CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
LOL

This is one game and when the Esks needed that sustained drive in the 4th Reilly repeatedly missed passes including tossing one right into the Stamps defenders arms on the last play setting Calgary up for what should have been the game winning drive.

None of this strengthens your erroneous claims above. Reilly DID have lengthy drives including a 14 play drive. Reilly DID complete a significantly higher percentage of passes then Mitchell - 68% vs. 54%. He did this when it mattered...in the first 3 quarters of the game. All against the best defense too. With the Esks up by 20 he didn't need to do anymore.

If Mitchell had played up to Reilly's level, he would have had more than 230 yards passing and fewer than 3 INTS early in the fourth quarter, when the game was pretty well out of reach. He would have matched Reilly TD for TD, yard for yard, in the previous 3 quarters. He failed to do that and against a far inferior D to that of Calgary's.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
None of this strengthens your erroneous claims above. Reilly DID have lengthy drives including a 14 play drive. Reilly DID complete a significantly higher percentage of passes then Mitchell - 68% vs. 54%. He did this when it mattered...in the first 3 quarters of the game. All against the best defense too. With the Esks up by 20 he didn't need to do anymore.

If Mitchell had played up to Reilly's level, he would have had more than 230 yards passing and fewer than 3 INTS early in the fourth quarter, when the game was pretty well out of reach. He would have matched Reilly TD for TD, yard for yard, in the previous 3 quarters. He failed to do that and against a far inferior D to that of Calgary's.

Mitchell is playing on one leg against some horific hometown Esks reffing and was still much more impressive than Reilly.

And having a few drives in one game does not change the player that throw and pray Reilly is. This year I will give them credit as they seem (outside of Williams) to move away from the try and get PI calls that the Esks relied on so much with Mitchell and Bowman but Reilly still is all about huck it up and praying his guys can get then actually being able to read a defense and making tough throws.

I don't totally blame him he is smart for realizing he is too dumb to read a defense and that huck and praying is his only hope.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mitchell is playing on one leg against some horific hometown Esks reffing and was still much more impressive than Reilly.

And having a few drives in one game does not change the player that throw and pray Reilly is. This year I will give them credit as they seem (outside of Williams) to move away from the try and get PI calls that the Esks relied on so much with Mitchell and Bowman but Reilly still is all about huck it up and praying his guys can get then actually being able to read a defense and making tough throws.

I don't totally blame him he is smart for realizing he is too dumb to read a defense and that huck and praying is his only hope.

Literally what the **** are you on about? Bo threw three ugly INT's. How is that more impressive?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Nice win for the Esks, but they're still going nowhere with Maas as coach. Beyond insane that he calls a pass with 53 seconds left and no timeouts for Calgary. Peewee football coaching fundamentals are still beyond his grasp.

Even with their terrible offense, Sask's defense is such a threat to score that I still feel they are the second best team in the West. And given Calgary's propensity for choking, there's a good chance they'll walk into McMahon in November and hammer the Stamps. If Bovine can throw 3 picks against Edmonton's suspect defense, it will be a field day for that Rider secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Sasky is an interesting case. Their defense, as you said is rock solid. That offense though? Horrifyingly bad.

They did absolutely nothing against a bad Bombers defense. That defense is damn good but i don't think you can rely on them sustaining scoring so much on defense.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sasky is an interesting case. Their defense, as you said is rock solid. That offense though? Horrifyingly bad.

They did absolutely nothing against a bad Bombers defense. That defense is damn good but i don't think you can rely on them sustaining scoring so much on defense.

You wouldn't think so, but I saw the same thing here with the Chris Jones Eskimos in 2014 and 2015. A defense that has games where they outscore the offense as a matter of routine. The only difference is they have Collaros instead of Mike Reilly. Which will be their undoing should they fall short.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Chad Owens just signed to the Ticats practice roster. Have always loved watching him and thought he was a great option during his short stint in the Hammer. Not expecting much as he is 36, but hoping he can find some ways to contribute.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Always a nervous day when the Stamps come to town. I think this game is going to speak volumes into what this Hamilton team actually is. Been a couple good weeks in a row but now we need to come up big against the behemoth of the league.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Always a nervous day when the Stamps come to town. I think this game is going to speak volumes into what this Hamilton team actually is. Been a couple good weeks in a row but now we need to come up big against the behemoth of the league.

Agree, this is a real test for Hamilton. Calgary can't rest on their laurels with shaky (by their standards) play over the last few games. Beating up the Argos is one thing, Masoli needs to prove he can score against a real defense. Should be a good game in the Hammer.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bovine with a horrendous pick-6 before the 1st quarter has even expired. Picking up right where he left off.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is this the annual "Calgary forgets how to play football for a month but is still light years ahead of the league" time of year?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is this the annual "Calgary forgets how to play football for a month but is still light years ahead of the league" time of year?

No, that's November.

In fairness to Calgary, Cionte Evans is a big loss in the secondary. Every team has injuries to deal with, but him, Micah Johnson, Don Jackson, Kamar Jordan all going down at the same time hurts.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just got back from the Hammer. It was a really frustrating night overall, the Defense started by playing amazing with the 2 TDs. Masoli is further proving himself to be a streaky QB, although a lot of his throws today were forced due to a lack of time in the pocket, so cannot fully fault him the O-line needs to be better. Special Teams were down right terrible in essentially every aspect of the game outside of the Kick Return TD. Also the play calls were lack luster; down 2 major scores at first and goal and we opt for 2 rushes and to not go for it and take the 3 points.

I feel bad for Masoli as his options were more limited than usual. With both Banks and Suanders out of the lineup there is not any speedy deep options. The Stamps did a great job of clogging up the middle and making it hard for Masoli to throw sharp short passes.

On to the next one.....

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Please tell me everybody saw Ottawa just get an unnecessary roughness call for intentionally avoiding hitting Collaros :lol:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Even extra help from the officials couldn't help that pathetic Rider offense. I'd probably think about going back to Bridge, Collaros is awful. Injuries have pretty much ended his ability to be better than a stop-gap QB.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Yes, that Riders - Riders game was closer than it should have been with at least one terrible call on the Riders final scoring drive. Fortunately, the Riders defense overcame this to win the game and deservedly so. The Riders' net yards were twice that of the Riders.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Even extra help from the officials couldn't help that pathetic Rider offense. I'd probably think about going back to Bridge, Collaros is awful. Injuries have pretty much ended his ability to be better than a stop-gap QB.

Collaros is really, really bad. There was at least twice he had an open receiver downfield and just missed them. They also couldn't get any offence going.

The final drive did seem like a desperate attempt to get the Riders back into the game. There was one brutal call, and a ton of borderline calls that you don't see called a lot of times.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The case of Collaros is unfortunate. He looked like he was going to be amazing when he first came to Hamilton. I miss those days.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Not really a fan of any team as I gave up on the CFL a few years ago but bad reffing is bad reffing no matter who is playing.

Also always disgusting to see a team like the Eskimos get handed things by the refs.
But yet you are on here with many comments about your clear hate for Edmonton and love for Calgary. If you truly gave up on the CFL then please refrain from commenting.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
But yet you are on here with many comments about your clear hate for Edmonton and love for Calgary. If you truly gave up on the CFL then please refrain from commenting.

I explained that I was watching the game with my father in law. I didn't see the forum rules dictating how much of fan you have to be to comment on games.

Also, no matter whether I am a fan or not my hatred for Edmonton will not go away.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Unamba fined for headbutting Langlias.

Green out and banks questionable for the game this weekend. Unfortunate news fro the Cats across the board.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Eskimos couldn’t even with with three Ottawa touchdowns being negated because of penalties (all resulted in field goals). Yikes.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Eskimos couldn’t even with with three Ottawa touchdowns being negated because of penalties (all resulted in field goals). Yikes.

Let's be fair, Edmonton also had two TDs ripped away from them. All told, another officiating/command centre debacle. To the surprise of absolutely nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad