CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018
Does the CFL have any sort of following in Mexico? Like, at all? Serious question. The idea that 50,000 would turn out for a CFL game in Mexico City or wherever seems downright laughable to me.
The National Government has been making tremendous investments in Sports Tourism(F1,NBA,NFL) much like the city of London in the U.K.The promoters will make plenty of money(corruption). It's a win-win scenario for all parties involved.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
https://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-fire-head-coach-trestman-after-4-14-season-1.1203293

The Toronto Argonauts fired head coach Marc Trestman on Saturday following a rough 4-14 season.
The team will look for a new coach under the guidance of general manager Jim Popp who remains with the team

What a quick fall from grace. If I had to hazard a guess though might this be related to the new cap CFL wants to put on management? Gotta think was Trestman was the most expensive coach in the league (Sask might be overpaying badly for Chris Jones idk). It was a disastrous season, but still seem harsh for a guy with his track record.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Trestman gets the gas less than a year after a Grey Cup win. Somewhat surprising, but then again it's Jim Popp so maybe not really. Should hopefully ramp up pressure on the Eskimos to fire Maas.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Wonder what would happen if an NFL player had a cold one after a TD.

I died when I saw this.

Apparently the CFL won’t fine him (pretty surprising). NFL would have a heart attack.

Jon Gott is a really lovable guy, aside from all the high snaps lol

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So what's everyone's predictions? I have Bombers by 14 points over Sask, and Lions by 10 points over Hamilton. I think both road teams run roughsod over the home teams.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As a Hamilton season ticket holder I am not excited for this game. Going to be a stressful game that will likely end in a loss and a couple days of me thinking about what the season could have been had our play makers stayed healthy.....Hopefully they prove me wrong and I get to watch another stressful game in Ottawa....
Ric Flair is coming to the game, we got this! (No, I am NOT making that up. The team just tweeted out a video of him cutting a promo).

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ric Flair is coming to the game, we got this! (No, I am NOT making that up. The team just tweeted out a video of him cutting a promo).

Should be a fun one for sure! Unfortunately I'm leaving the hammer for the next month so I will be missing the playoffs and GC....Should be a fun couple of weeks though

Reactions: sabremike

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I have Hamilton over BC. Even without Banks, that's an easy call for me. Lions have been pounded on the road all season. One thing I didn't like from the Hamilton perspective though, is sitting Masoli last week. I'd have used that game to get things back on track and go into the playoffs with a win. Mind you, BC did play their starters and got hammered, which is all the more reason I don't think they win this weekend. Hamilton 27-16.

Sask over Winnipeg, but this could go either way. Until Matt Nichols doesn't crap all over himself in a playoff game, I'm going to assume he will. I think Saskatchewan's swarming defense and hostile environment will force some errors. The Riders offense is capable of being a complete dud, and I think that's the most likely scenario in which the Bombers would win. Sask 25-20 with a defensive TD.

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
I've got a bridge to sell them in that case if they expect 50k to show up in Mexico City.

Mexico City has a population of over 8 million. So even if only 1 percent was interested that's more than enough.

A junior football game between Mexico and Canada recently had 25k so I don't think its remotely out of the possibility that the CFL could garner a good crowd in Mexico City. The CFL, I assume, will be given a certain guarantee, meaning it will be up to the promoters to fill the event.

There could also be corruption involved if the Mexican government hands out money to attract international sporting events. The CFL is by no means the NFL, but it can be an exciting brand of football, more so than the NFL in my opinion.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I wish they would play the playoff games on Saturday instead of Sunday. it makes it such a chore to flip back and forth between CFL and NFL. You would think they might hit higher ratings among fair-weather CFL fans that prefer to watch NFL on the Sunday.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Saturday playoff games is something a lot of people have discussed before. I really can't think of a good reason not to play them on Saturday. I mean, that's typically when they play most of the games during the regular season anyway. Montreal is really the only city that regularly schedules home games for Sundays during the season. It just seems natural that you'd have more excitement and better attendance with a more festive (ok let's be honest....drunk) atmosphere if it was on Saturday afternoon.

Much like starting and ending the season earlier, this is something that will probably be poo-pooed by the old guard for no real reason besides "that's how we've always done it". I mean, they have got it half right. They are starting the season earlier now. But only to allow for a ridiculous 3 bye weeks, which absolutely nobody, be they fans, players, or coaches really wants. Ending the season two weeks sooner was supposed to be the whole point of starting earlier. Instead they've just created an annoyance.

Reactions: tacogeoff

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
found a stream from my hostile in Edinburgh. This is the first home playoff game i have missed for the Cats in my life. Feels weird being a pond away!

Reactions: sabremike

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Hamilton is stomping the Lions. I figured they would win, but a 21-0 blowout early into the second quarter is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad