2024 Draft Thread

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not even sure if the draft is a place to get them at all. It's definitely a difficult player style to project. So many busts of this type. But then if you want to acquire established ones, you probably have to pay awkardly high trade or UFA-contract premiums to get the ones who do pan out. But I guess just picking bigger D who can skate, we can work with that. Emery sounds interesting in that category.
Most of the time in juniors they're bigger offensive defensemen, like Ekholm was. You need big bodies with mobility. You can teach the defensive positioning.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Nice to see Luchanko get some love. He's 12th on Button's Mock Draft Board.

I've actually done some more digging on Luchanko after the U18's and he's really the type of player I would go after with our pick.

He led his OHL team in scoring as a 17-year-old, with 74 points in 68 games. Late-birthday, too, which makes it all the more impressive as well.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Actually, here's my post-U18's top-32 ranking.

nhl draft ranking may 2024.png

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I’m sure if Calgary passes on Iginla they will earn the name Flames for all the people marching with torches in town.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I like Mews or Jiricek. Defense looks pretty thin outside Molendyk TBH and I could see Trotz going after a righty
I like Jiricek but don't think he's there at 22 anymore.

Mews I'm kinda on the fence on. I liked his puck game at the U18's but on the defensive side he looked lost even against much weaker competition. That doesn't bode well. Good skater, though, which makes everything that much easier.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ufko and Statsney are players.
Both are very smart dmen that make good passes and defensive decisions. Problem is gonna be when then get crushed but a jackass like Dakota Joshua or Zadorov that has about half a foot on them and 40 lbs. I think Jiricek would be a good add to the RHD group if available. Get someone in that 6'2" range with high upside. Mews im not as sold on but still not a bad choice.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Ufko and Statsney are players.
Stastney has proven he can play, but I don't think I'm really as high on him as others are. I imagine he tops out as a bottom pairing guy. Ufko has the technical skill to be an Ellis-lite but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a depth piece as well. Need more to stock the cupboards I think.

MDG probably about the same as Stastney. Livingstone won't ever be an NHL regular

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Stastney has proven he can play, but I don't think I'm really as high on him as others are. I imagine he tops out as a bottom pairing guy. Ufko has the technical skill to be an Ellis-lite but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a depth piece as well. Need more to stock the cupboards I think.

MDG probably about the same as Stastney. Livingstone won't ever be an NHL regular
I don't see MDG in the same class as Stastney, and I think he's far better skill wise than Carrier or Lauzon. He will be a legit middle pairing guy.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I sincerely hope that all of you remember the sizes of the defenses of Cup winning teams:

Vegas

6-2
6-1
6-3
6-4
6-2
6-6

Avs

6-1
5-11 (Makar)
6-3
6-1
6-1
6-4

Tampa

6-7
6-4
6-1
6-1
6-1
6-2

Tampa

6-7
6-4
6-1
6-2
6-1
6-0

St. Louis

6-4
6-3
6-5
6-6
6-2
6-0

Do I need to go further?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It feels like folks have been saying that for a decade. And it turns out it's not actually shifting at all. :dunno:
In terms of defense, I think this is the case. Don't have the data but feels like forwards' sizes have decreased at least a bit in the last few years. But as for defensemen, size is still king when it comes to winning it all.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I personally dont put a alot of emphasis on the difference between 5'10 and 6'1 but when you start getting towards the chaos giraffe and Zadorov territory of 6'8 and 6'6 and you have and adequate to good skating, physically imposing dman that makes a huge difference in clearing the crease, blocking shots, stick checks, etc. They typically can impose their will alot easier in snowplowing out the creae and making life a bit easier for the goalie. They still need to be good all around dmen and not just basketball players on skates but we could use a few of them

Reactions: Softball99

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Is the overall size of the defense important or that 4/5 of those teams were led by an elite shutdown defenseman (Hedman or Pietrangelo)? I'd for sure love to get a Hedman or Pietrangelo but the opportunities to get them don't come around often and generally involve a top five pick and some luck.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Makar is barely 6', Toews is 6'1", they're the leaders of that defense. Sure Manson has size but he's not the one carrying that team.

The best young defensemen now aren't 6'4" guys. They're Hughe's, Josi's, Makar's, Fox's, etc height. guys that can get the puck in and out of danger quickly.

Our 3 weakest defenders in playoffs were McDonagh, Schenn and Lauzon.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
2 of those are age, the other bottom pairing "identity" guy...The one thing you have to have is an imposing enough presence somewhere on the ice to hold opponent's accountable. maybe there's a reason besides luck we got injury free or really close on our stars is no one taking runs at them really

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Makar is barely 6', Toews is 6'1", they're the leaders of that defense. Sure Manson has size but he's not the one carrying that team.

The best young defensemen now aren't 6'4" guys. They're Hughe's, Josi's, Makar's, Fox's, etc height. guys that can get the puck in and out of danger quickly.

Our 3 weakest defenders in playoffs were McDonagh, Schenn and Lauzon.
Gotta have the mix of mid-sized PMD and big guys with some ability and we don't. That's what made Zadorov such a target ... it's what we valued in Ekholm. We lack size with talent at the NHL level. We have a one dimensional stocky pylon in Schenn (at 6'2), a guy with some size who only uses it to chase hits on the boards in Lauzon, and another average height but solidly built stay home defender in McDonagh (6'1). Two of the three are getting old. When it comes time to clog the ice in front of the net, we don't have the mass on either end to get it done. The end result is giving up far too many high danger opportunities.

ETA:
Even the Oilers are looking for long body blueliners. Cici 6'2, 210; Broberg at 6'4, 212; Bouchard at 6'3, 192; Desharnais at 6'7; Ekholm listed at 6'5; Nurse at 6'4 ..... with Bouchard and Broberg still relatively young.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad