CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Bombers aren't going anywhere with that defense. There is zero reason for that game to be as close as it had been.

Grats on Ward for his record though. Hell of a story going from security grunt for the stadium to setting a CFL record for kickers.

The Redblacks showed up for, what, 4 minutes?

I think the Bombers winning a playoff game this season is a long shot

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Bombers deserved that win despite the Ottawa comeback. Crushed Ottawa in TOP. Some bad decisions made by the Richie Hall with the defense. He needed to call more plays in which the likes of Santos-Knox and Bighill were dropped into coverage. It would have made it more unlikely that Harris marches his team down the field twice with less than 5 minutes left. Bombers have the makings of a great D but they will never reach their potential with Richie Hall calling the shots.

Game should have been over one play before the fumble. The Ottawa player was nowhere close to the first down marker on the third down play...probably over a yard away...yet the ref gave him a spot well beyond where the ball:help:. Fortunately, the more deserving team came out on top when Biggie caused the fumble.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Story of the year: Smallest player in the league, Lewis Ward, makes the Redblacks as a walk-on after being a security guard at TD Place last year. He just set the CFL record for consecutive field goals made.

And coincidentally enough, Justin Medlock has to sit there watching his own CFL record get broken

Medlock never had the record. Because his teams actually attempt fgs above 44 yards. Really that record should have a bit of an asterisk lol. But whatever good for him beating paredes.

Jeckle and hyde bombers continue. In sports offense and defense looks amazing. In others horrendous. There's not any separation between sask EDM ott wpg and maybe ham as well. Odd year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The Redblacks showed up for, what, 4 minutes?

I think the Bombers winning a playoff game this season is a long shot
Other side of the token would be that bombers completely dominated for 56 mins. I'd bank more on the team that won 56 mins winning more often in rematches than the team who played 4. I can't see how anyone could say with any certainty who is #2-6 teams in the league. It changes not only week to week but even quarter to quarter.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Looks like Winnipeg is successfully back from the dead. I give up trying to predict anything that happens in this league. Looks like Edmonton will have a what amounts to a one-game winner take all against BC for the crossover in a couple weeks.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Bombers deserved that win despite the Ottawa comeback. Crushed Ottawa in TOP. Some bad decisions made by the Richie Hall with the defense. He needed to call more plays in which the likes of Santos-Knox and Bighill were dropped into coverage. It would have made it more unlikely that Harris marches his team down the field twice with less than 5 minutes left. Bombers have the makings of a great D but they will never reach their potential with Richie Hall calling the shots.

Game should have been over one play before the fumble. The Ottawa player was nowhere close to the first down marker on the third down play...probably over a yard away...yet the ref gave him a spot well beyond where the ball:help:. Fortunately, the more deserving team came out on top when Biggie caused the fumble.

Ehhh, to each their own. I thought Sinnopoli was close and probably got the first down. On the other hand, Winnipeg got a very favourable spot in the first half. CFL refs suck.

Not a huge deal anyways as Redblacks clinch a home playoff game again. I’m hoping the Bombers end up as the odd man out as this point, tbh.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Ehhh, to each their own. I thought Sinnopoli was close and probably got the first down. On the other hand, Winnipeg got a very favourable spot in the first half. CFL refs suck.

Not a huge deal anyways as Redblacks clinch a home playoff game again. I’m hoping the Bombers end up as the odd man out as this point, tbh.

Haha watch again. He was nowhere close to the first down marker. They marked it where his body was, not the football.

Bombers dominated that game and only questionable defensive play-calling by Hall allowed Ottawa to come back in the final 4 minutes.

With a few more performances like he had in that Ottawa game, Andrew Harris could very well be in contention for MOP in the west.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Haha watch again. He was nowhere close to the first down marker. They marked it where his body was, not the football.

Bombers dominated that game and only questionable defensive play-calling by Hall allowed Ottawa to come back in the final 4 minutes.

With a few more performances like he had in that Ottawa game, Andrew Harris could very well be in contention for MOP in the west.

I think it says a lot about a team if they dominate in possession and play and the game still goes to overtime. If the Bombers made the playoffs, they’re an easy matchup.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I don't know how anyone but Bo can win MOP but I realize that sports find it boring to give it to the best player in the league especially when that guy is on the best team.

But he has lead his team to by far the best record, putting up great stats. Giving it to a guy on a .500 team would be crazy.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think it says a lot about a team if they dominate in possession and play and the game still goes to overtime. If the Bombers made the playoffs, they’re an easy matchup.

Lol. And who is a tough matchup? If the Bombers are an easy match the only tough one is Calgary. Not that the Bombers are better than Ottawa, Edmonton, Hamilton or Sask but they are all at the exact same level right now.

Dominating play and possession is more sustainable and consistent method for wins. I'll take that every time.

Bombers are nearly assured playoffs st this point. Since they hold the tiebreaker on BC needs to go 2-2 to get ahead of the bombers (if bombers lose out). With a ridiculous schedule bc has it's unlikely. One bombers win in final would force bc to go 3-1. Very unlikely.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Lol. And who is a tough matchup? If the Bombers are an easy match the only tough one is Calgary. Not that the Bombers are better than Ottawa, Edmonton, Hamilton or Sask but they are all at the exact same level right now.

Dominating play and possession is more sustainable and consistent method for wins. I'll take that every time.

Bombers are nearly assured playoffs st this point. Since they hold the tiebreaker on BC needs to go 2-2 to get ahead of the bombers (if bombers lose out). With a ridiculous schedule bc has it's unlikely. One bombers win in final would force bc to go 3-1. Very unlikely.

Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatchewan and Edmonton are all better teams than Winnipeg.

Hamilton might be as well, BC and Winnipeg are on the same level.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Calgary, Ottawa, Saskatchewan and Edmonton are all better teams than Winnipeg.

Hamilton might be as well, BC and Winnipeg are on the same level.

Right. Winnipeg just beat Edmonton for 60 mins, just beat down Ottawa for 56 and still won, destroyed bc for most of their two games, outplayed sask for most of their first two against them just bad turnovers cost them but but yeah wpg is somehow way worse. Lol sure. Wpg is exactly equal with sask ott edm for 2nd tier. Bc and ham are very very close behind.

Wpg still has a relatively good shot at hosting a playoff game. Probably for the best for your redblacks cause the way things are trending wpg is looking alot better than EDM last couple weeks. Edmonton has been in nose dive, bad oline np running game and poor defense is catching up to them.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Suggesting Edmonton is better than anybody right now, including the Argos and Als, might be a stretch. Disgraceful showing from Reilly and the offense again today. The defense with another great effort that is completely pissed away.

Said it way back in August that blowing what should have been an easy win in BC would come back to haunt them. Here we are. Amazingly this team, after starting 5-2 AND somehow winning the season series against both Calgary and Sask, finds themselves in what will essentially be a loser goes home game at BC Place in two weeks. Explaining quantum gravity would be an easier task than trying to explain how Jason Maas is still employed by a professional football club at this point.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Suggesting Edmonton is better than anybody right now, including the Argos and Als, might be a stretch. Disgraceful showing from Reilly and the offense again today. The defense with another great effort that is completely pissed away.

Said it way back in August that blowing what should have been an easy win in BC would come back to haunt them. Here we are. Amazingly this team, after starting 5-2 AND somehow winning the season series against both Calgary and Sask, finds themselves in what will essentially be a loser goes home game at BC Place in two weeks. Explaining quantum gravity would be an easier task than trying to explain how Jason Maas is still employed by a professional football club at this point.

There has to be a something wrong with Reilly. HAS TO BE. He struggled mightily against a Bomber defense that, while playing well recently, shouldn't be that difficult to score 20 points on. Buggered up shoulder or arm maybe?

I didn't even get a chance to watch that Eskies - Riders match today, but just looking at the game log made me frustrated. With a little over two minutes left and Edmonton up by 3, Reilly and the offense were in a second and long situation. With Saskatchewan's offense doing next to nothing the entire game, I would have thought the Esks would have been extra careful on that drive to not turn the ball over. If they had failed to convert enough first downs to get a field goal or run down the clock, so be it. Punt the ball and pin the Riders inside their 20 and make them drive the ball down the field to actually earn a field goal attempt.

Instead, Reilly gets picked off by Jefferson who runs it back for a TD and the Eskies lose the game. Nice pick I guess but Reilly needed to be more careful in that situation. As much as I don't want to give credit to the Riders, they do have a damn good defense - lots of playmakers.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
There has to be a something wrong with Reilly. HAS TO BE. He struggled mightily against a Bomber defense that, while playing well recently, shouldn't be that difficult to score 20 points on. Buggered up shoulder or arm maybe?

I didn't even get a chance to watch that Eskies - Riders match today, but just looking at the game log made me frustrated. With a little over two minutes left and Edmonton up by 3, Reilly and the offense were in a second and long situation. With Saskatchewan's offense doing next to nothing the entire game, I would have thought the Esks would have been extra careful on that drive to not turn the ball over. If they had failed to convert enough first downs to get a field goal or run down the clock, so be it. Punt the ball and pin the Riders inside their 20 and make them drive the ball down the field to actually earn a field goal attempt.

Instead, Reilly gets picked off by Jefferson who runs it back for a TD and the Eskies lose the game. Nice pick I guess but Reilly needed to be more careful in that situation. As much as I don't want to give credit to the Riders, they do have a damn good defense - lots of playmakers.

Consensus among Esks fans is that Reilly has been playing banged up for several weeks. The guy who has been absolute money in the 4th quarter for years has suddenly led the Eskimos to one 4th quarter TD in the last 8 games. That's like...almost impossibly bad.

What we saw late today was just more obscene game management from Maas. You're absolutely right, even a deep punt in that situation is fine. Riders offense had been just as bad as Edmonton's all day. A turnover was the only thing that could screw that up, and yet there we are passing on 2nd and 5 after Reilly had already thrown two terrible picks.

This was another game that really makes me question if Maas watches any game film of other teams. The glaring weakness of the Sask defense all year has been pass coverage from their linebackers. You can nickel-and-dime that defense with intermediate passing routes between the numbers. Attacking Gainey and Marshall down the rail with deep balls is stupid and leads to turnovers. Guess which strategy ole Jug Ears went for...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

They're at the least better than those two you mentioned. Toronto is one step away from being a total dumpster fire and Montreal is a dumpster fire already. Having a guy like Reilly automatically keeps the Eskies out of the absolute cellar of the league.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They're at the least better than those two you mentioned. Toronto is one step away from being a total dumpster fire and Montreal is a dumpster fire already. Having a guy like Reilly automatically keeps the Eskies out of the absolute cellar of the league.

Sure, they're "better" than them, but I honestly could see this team losing to either one of them if they were to play this weekend. This is the worst offensive stretch I have ever seen in 20+ years of following this club. The defense allowed 9 points, caused 2 turnovers, and there were no significant plays against them on special teams. It's almost impossible to lose under those circumstances in this league, but the offense managed to do so. It's too bad the Eskimos don't play the Als again...the CFL has been robbed of a chance to see the first ever 0-0 final score.

Just saw the Eskimos have opened as 3.5 point favorites against Ottawa on Saturday...good lord, are the bookies expecting the Eskimo defense to pitch a shutout?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Redblacks just stole Ackie from the Als. Canadian LB, 5th in DT, 2 interceptions and a forced fumble for a 2nd pick? Als must have known he didn't want to stay there

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Will be interesting to see James Franklin at the helm this weekend for the Argos. I remember him being rather panicked when under pressure, so hopefully the D-line can cause some damage.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Will be interesting to see James Franklin at the helm this weekend for the Argos. I remember him being rather panicked when under pressure, so hopefully the D-line can cause some damage.

Will be interesting to see if the Argos play calling changes. Franklin's first stint after Ray went down they seemed to play small ball, dink and dunk stuff. Tried to stretch the field (rather unsuccessfully) with MBT at the helm.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Can we say Collaros is the worst QB in the CFL at this point? I think I'd rather have Bethel-Thompson or Jennings than that clown.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lol so are bombers still behind Ottawa sask Edmonton bc? Bombers have as real chance as anyone outside of Calgary in playoffs. Sask has had a horseshoe stuck up their ass all year, hopefully bombers have now removed that and they can fall down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad