The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
You do realize there's more to a team than their goal differential, right? I posted several stats last night that pointed to the current Canucks team being just as bad as the previous 3 years that you blatantly ignored.

Goal differential is the single greatest indicator of team performance out there. It's correlation to winning% is astounding.

I have to assume you know this already...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So you don't agree those numbers represent a precipitous declining?

1 above replacement level forward in the 18-25 range? We are surprised this has been a boring, low scoring team the previous 3 years?

I was surprised that team jumped 20 spots in the standings in goalscoring to make the playoffs. Vrbata and Bonino were the difference makers. Not surprised goalscoring has been an issue since.
Yeah, it's precipitous, but I don't think the -27 is an accurate reflection of the fall and I think it's pretty normal for that team to trend down. They were +20 the very next year with largely the same group.

Should probably take this chat out of this thread before the whole convo gets deleted again though.

This is the pro - tank thread.

Reactions: Jack Burton

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Goal differential is the single greatest indicator of team performance out there. It's correlation to winning% is astounding.

I have to assume you know this already...

You're welcome to live in ignorance and put all your eggs into one basket and focus solely on ONE stat. I prefer to be enlightened and dive a bit deeper for further context. As I provided last night, and you chose to ignore because it didn't support your narrative. Funny how you quickly dropped the "the Canucks are ranked x this year so that's improvement" to "goal differential is all I look at now" since your original position was destroyed quite easily.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
You're welcome to live in ignorance and put all your eggs into one basket and focus solely on ONE stat. I prefer to be enlightened and dive a bit deeper for further context.

In your opinion, why have you yet to come across a single analyst or fan this season that shares your opinion that this team is no better than the previous 3 years?

Honest question, are you following the team and watching the games this year?

Why is everyone's 'narrative' so radically different from yours do you think? Not many 'enlightened' people out there?

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
In your opinion, why have you yet to come across a single analyst or fan this season that shares your opinion that this team is no better than the previous 3 years?

Why is everyone's 'narrative' so radically different from yours do you think? Not many 'enlightened' people out there?
Why are you deflecting?

And if you see that much improvement, answer this: this team should be buyer or seller at the deadline?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Why are you deflecting?

And if you see that much improvement, answer this: this team should be buyer or seller at the deadline?

Because I already answered it. When your 1st line centre is on pace for 46 goals and he's replacing your 1st line centre from last season that had 3, I think you're going to see improvements on offense. Boeser and Pettersson completely change the landscape because they are giving us an 80 goal pace between them. Replacing the top line where we were getting around 30 between the twins is going to have huge impact on your goals for and goal differential - the greatest indicator of team strength. This change will not be reflected in his stats.

Under no circumstances should we be buying. I would move Sutter and Gudbranson for picks and aim to go into the draft with a dozen picks.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Maybe my expectation for progress is high. I expect progress to reflect on the standings. We will see how things play out, but i expect around the same amount of points this year than last... marginal difference a bit higher or lower. It's definitely more fun following and watching the kids perform, but I have a difficult time considering a "retool on the fly" or a "rebuild" working or progressing when the transition is from a bottom feeding team to a bottom feeding team. If Quinn Hughes comes in next year and racks up points is that progress if the team is another bottom feeder next year? I don't think so... one of these years it needs to reflect significantly on the standings, and that's the year progress is made.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Wrong again. Many people share my opinion. Even in this very thread :laugh: But just like the stats you're choosing to ignore anything that doesn't support your narrative.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Wrong again. Many people share my opinion. Even in this very thread :laugh: But just like the stats you're choosing to ignore anything that doesn't support your narrative.

Have you seen 1 analyst that has been down on this team this season?

I've explained to you why your stats aren't representative multiple times. The talent pool has turned over at the top of the roster and improved significantly. These changes don't show up in your stats.

Your stats also show that the Leafs and Jets are poor teams too. Both are being outshot in a similar manner to the Canucks. Are they poor teams too? They are ranked 3 and 4 in the league. Guess where they they rank in goal differential? You guessed it, 3 and 4.

Do you believe the Leafs and Jets aren't very good?

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Because I already answered it. When your 1st line centre is on pace for 46 goals and he's replacing your 1st line centre from last season that had 3, I think you're going to see improvements on offense. Boeser and Pettersson completely change the landscape because they are giving us an 80 goal pace between them. Replacing the top line where we were getting around 30 between the twins is going to have huge impact on your goals for and goal differential - the greatest indicator of team strength. This change will not be reflected in his stats.

Under no circumstances should we be buying. I would move Sutter and Gudbranson for picks and aim to go into the draft with a dozen picks.
If you can think someone can sustain a 27.6% shooting percentage, that says a lot.

By the way, Boeser is on pace for 30 goals (in 69 games, because we have 28 games remaining), and Petterson is on pace for 39, which gives us roughly 70. Combining this perfect pace with all the other players gives us 225, just a mere 7 more goals . I think I have something here. By the way, he also are on pace for 254 GA, which gives us a -29 goal differential. Improvement? Barely. Main difference? Markstrom is doing miracles on ice in some games.

About the buyers/sellers stuff, one could argue that if someone sees a large improvement on the team, you try to give that team some support and get some additional pieces to make that push. If you say that we should be sellers, and I agree for a completely different reason, I must conclude that you don't really believe in your answer.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
By the way, he also are on pace for 254 GA, which gives us a -29 goal differential. Improvement? Barely. Main difference? Markstrom is doing miracles on ice in some games.

About the buyers/sellers stuff, one could argue that if someone sees a large improvement on the team, you try to give that team some support and get some additional pieces to make that push. If you say that we should be sellers, and I agree for a completely different reason, I must conclude that you don't really believe in your answer.

We have a -12 goal differential. We are on pace to finish -18. That's more than a +30 improvement over the last 3 years.

I don't believe in rentals unless you're an elite team. Bubble playoff teams shouldn't be making those deals.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
We have a -12 goal differential. We are on pace to finish -18. That's more than a +30 improvement over the last 3 years.

I don't believe in rentals unless you're an elite team. Bubble playoff teams shouldn't be making those deals.
You made the same mistake again. Check your math. And we will not sustain that shooting %.

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011
I have taken to betting on Vancouver to win... odds are outstanding, and if they lose, I'm still happy for the tanking. I figure I might as well make some cash off our bad luck/inability to ever get the top pick.

Reactions: xtra

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
STL wins. They officially pass us (1 point lead) with 3 games in hand still. Philly moves a point clear of us. Florida only 2 back with 3 games in hand, COL 1 back with 2 games in hand.

Chicago/Arizona/Edmonton could all move within a point of Vancouver.

Hell LAK are on a big roll here and could pass us.

Why are people calling our .500 club a playoff squad again?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why are people calling our .500 club a playoff squad again?
Because people have been so accustomed to looking at points when they need to look at PT%.

That’s it really. Yes they are “close” to a playoff spot. They are just as close to being last in the conference. Somehow that also gets ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad