The CBJ Trade Deadline Voting Thread

Which of the follow 4 CBJ trade scenarios will occur?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
According to Rimer tonight , Bob is Gonzo . Said a deal with Philly was 99% done and fell thru with Panarin . I expect both to be traded

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't think either will stay.

At heart, Jarmo is a draft guy. The idea of having 2 or 3 more first round picks in the near future is something he has to find very appealing.

Bob has been south of useless for a while. He's unhappy and isn't going to be back. Holding on to him makes zero sense. Maybe someone will part with a first with the hope that Bob can turn it around with a change of scenery and help them in the playoffs. He's not currently helping the CBJ and his playoff record speaks for itself. Even his most ardent playoff apologists can't be very optimistic that this is the year Bob turns the corner in the post season. Can they? He might not even get a first rounder, but c'est la vie.

While the return of Muzzin wasn't much -a late first rounder and two "b" prospects from what I've read-despite him having a full year left on his contact after this year, Panarin is the game changer who someone will pay a nice price for I would think.

Jarmo played the waiting game and lost with both. He still can mitigate his losses. I'd be surprised if he didn't. He surely can't believe that this team is sitting on a Cup win. If he rides the two out to free agency and the CBJ don't win a playoff round (or worse don't get in) he's going to look very, very bad. I don't think that he risks getting nothing for a possible singular playoff round victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
According to Rimer tonight , Bob is Gonzo . Said a deal with Philly was 99% done and fell thru with Panarin . I expect both to be traded

Wait I'm confused. Bob was off to Philly with Panarin or is the Philly thing exclusively with Panarin?

Reactions: EspenK

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Once again I ask: what does going all in entail? I can never get a straight answer on this.

What is the goal? To win a series? At what cost?

I'd say going all in = acquiring at the deadline if you can.

The goal being to win the SC. Making some noise would be nice. The cost is the risk of losing Panarin for nothing after the fact.

Most people are talking in absolute (oh he GONE) terms without talking about what the hypothetical return might actually be for Panarin. It's really easy for me to jump on the "trade Panarin" bandwagon if I think the return is very good - I don't. It mostly feels like folks on the "trade" bandwagon think Panarin will return more than the folks on the "don't trade him" bandwagon.

I'm glad Jarmo has set a price. Hope he sticks to his guns.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Trade both. This team can't beat TB, Leafs, Caps, Pens, maybe Bruins in a series. If they've shown this season the ability to hang with these teams then sure, keep them and load up and go for broke, but they haven't, at all. But the team isn't there, not even close. Trade these two for whatever, play the rest of season, if we make the playoffs it'll be a quick out, sign some UFAs that aren't trash like Nash, and maybe Bemstrom or Gavrikov can come in next season and be a cost controlled impact player

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Here's the thing Panarin doesn't owe the Jackets anything. We didn't draft him or give him a contract. We traded for him knowing he could be a free agent in 2 years.

Now would it be nice if he would provide a list of teams he would consider signing with - yes.

But honestly I'm not sure if he knows. He wants to be a free agent. He's earned that right.

It's also his agents job to be the bad guy. I mean Panarin has been under the microscope for a while with every comment he makes, who he associates with, etc. His agent finally had to put a muzzle on him which I'm sure Panarin doesn't like.

But Arace is making the CBJ out to be the victims. We knew the risk of trading for a guy that could be a free agent. We got the better end of the deal for 2 years, he's been exactly what the team needed a legit top line forward.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Here's the thing Panarin doesn't owe the Jackets anything. We didn't draft him or give him a contract. We traded for him knowing he could be a free agent in 2 years.

Now would it be nice if he would provide a list of teams he would consider signing with - yes.

But honestly I'm not sure if he knows. He wants to be a free agent. He's earned that right.

It's also his agents job to be the bad guy. I mean Panarin has been under the microscope for a while with every comment he makes, who he associates with, etc. His agent finally had to put a muzzle on him which I'm sure Panarin doesn't like.

But Arace is making the CBJ out to be the victims. We knew the risk of trading for a guy that could be a free agent. We got the better end of the deal for 2 years, he's been exactly what the team needed a legit top line forward.

It's really difficult to argue any of this.

I fit into this category. I'm one of the top producing salesmen in my company, and in a very small market to boot. I've personally produced around 30% of all of the sales for my entire region, which stretches across 40 locations in 4 states. I'm universally loved and appreciated by everyone in the company, all the way up to our VP.

And we are currently considering a move across the country, to work for a sister company. They aren't asking us to do it and are fighting to keep us... but our draw is better education, more opportunities for our kids.

I don't hate Spokane. I don't hate my job, in face quite the opposite. We may never know what Artemi is really thinking, and in the end his decision is just that. Maybe the beach is that important to him.

Different scales certainly, but it's hard to hate the guy. He hasn't given up on the team, and to me that screams louder than anything that is said in the media or beyond.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

One of Arace's main points is that Panarin hides behind his language barrier and he needs to man up and tell the Jackets that he doesn't want to sign with them instead of this game of
I will not negotiate during the season. Oh wait I will get back to you during the break. Then to come out with "I would like to say that I have nothing to say."

I do agree that he doesn't owe the Jackets a contract but I also don't like the way he is dragging this out.

Reactions: thebus88

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
It's really difficult to argue any of this.

I fit into this category. I'm one of the top producing salesmen in my company, and in a very small market to boot. I've personally produced around 30% of all of the sales for my entire region, which stretches across 40 locations in 4 states. I'm universally loved and appreciated by everyone in the company, all the way up to our VP.

And we are currently considering a move across the country, to work for a sister company. They aren't asking us to do it and are fighting to keep us... but our draw is better education, more opportunities for our kids.

I don't hate Spokane. I don't hate my job, in face quite the opposite. We may never know what Artemi is really thinking, and in the end his decision is just that. Maybe the beach is that important to him.

Different scales certainly, but it's hard to hate the guy. He hasn't given up on the team, and to me that screams louder than anything that is said in the media or beyond.

TRAITOR!!! BOOOOO!!

Seriously good luck with that. Moving is a pain.

Reactions: Sore Loser

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Sorry, as an NHL player, I still have no use WHATSOEVER for the "geographical", "some guys just want to live somewhere else" argument. Artemi has no kids, so schools aren't a concern for the foreseeable future (plus, Dublin/Upper Arlington/Bexley are some of the best schools in the country). It's a totally different situation from the posters on this board who aren't millionaires, so please save the "I decided to move away from Columbus too!!" posts ad nauseum.

If you make nearly $100 million over the course of the contract, you can live anywhere in the entire world, from about late April/May to early September. The beach, the tropics, the nightlife, the top of the Empire State Building, wherever the f*** you want. Your spouse too, can live wherever. Lots of sports wives don't even live in the same city as the player. During the season, you are on the road for 41 games out of the year, plus All-Star break, NHLPA mandated bye week, you can vacation wherever the hell you want. You probably spend a grand total of about 4 months in the city you play in, where you do day to day activities/sleep/etc.

If you can't stand that amount of time, with $100 million in bills to rest your head on, in said city, playing for a playoff team who is one of the youngest in the league, and you like your teammates and your stats are great, then that to me is a complete slap in the face and I say please get the f*** out as soon as possible.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If Panarin doesn't owe anything else to the CBJ, than what does the team owe to Panarin??

Chicago KNEW he was leaving, that's why they traded him, even ONLY for Saad.

He's going somewhere different and Columbus isn't the place. He HAS NOT come out and said THAT.

In that radio link with Rimer, he makes a few comments about CHI, "control" of him, and that he wasn't happy that they had "control" of him and that now HE wants to be in control. (EDIT: "Big Rebound Bob", haha, I like this guy.)

I hate to put it this way, and he probably has enjoyed himself in Columbus more than he thought he would, but he's not/wasn't mad that CHI had "control" of him or traded him, its that he got traded to Columbus.

I've gone back and forth, since the summer, on what I wanted AND thought was gonna happen with both guys. Now, I still don't KNOW, but I'm now pretty strongly in the "trade them" camp.

3 "1st rounder" level assets for the 2.

"Flip" them or not, don't care.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I voted that both will be traded. From an asset management standpoint, I think Jarmo will best protect the franchise by utilizing the assets he has to build for the future.

After they are traded, I can see a "now let's show them what they missed" or "everybody expects us to fold" closing of the ranks by Coach Tortorella.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I voted that both will be traded. From an asset management standpoint, I think Jarmo will best protect the franchise by utilizing the assets he has to build for the future.

After they are traded, I can see a "now let's show them what they missed" or "everybody expects us to fold" closing of the ranks by Coach Tortorella.

I like the way you think old man.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think we're going to end up with a bunch of lowball nothing offers and no trades will happen. Because that's how GMs operate in this league.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
He might not owe the team anything, but they helped him prove he wasn't just Kane's sidekick, that he's an elite player in his own right and increasing his future earnings.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I think we're going to end up with a bunch of lowball nothing offers and no trades will happen. Because that's how GMs operate in this league.

I think some of the lowball offers on the trade board would make NHL GMs blush

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I moved some posts from here to the "Trade Ideas" thread. I know our vote in this thread overlaps with the broader trade discussion, but I'd prefer to keep this thread very narrowly drawn to the OP and the vote. We'll keep the other Trade thread active until it's full up then we'll start an official Trade Deadline thread.

Thanks, all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad