Reilly’s blind side this year. Hopefully, the Cats will find a capable replacement, but those are big shoes to fill. Not sure how much they have left to spend, maybe they look at a guy like Derek Dennis?

Larry Dean is back after a 1-year stint in Edmonton. The teams essentially swap middle linebackers as Tuggle goes to the Eskies. Dean is getting up their in age, but he can still produce. Good in pass coverage, ok against the run. Nice to have him back as part of what should be a solid defense once again.

Richard Leonard heads to Cowtown. I thought he had a nice bounce back season after a subpar sophomore season. I just think he was outside of the Cats pay range. Best of luck to him. I’m thinking Quadarius Ford (Ex-Argo) signed today gets first crack to replace Leonard. Could be a nice under the radar pickup. I thought he was good a few years ago when the Argos won it all. 2018 he missed the entire year and cane back last season, Didn’t really pay much attention to the Argos as a whole as they were a dumpster fire.

Cats also brought back special teams ace Courtney Stephen who can play anywhere in the defensive backfield. Good sound Canadian depth signing. Glad he’s back after a year out west in Calgary.

Ex-Stampeder Don Jackson comes in at RB. Might have been the best American RB available on the board. Some bad injury luck has limited him, but I’m looking forward to see what he can do. IF he can stay healthy, I think he can be very productive in this offence.

Cats also lost depth guys in Coombs, McGough, Tracey and Shortill (who they replaced with Herdman-Reed).

Some good players still on the board. I’d like to see the Cats bring in another Canadian WR as Mike Jones was below average last season. He’s a FA and I doubt he comes back. Maybe the Cats address this at the draft.

Plenty of American receivers on the board. Cats could use one as well as Tasker is an FA. Not sure he’s back after an injury riddled, down season. DeVier Posey, Armanti Edwards, Domenic Rhymes and Naman Roosevelt are out there. All might be too pricey, we’ll find out soon enough. Cats also have some good in house options they can look to. IF Braylon Addison doesn’t make the Vikings, that could be another option, however that’s likely not until after Labour Day.

Cats need a K/P. I still think Liam H. comes back. Haven’t heard of him signing on anywhere in the NFL after asking for his release to go try his options state side.

Interested to see what the rest of free agency brings.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
As a Cats fan, day 1 of free agency was pretty solid. They got Wynn done right before free agency opened. Great to see him back and paired with Big Ted Laurent in the trenches.

Sad to see Ryker Mathews go. He’s a stud and will protect Reilly’s blind side this year. Hopefully, the Cats will find a capable replacement, but those are big shoes to fill. Not sure how much they have left to spend, maybe they look at a guy like Derek Dennis?

Larry Dean is back after a 1-year stint in Edmonton. The teams essentially swap middle linebackers as Tuggle goes to the Eskies. Dean is getting up their in age, but he can still produce. Good in pass coverage, ok against the run. Nice to have him back as part of what should be a solid defense once again.

Richard Leonard heads to Cowtown. I thought he had a nice bounce back season after a subpar sophomore season. I just think he was outside of the Cats pay range. Best of luck to him. I’m thinking Quadarius Ford (Ex-Argo) signed today gets first crack to replace Leonard. Could be a nice under the radar pickup. I thought he was good a few years ago when the Argos won it all. 2018 he missed the entire year and cane back last season, Didn’t really pay much attention to the Argos as a whole as they were a dumpster fire.

Cats also brought back special teams ace Courtney Stephen who can play anywhere in the defensive backfield. Good sound Canadian depth signing. Glad he’s back after a year out west in Calgary.

Ex-Stampeder Don Jackson comes in at RB. Might have been the best American RB available on the board. Some bad injury luck has limited him, but I’m looking forward to see what he can do. IF he can stay healthy, I think he can be very productive in this offence.

Cats also lost depth guys in Coombs, McGough, Tracey and Shortill (who they replaced with Herdman-Reed).

Some good players still on the board. I’d like to see the Cats bring in another Canadian WR as Mike Jones was below average last season. He’s a FA and I doubt he comes back. Maybe the Cats address this at the draft.

Plenty of American receivers on the board. Cats could use one as well as Tasker is an FA. Not sure he’s back after an injury riddled, down season. DeVier Posey, Armanti Edwards, Domenic Rhymes and Naman Roosevelt are out there. All might be too pricey, we’ll find out soon enough. Cats also have some good in house options they can look to. IF Braylon Addison doesn’t make the Vikings, that could be another option, however that’s likely not until after Labour Day.

Cats need a K/P. I still think Liam H. comes back. Haven’t heard of him signing on anywhere in the NFL after asking for his release to go try his options state side.

Interested to see what the rest of free agency brings.

I think Don Jackson is only brought in for depth, STE is still the starter. Other then that, we seem to have filled all the holes except for LT and maybe a couple more American and Canadian recievers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Argos sign some no name NFLer for 200K. Argos will always Argo. Pass on proven Derrel Walker for this guy. Glad Pinball hasn't made them any smarter.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Argos sign some no name NFLer for 200K. Argos will always Argo. Pass on proven Derrel Walker for this guy. Glad Pinball hasn't made them any smarter.

Supposedly paying $200K to Davaris Daniels as well. Seems like an enormous overpay. Receivers are a dime a dozen...or so I thought.

Hard not to be disappointed in Edmonton's last two days. Losing Josh Johnson and Tyquwan Glass from the secondary to replace them with Argos castoffs is a downgrade at a position that couldn't afford one. Don Unamba is a significant loss as well.

I do like the Burks signing. I don't think he got enough of a chance in Toronto and could be a solid player. Tuggle should be an upgrade on Dean, who really couldn't stop a nosebleed up the middle last year.

Overall though, BC got better and Calgary made some solid moves. Sask lost depth on the O-line, but it was a position of strength. Winnipeg has been hurt by departures but at least hung onto Jefferson. Edmonton better do some solid recruiting heading into camp or else it's going to be a real uphill battle.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Looks like Major League Baseball is not the only league contemplating playoff format changes:

CFL commissioner considers tinkering with league’s playoff format

I welcome this. Would keep the # of playoff teams at 6 and we'd probably get better Grey Cup matches as a result. Not sure I like the choose your opponent thing though.

Fully agree. Choosing your own opponent seems really hokey, hopefully that doesn't happen, but this is the exact playoff format that I've been suggesting for years. It pretty much eliminates the possibility of a sub-.500 team hosting a playoff game, which is a good thing.

Reactions: tony d

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Apparently the guy I was talking about here qualifies as a canadian which is why such a premium was placed on him. Still a big risk but more understandable. It's going through an appeals process since it violates max rookie salary for canadians.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Apparently the guy I was talking about here qualifies as a canadian which is why such a premium was placed on him. Still a big risk but more understandable. It's going through an appeals process since it violates max rookie salary for canadians.

Apparently the league wants to change the language in the CBA so he wouldn't count as a rookie. League as signed off but needs the PA to as well, which could be a tough sell.

Still don't see how this oversight was missed. No reason to stop the best Canadians from playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad