The Captain is BACK!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lmao...What did you do JD?

I think he blames me for starting the title wave of people responding to his Seth Jones hype-posts with screenshots of Jones’ advanced stats cards, lol

Reactions: G0AT

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If Toews plays the entire season, what is your expectation of him?

Mine is 45-55 pts and anything more is gravy.

I also don't think he'll embarrass himself out there. If he's hurting the team he'll walk away.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
If Toews plays the entire season, what is your expectation of him?

Mine is 45-55 pts and anything more is gravy.

I also don't think he'll embarrass himself out there. If he's hurting the team he'll walk away.
That would be in the range of what I was thinking.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Im happy he looks healthy, but the last he beefed up to Thor proportions, it hurt his speed. His offensive bounce-back (albeit at the cost of defensive impact) directly coincided with him putting a concerted effort into leaning down.

Hopefully he’s found a good balance.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Really hoping it was indeed a 'indirect rest year' after all.

No question he needed it with all the milage. But it could pay huge dividends for the last part of his career.

Super excited to have him back out there soon. It's been way too long. I want his intensity back.
It also has to spell the end of Strome, there’s literally no place for him.

He won’t get power play time, he doesn’t penalty kill, he can’t be a matchup guy, he is at the very best the 3C. The writing is on the wall. Give the guy a chance somewhere else and ship him out.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
It also has to spell the end of Strome, there’s literally no place for him.

He won’t get power play time, he doesn’t penalty kill, he can’t be a matchup guy, he is at the very best the 3C. The writing is on the wall. Give the guy a chance somewhere else and ship him out.

Yeah and with Johnson, Borgstrom, Kurashev and now Reichel we have way too many options for the third line spot too. Fourth even, to roll the lines.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I believe I’vr heard a lot of players talk about how putting on more mass in the offseason helps bc during the season they’re burning so much its easy to lose a lot of that mass over the grind of a season and very hard to maintain. Wonder if this is what the captain is aiming for

Reactions: bwana63

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
There are a bunch of questions that need to be answered in the Hawks favor for them to be successful this season and none bigger than Toews' ability to play at a consistent high level. If he is able to do that - then the other questions and answers become relevant. If Toews is unable to be the player he was - then this will be another rebuild growth year with the hope of young players improving but little hope to make the playoffs in the tough Central Division.

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
There are a bunch of questions that need to be answered in the Hawks favor for them to be successful this season and none bigger than Toews' ability to play at a consistent high level. If he is able to do that - then the other questions and answers become relevant. If Toews is unable to be the player he was - then this will be another rebuild growth year with the hope of young players improving but little hope to make the playoffs in the tough Central Division.

Yep. Out of the remaining myriad questions, I see the next two most important being:

- how well is S. Jones going to play?
- how far is Dach going to advance his game?

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Personally, I'd like to see Toews on a line with at least one guy who will do more of the heavy lifting instead of he always being that guy. I'd like to see the 32-year-old centerman reinvent his game somewhat and return to being more of an offensive threat and less of a grinder.
On another note, an interesting parallel is illustrated in the article below:
What Brian Urlacher’s past may tell us about Jonathan Toews’ future

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Personally, I'd like to see Toews on a line with at least one guy who will do more of the heavy lifting instead of he always being that guy. I'd like to see the 32-year-old centerman reinvent his game somewhat and return to being more of an offensive threat and less of a grinder.

A reverse Yzerman in a sense. I like it.

Reactions: BobbyJet and G0AT

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Toews coming back to a 1C level has my giddy. We’d be adding: Toews, Dach, Jones, and Fleury to a young team who has exciting potential. With DeBrincat, Kubalik, and our young guys taking steps forward this team could have a lot of nice depth to compliment the top 6.

I hope JC proves this season why Bowman was so confident about him because talent-wise I think this roster with Toews could easily finish top 3 in the division.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kubalik and DeBrincat would be the best two way wingers on the team. So if you want Toews to do less heavy lifting on the defensive end, those would be the guys to put him with. Though that's who he was last playing with anyway.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I hope JC proves this season why Bowman was so confident about him
I hope so. He proved it in Sweden and proved it in Rockford. Has yet to prove it at the NHL level.

I feel like he's had enough time now to get acclimated so this season really has to be his last chance to get things going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad