CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL playoff scenarios are insane right now particularly in the west.

1. Calgary 12-4: 1st or 2nd
2. Saskatchewan 11-6: 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
3. Winnipeg 9-7: 3rd, 4th or 5th
4. BC 9-7: 2nd, 3rd or 4th
5. Edmonton 8-9: 3rd, 4th or 5th

BC is behind Winnipeg with even games, but can still host and has clinched.

So dumb the way they are working tiebreakers considering that the games played between the teams is not equal (Winnipeg played/plays Sask and Edm 3 times, BC just twice for example). What they should do is like I think it used to be. So for tiebreakers scenario's the earlier home game in the team that hosts twice is tossed out. So for Winnipeg Sask for example they played in Sask Sept 2, in Winnipeg Sept 8, and in Winnipeg Oct 13. That Sept 8 game should be thrown out for tiebreaker scenarios so the tiebreaker is decided with even home games. So then in the Winnipeg Edmonton tiebreaker you'd toss out the Winnipeg win in Edmonton last month so just count the game they were here early in the year and the last game of the year. Makes it even and fair for everyone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
It sucks. Makes me so mad and sad.

Happens to every team. Not talked about much but Winnipeg lost their #1 receiver and only deep threat in BOTH of the last two years for the year late in the season (Darvin Adams). Lost their best defensive player last year as well.

Hell go further back and Winnipeg should have a Grey Cup in 07. They nearly won with a guy making his first (and it ended up being his only) start in the CFL in the Grey Cup. Of course that's their own fault since they left their starting QB in the game up by 25pts in last 4 minutes of East Final.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Happens to every team. Not talked about much but Winnipeg lost their #1 receiver and only deep threat in BOTH of the last two years for the year late in the season (Darvin Adams). Lost their best defensive player last year as well.

It's true it does happen to everybody, it's just the nature of the sport. It's just so easy to turn your teams issues into a catastrophe ;)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Coming from someone who doesn’t like Hamilton, it seems to hit them the worst, IMO. Every season since 2015, at least. By the end of the season they’re swimming in injuries. Both in quality players and depth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Coming from someone who doesn’t like Hamilton, it seems to hit them the worst, IMO. Every season since 2015, at least. By the end of the season they’re swimming in injuries. Both in quality players and depth.

As a Bomber fan I can't agree that anyone has been hurt worse by injuries over the past 2 year or even expand it over the past 15. Albeit over the past like 10 of those times the Bombers just plain sucked, but everytime we get close we get key injuries at the exact wrong time. If were just talking past few years the Bombers have been devastated by their best WR and only deep threat going down in Adams, best defensive player in Leggatt last year, etc. However Banks is a HUGE loss this year. He is perhaps even more important that Adams for the Bombers. You as an Ottawa fan have been lucky but most team have 5-6 starters out by playoff time. Just a reality.

Banks hurts but as a small speedy WR in theory that should be the easiest position on the field to replace. Hamilton has not shown an ability to do that though.

It's never happened but it still does seem the East is an easier path. The injured Ti-Cats into the inconsistent Redblacks vs the elite defense horredous offense in Sask and then in Calgary.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
As a Bomber fan I can't agree that anyone has been hurt worse by injuries over the past 2 year or even expand it over the past 15. Albeit over the past like 10 of those times the Bombers just plain sucked, but everytime we get close we get key injuries at the exact wrong time. If were just talking past few years the Bombers have been devastated by their best WR and only deep threat going down in Adams, best defensive player in Leggatt last year, etc. However Banks is a HUGE loss this year. He is perhaps even more important that Adams for the Bombers. You as an Ottawa fan have been lucky but most team have 5-6 starters out by playoff time. Just a reality.

Banks hurts but as a small speedy WR in theory that should be the easiest position on the field to replace. Hamilton has not shown an ability to do that though.

It's never happened but it still does seem the East is an easier path. The injured Ti-Cats into the inconsistent Redblacks vs the elite defense horredous offense in Sask and then in Calgary.

Hey, as an Ottawa fan, I’ll agree with you. The team has been, generally, very lucky injury-wise. The most devasting losses have been when both Burris and Harris went down in our Grey Cup season, and both of Powell’s season ending injuries. The Williams injury also sucked but meh. Whether that’s a product of good scouting (picking up durable players) or just plain luck, I’ll take it and admit to it.

The East does seem like a good route to take this year. My Redblacks are as inconsistent as they come, I’m hoping the good Redblacks show up in the playoffs. If they do, they’re as good as anyone in the league. If they don’t, it’ll be a train wreck to watch.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Perhaps somebody remembers for sure, but without looking it up I'd reckon the Eskimos are the only team in modern CFL history to start a season 5-2 and be eliminated from the playoffs before they even played their 18th game. And in a Grey Cup hosting season to boot. Another proud moment for a Mickey Maas organization.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wonder if Winnipeg or BC rest starters next week in an effort to accidentally on purpose finish 4th? Not that winning in Ottawa will be an easy task, but a semi-final against the wounded Ti-Cats is surely a better situation than one in Regina or Calgary.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Wonder if Winnipeg or BC rest starters next week in an effort to accidentally on purpose finish 4th? Not that winning in Ottawa will be an easy task, but a semi-final against the wounded Ti-Cats is surely a better situation than one in Regina or Calgary.

Winnipeg has clinched 3rd. BC will play Hamilton.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Calgary is in a serious skid and I'm not too worried about a team that can't play offense. I think the west is perhaps easier. Honestly I wouldn't be a bit shocked by a wpg bc grey cup.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
a semi-final against the wounded Ti-Cats is surely a better situation than one in Regina or Calgary

As a Hamilton season ticket holder I am not excited for this game. Going to be a stressful game that will likely end in a loss and a couple days of me thinking about what the season could have been had our play makers stayed healthy.....Hopefully they prove me wrong and I get to watch another stressful game in Ottawa....

Reactions: sabremike

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
June over/under win totals for HAM, TOR and OTT were within a game of each other, so it's not like there was a clear favourite.

Ottawa was the only team that wasn’t predicted to win the Grey Cup at the start of the season. Even Montreal was.

Redblacks were written off before the season even started

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Calgary is in a serious skid and I'm not too worried about a team that can't play offense. I think the west is perhaps easier. Honestly I wouldn't be a bit shocked by a wpg bc grey cup.

I'd be pretty shocked if BC gets to the Grey Cup. They have regularly been blown out on the road throughout the season, and achieved their winning record through a series of wins at home that range from fortuitous (WPG, 1st EDM game) to downright miraculous (HAM). Their point differential is around -60 when you remove games against the Argos and Als. I've got nothing against them, but they're really not very good.

As a Hamilton season ticket holder I am not excited for this game. Going to be a stressful game that will likely end in a loss and a couple days of me thinking about what the season could have been had our play makers stayed healthy.....Hopefully they prove me wrong and I get to watch another stressful game in Ottawa....

You beat the Lions 40-10 at Tim Horton's Field a month ago. Losing Banks really sucks, and it's why I don't expect Hamilton to get past Ottawa in the East Final or win the Grey Cup if they surprise, but they should still be favoured over BC. If Winnipeg were the crossover team, then that would be cause for concern.

Sask-Ottawa is my Grey Cup prediction. The Stamps just really flamed out down the stretch after all those receivers got injured, and the Riders seem to have their number anyways. Winnipeg is peaking at the right time though, all depends on whether Nichols stays hot or reverts to mid-season form. It's too bad the flawed CFL playoff format will again handicap 3rd in the West while rewarding 2nd in the East despite the disparity of records. At least this year it is as bad as the two previous.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

One game could be a summer contest involving the Argos. Presumably a 'home' game.

Well that's kinda interesting. Would be interested to see how it would do. I know NFL has dissapointed about turnout in the past in Mexico. But NFL expectations are quite different. It'd be a cool thing, I think. I agree if there's 2 home games it's likely Toronto and Montreal/BC that will be using up one of their home games for this.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Does the CFL have any sort of following in Mexico? Like, at all? Serious question. The idea that 50,000 would turn out for a CFL game in Mexico City or wherever seems downright laughable to me.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad