CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Let's be fair, Edmonton also had two TDs ripped away from them. All told, another officiating/command centre debacle. To the surprise of absolutely nobody.

I saw one, I must have missed the other. But, to be clear, I wasn’t suggesting the refs favoured the Eskimos today. And you’re right, week after week the refs/command centre are a little too involved

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I saw one, I must have missed the other. But, to be clear, I wasn’t suggesting the refs favoured the Eskimos today. And you’re right, week after week the refs/command centre are a little too involved

Yup, a combined 5 TDs removed today by Andre Proulx or the command centre. Him and Al Fatbury's officiating crews will be the death of the CFL.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
A little late now, but my goodness what a heart wrenching way to lose for the Tictas.... Really needed that W, hoping Banks and Green are healthy sooner than later!

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Looks like ? officiating is an issue across football. Hoping the CFL will take some measures to correct it.

Fans have been hoping for this since time immemorial.

The refs in the CFL this year have just been following their script. Keep the standings tight, try not to let teams fall out of the race, and screw the visiting team if it's necessary to accomplish this.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Big weekend for some Hamilton redemption. Banks back in the lineup which should add some much needed speed to the offense to keep Defenses on their toes more. Looking forward to the game!

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I see that even the CFL simulator is smart enough to realize that 3rd in the West is once again a death sentence, while 4th provides at least a conceivably navigable path to the Grey Cup.

Wouldn't it be nice if Hamilton, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, BC, and Winnipeg were all locked into a battle for 2nd-7th? Surely wouldn't be decided until the final week of the year. Instead, Hamilton (6-7) is able to completely piss away a win in BC, but still rests easy knowing they'll host a home playoff game, and probably not even need another win all year to do so. Meanwhile Edmonton (7-6) could miss the playoffs outright with a loss on Saturday, but a win gives them a choke-hold on the dreaded 3rd place position.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I see that even the CFL simulator is smart enough to realize that 3rd in the West is once again a death sentence, while 4th provides at least a conceivably navigable path to the Grey Cup.

Wouldn't it be nice if Hamilton, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, BC, and Winnipeg were all locked into a battle for 2nd-7th? Surely wouldn't be decided until the final week of the year. Instead, Hamilton (6-7) is able to completely piss away a win in BC, but still rests easy knowing they'll host a home playoff game, and probably not even need another win all year to do so. Meanwhile Edmonton (7-6) could miss the playoffs outright with a loss on Saturday, but a win gives them a choke-hold on the dreaded 3rd place position.

Finishing 4th in the West is better than 2nd.

I guess they can't have a situation where a team "chooses" where it goes but if you gave me the option of going on the road against Hamilton and then on the road against Ottawa that is much easier than a home game against Sask/Edm and a road game against Calgary.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Finishing 4th in the West is better than 2nd.

I guess they can't have a situation where a team "chooses" where it goes but if you gave me the option of going on the road against Hamilton and then on the road against Ottawa that is much easier than a home game against Sask/Edm and a road game against Calgary.

Yup. Still a reasonable chance that the top 3 playoff teams in the league end up on one side of the bracket and the bottom 3 end up on the other. Again.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Eskimos will miss the playoffs in a Grey Cup hosting year. Again.

And that probably still won't get the thoroughly rotten management and coaching staff cleaned out. Mike Reilly probably has one foot out the door by now; he'd be a moron to re-sign here. The Alouettes might have a brighter future than Edmonton at this point.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Last night was one of the most complete games I have seen Hamilton play in a really long time! Everyone was amazing, the only issues the continuing injury plague and the fact that this team takes so many stupid penalties! Its going to come back to haunt us eventually.

Also nice to see White be so dominant on the run early. Made a real difference in allowing the team to mix it up and keep BC on their toes.

Going to be a fun ride to the end of the season.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

Doesn't really matter, because a crossover team has never made it to the Grey Cup. I guess it could happen, but it has never been done.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Doesn't really matter, because a crossover team has never made it to the Grey Cup. I guess it could happen, but it has never been done.

Sure it matters. The crossover team by definition is only the 4th-best team in the West. The last two years in a row the 1st-2nd-3rd place teams overall were on one side of the bracket, 4th-5th-6th were on the other. The playoff format is bullshit and constantly allows weak Eastern teams with losing records to host playoff games. At least this year Ottawa and Hamilton should have 9+ wins.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Story of the year: Smallest player in the league, Lewis Ward, makes the Redblacks as a walk-on after being a security guard at TD Place last year. He just set the CFL record for consecutive field goals made.

And coincidentally enough, Justin Medlock has to sit there watching his own CFL record get broken

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Cmon' Redblacks, you can't even beat the freaking Blue Bombers at home?

Losing to Calgary I'd understand. Same with Sask (even though we swept). Eskimos/Ti Cats, even. But Winnipeg/BC? :facepalm:

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
hey guys can I ask a slightly unrelated question? I have a Signed Damon Allen card that is like 1/50 or something like that. it was celebrating his record setting throwing yards i think. is it worth anything?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bombers aren't going anywhere with that defense. There is zero reason for that game to be as close as it had been.

Grats on Ward for his record though. Hell of a story going from security grunt for the stadium to setting a CFL record for kickers.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad