The CBJ Trade Deadline Voting Thread

Which of the follow 4 CBJ trade scenarios will occur?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Kai Suikkanen last season took over of HC Bolzano when they were last in the multinational EBEL league and far out of the play-off picture after couple months of play. They managed to make the play-offs. In game seven against grand club Red Bull Salzburg they won the EBEL league.

Kaitsu Suikkanen himself had failed in his previous job at Oulun Kärpät which was to restore the success of Late Marjamäki period, unlike his golden successor Mikko Manner, and was sacked. There is also power in change.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
One of Arace's main points is that Panarin hides behind his language barrier and he needs to man up and tell the Jackets that he doesn't want to sign with them instead of this game of
I will not negotiate during the season. Oh wait I will get back to you during the break. Then to come out with "I would like to say that I have nothing to say."

I do agree that he doesn't owe the Jackets a contract but I also don't like the way he is dragging this out.
I am not sure how much more clear Panarin can be. He will be a free agent and make his decision based on what's out there for him. What else can he possibly say?

Reactions: Madifer

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am not sure how much more clear Panarin can be. He will be a free agent and make his decision based on what's out there for him. What else can he possibly say?

Wanna post that clear quote from Panarin here?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Wanna post that clear quote from Panarin here?
I am really confused by you guys. His agent stated that Panarin will not be negotiation a contract. This is how business is done in the NHL. Through agents. What exactly do you want Panarin to say? Call a press conference in the middle of the season and announce he will not be resigning with Columbus? I guess he should have done it the Tavares way. You'd appreciate it more.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I am really confused by you guys. His agent stated that Panarin will not be negotiation a contract. This is how business is done in the NHL. Through agents. What exactly do you want Panarin to say? Call a press conference in the middle of the season and announce he will not be resigning with Columbus? I guess he should have done it the Tavares way. You'd appreciate it more.

Hey Mr Millstein! Thanks for joining our conversation.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

So in other words it's not that clear, and you're reading between the lines just like everyone else here. We get it.

You really think you're shedding some new light on the situation?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Actually, what he said was that he was not going to negotiate a contract during the season. Any other interpretation is just that -- an interpretation and therefore NOT CLEAR.

If his agent had said "Artemi Panarin will not sign with Columbus" then it becomes more clear.

Doesn't change the situation much though. The rest of this season matters just as much if not more than future seasons.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
If his agent had said "Artemi Panarin will not sign with Columbus" then it becomes more clear.
It would take away any leverage the organization has in a possible trade. The entire league would know for sure that Columbus has two choices: to trade AP for something, or see him walk. At least with some degree of uncertainty your GM can say "thanks for your crappy offer, we'll take our chances with AP resigning unless you give us something better." We don't know what was said privately between the player / agent and the club. But you do not want any public proclamations. Panarin stating he's 100% leaving is the worst thing that can happen to the Jackets trade leverage. Everyone can read between the lines, but an official statement would make things worse, not better.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It would take away any leverage the organization has in a possible trade. The entire league would know for sure that Columbus has two choices: to trade AP for something, or see him walk. At least with some degree of uncertainty your GM can say "thanks for your crappy offer, we'll take our chances with AP resigning unless you give us something better." We don't know what was said privately between the player / agent and the club. But you do not want any public proclamations. Panarin stating he's 100% leaving is the worst thing that can happen to the Jackets trade leverage. Everyone can read between the lines, but an official statement would make things worse, not better.

First you said he couldn't be more clear, now you outline exactly how he could be more clear and helpfully explained what the consequences might be of the situation being more clear. Thanks.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
First you said he couldn't be more clear, now you outline exactly how he could be more clear and helpfully explained what the consequences might be of the situation being more clear. Thanks.
It couldn't be more clear as far as Columbus management is concerned. The type of clarity some posters want would be detrimental to the team. What part of it is confusing?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It couldn't be more clear as far as Columbus management is concerned. The type of clarity some posters want would be detrimental to the team. What part of it is confusing?

So it's clear to you, me, Columbus management, CBJ players, everyone else on HFBoards, and presumably every GM in the league, but a clear comment from Panarin would negatively impact the team? You see how your point is confusing? You should probably check out the Panarin thread for more info on this subject.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So it's clear to you, me, Columbus management, CBJ players, everyone else on HFBoards, and presumably every GM in the league, but a clear comment from Panarin would negatively impact the team? You see how your point is confusing? You should probably check out the Panarin thread for more info on this subject.

A clear comment the likes of which Arace asks for, yes.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
An official statement would remove whatever leverage your team has in trade negotiations. Until Panarin releases a statement that he's definitely out of Columbus, the possibility of resigning remains as far as the rest of the NHL teams are concerned. This is a really sticky situation. If Panarin did a Tavares, his trade value (right now) would be much higher. But why would the organization want to trade him, if he led them to believe he'd be re-signing? I live in NY, and I assure you that as much as this hurts - it is better than what the Islanders went through with JT. As far as Panarin officially speaking on the matter, I would guess the organization asked him not too. He's a big boy and can live with boos.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I'm not really sure what started this whole rabbit hole, but it seems rather clear. There will be no negotiation with the Jackets or anyone else until the off season and Panarin wants to look at his options. He's not sure if he wants to commit to Columbus, long term. Panarin has been happy with his treatment.

What isn't all that clear is how seriously Panarin is taking negotiating with the Jackets, Does he really has an intention of staying,. In other words how far down on his list are the Jackets on destination. Top 5? Bottom 5?

Reactions: cslebn

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm not really sure what started this whole rabbit hole,

A poster mentioned that Arace said Panarin should tell the Jackets he doesn't want to sign with them.
Absolut's point, with which I agree, is that this would remove any leverage the Jackets have in trading him by eliminating the idea that he might re-sign with the CBJ so you better go get him now rather than wait until UFA.

Also, what if it's not true that he won't re-sign in Columbus?

Also, while it might make Arace and others feel better, Panarin doesn't owe the Jackets a statement of that nature even if it is true.

Also, how do we know he hasn't and the FO and agent are just keeping it to themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
A poster mentioned that Arace said Panarin should tell the Jackets he doesn't want to sign with them.
Absolut's point, with which I agree, is that this would remove any leverage the Jackets have in trading him by eliminating the idea that he might re-sign with the CBJ so you better go get him now rather than wait until UFA.

Also, while it might make Arace and others feel better, Panarin doesn't owe the Jackets a statement of that nature even if it is true.

Also, how do we know he hasn't and the FO and agent are just keeping it to themselves.

I was pointing out the rather silly disconnect between "Panarin can't be more clear" and "Panarin could be more clear but you don't want him to be." If he can't be more clear, a statement isn't going to change anything if it's already so obvious to everyone. I must be hung up on semantics.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was pointing out the rather silly disconnect between "Panarin can't be more clear" and "Panarin could be more clear but you don't want him to be." If he can't be more clear, a statement isn't going to change anything if it's already so obvious to everyone. I must be hung up on semantics.

Like, the difference between clear meaning "tell what you know" versus clear being "tell things you might not know yet but we want you to tell us anyway so it will be more clear"? Like that?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Arace is far worse than AP ever was. He's awful. You've summed things up. The way you phrased that suggests that he things Panarin has already made up his mind. The FO, if they were smart, wouldn't tell anyone in the event that Panarin's AGENT told that to the Jackets anyway. Leave it as speculation.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Exactly like that, thank you for clarifying!
Lol. It's tough man, I think we all get it.

I think the situation with Panarin is this. He wants to see what he can get in his preferred markets (NYR, NYI, Chicago, etc) and whether it's acceptable. He'll take less to go back to Chicago but how much less? Is he taking $8mm/6 years in Chicago vs. $11.5 mm / 7 years in Columbus? Is Columbus on his list at all? What if Columbus gives him $12 mm / 7 years? There are a lot of variables. He doesn't know because he can't negotiate.

I can't blame him for doing what's best for him. NHL teams didn't think he was good enough to get drafted. Now he is a a UFA in his absolute prime. Every NHL team would love to have him. I just hope he signs with my Rangers. It sucks for Columbus big time, but it is what it is.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Lol. It's tough man, I think we all get it.

I think the situation with Panarin is this. He wants to see what he can get in his preferred markets (NYR, NYI, Chicago, etc) and whether it's acceptable. He'll take less to go back to Chicago but how much less? Is he taking $8mm/6 years in Chicago vs. $11.5 mm / 7 years in Columbus? Is Columbus on his list at all? What if Columbus gives him $12 mm / 7 years? There are a lot of variables. He doesn't know because he can't negotiate.

I can't blame him for doing what's best for him. NHL teams didn't think he was good enough to get drafted. Now he is a a UFA in his absolute prime. Every NHL team would love to have him. I just hope he signs with my Rangers. It sucks for Columbus big time, but it is what it is.
The rich get richer and poor get poorer. When can it be Columbus's time to shine?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“My needle on Stone and Duchene is that they’re not going to sign in Ottawa and they’re going to be traded,” indicated McKenzie. “Now, I guess they could. And I’m sure Ottawa will continue here in the next number of days to try and take a run at that, but I don’t know.

“I think by the time Monday rolls around - two weeks out from the trade deadline - we’re going to have some clarity on the guys in Ottawa.”

McKenzie then went on to describe the potential relation between the team’s UFA situation and the timing of Eugene Melnyk’s cap-related comments from this week.
Stone is on a one-year, $7.35 million contract, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.

Duchene is finishing up a five-year, $30 million pact, and can also become a UFA July 1.

It’s also worth noting that in the same episode of the Bobcast, McKenzie said, “There’s no doubt in my mind that Stone’s going to get $9 million-plus in the open market. I think a guy like Duchene would get $8 million-plus on the open market.”

McKenzie: Clarity coming soon on Stone, Duchene

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Here's the thing that still puzzles me.

Throwing it wayy back to the summer, I remember reading that Panarin and his agent were excited to be here and it seemed like a near certainty he was going to re-sign.

For example here is a quote from June 7th, 2018.

As of Wednesday, the Blue Jackets have not had any talks with agent Daniel Milstein regarding client Artemi Panarin. Don’t be alarmed by this. Blue Jackets assistant GM Bill Zito, a former agent who handles the club’s contract negotiations, was gone for most of May at the IIHF World Championships. He was Team USA’s GM. Panarin went away to his favorite resort and cast aside his cellphone for a couple of weeks. Panarin is signed through the 2018-19 season. The Blue Jackets won’t want to delay a deal too long for obvious reasons, but they don’t have to have something done July 1, either.

“I talk to Columbus all the time,” Milstein told The Athletic. “But we haven’t talked about a contract yet. I congratulated Billy for doing well at the Worlds. Hey, look, they want Panarin. The feeling is mutual.”

Free-agent update: Ian Cole not sold on testing market if...

I believe it was less than 2 weeks later it comes out that he won't negotiate with us.

I know Milstein was just talking here, and not guaranteeing anything. But the decision that Panarin didn't want to negotiate couldn't have come as a major surprise to him right? They constantly communicate and I doubt Panarin would keep a decision that big to himself, or make that decision by himself. I am confused on how this went from a seemingly seamless contract negotiation one week, to a dead issue the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad