Player Discussion The Big Vinny - Vincent Desharnais

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My biggest knock on Nemo is the guy never looks engaged. Like Bouchard, just going through the motions.

We need more Kostin type players, completely engaged, emotionally, physically.
lolwut?

Nemo at one time last season was leading the league in hits/minute. He was certainly physically engaged. He was in opponents faces, in scrums. He was even jumping up on the attack too much. The guy really wanted to play and be here. But getting HS and sent down several times is hard to take. The guy brought every lick of what he could to the party.

Both Desharnais and Nemo are examples of never say die attitude. Both have jumped the depth charts.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Makes you think about how many potential NHLers never got the chance like Desharnais is now. Guys who just had bad luck, or stuck behind depth.

Anytime you get a 7th rounder playing any amount of games, it's a big scouting win.
A lot of it comes down to the player themself. You have to want it enough, put in the work and not get down on yourself because you couldn't get an ELC.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
In oilers it takes a perfect storm. What the team needs depend on a prospects success. If not a glaring team need at that moment, you have to score a goal every second game to make fans happy.

But the AHL team seems to be better also now than before.

I think players like Brossoit could had been kept, he went on to be a backup goalie.

And I bet players like Slepyshev, Haas, Yakimov could had been better in other organisations. B. Davidson was supreme for Oilers his season before injury I dont getbwhat happend to that guy.

I know there is a draftroundchart, equalizes draftround values. I wonder how much worth owning the entire 7th round would have. Like a 2nd round pick?
He was slewfooted badly by Matthew Tkachuk -

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Makes you think about how many potential NHLers never got the chance like Desharnais is now. Guys who just had bad luck, or stuck behind depth.

Anytime you get a 7th rounder playing any amount of games, it's a big scouting win.
You follow the AHL as much as anybody here probably and I tend to agree with this. Its why even though I'm not a prospects watching poster to any great degree I do feel teams should invest heavily in having the most systems players possible and even having a 2nd team or loaning prospects to other clubs. Have as many feet in the fire as possible as you don't know necessarily which players parlay to the big time. This most with goalies but applies to other positions as well. Bullet approach to prospects, that said with a scouting staff that maybe recognizes certain traits in players.

On the other hand could be said that Desharnais has had the good luck to be roster depth in a position and quantity the Oilers are lacking in. Tough no nonsense D that clear the crease and make visiting punishable.

I love Desharnais. Did you feel he had this kind of NHL game in him?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Desharnais is doing a beautiful job and they shouldn't change a thing about how they are deploying the player including his minutes.

He has made some mistakes but the number of times I've seen this player do things that help the team win hockey games is outright astounding.

Simply put he makes players not want the puck on their stick when he is patrolling the crease and when he hits the player getting hit stops thinking about hockey. Nurse needs to watch closely and note how much one or two determined defensive plays can alter the game in the Oiler's favour.

5 games played, three assists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
You follow the AHL as much as anybody here probably and I tend to agree with this. Its why even though I'm not a prospects watching poster to any great degree I do feel teams should invest heavily in having the most systems players possible and even having a 2nd team or loaning prospects to other clubs. Have as many feet in the fire as possible as you don't know necessarily which players parlay to the big time. This most with goalies but applies to other positions as well. Bullet approach to prospects, that said with a scouting staff that maybe recognizes certain traits in players.

On the other hand could be said that Desharnais has had the good luck to be roster depth in a position and quantity the Oilers are lacking in. Tough no nonsense D that clear the crease and make visiting punishable.

I love Desharnais. Did you feel he had this kind of NHL game in him?
That's funny because I remember during the annual "Top 20 prospect" vote I was surprised people were voting Desharnais higher than I thought he should be.

It wasn't a comment on his talent, but at the time I just thought it was very rare for a defenseman pushing into the second half of his 20s to break into the NHL.

I guess it's good to accept the L's when they happen.

But I think @voxel can agree too, Desharnais was always a guy that seems to improve slowly year after year.

From the games I saw in 21-22, Desharnais was really dependable.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
download-_8_.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's funny because I remember during the annual "Top 20 prospect" vote I was surprised people were voting Desharnais higher than I thought he should be.

It wasn't a comment on his talent, but at the time I just thought it was very rare for a defenseman pushing into the second half of his 20s to break into the NHL.

I guess it's good to accept the L's when they happen.

But I think @voxel can agree too, Desharnais was always a guy that seems to improve slowly year after year.

From the games I saw in 21-22, Desharnais was really dependable.
Thanks. I didn't know much about Desharnais until this season. Glad to have him. Really big D can take a longtime. I guess thats one thing that can make somebody like this an outlier that it can take years for some to handle their height and lanky posture. Being that this guy went so late in draft he was out of the radar. Good to those that spotted some game in him. He's the physical type of D I love.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
lolwut?

Nemo at one time last season was leading the league in hits/minute. He was certainly physically engaged. He was in opponents faces, in scrums. He was even jumping up on the attack too much. The guy really wanted to play and be here. But getting HS and sent down several times is hard to take. The guy brought every lick of what he could to the party.

Both Desharnais and Nemo are examples of never say die attitude. Both have jumped the depth charts.

I had this one the first page.

Comparable to Niemo, but Vinny seems to have a little more weight, and is more engaged with the talk and mood on the ice vs. Markus, who's from the Ivan Drago school of interaction.

I can see how Niemo's lack of showing emotion can come across as lack of engagement. But as you said, that's not issue with him.

I mean, he's Finnish, if there was ever a sterotype for the culture, it's a mute brandishing a knife. Mikko Koivu was the same: Quite and reserved, but would set the standard after night for the team. It's why the Wild had zero issue making him captain.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I bet McLeod gassed one as he was getting off the plane. That's why he's laughing coming down the stairs and everyone else has that "look".

• Haha
Reactions: ZJuice

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Panning out needs a bigger sample than 6 NHL games as a #7 Dman .. he has looked good for sure and hopefully keeps it up... He will certainly hit a wall or a snag...let's see how he bounces from it.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Weak game from Vinny last night. Sixth game in the league and the first one where he has looked out of his depth.

Woody saw it and stapled Vinny to the bench. Not the end of the world for the 7D. Fingers crossed it was just a blip and he returns to form on how he played in his first five games.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Weak game from Vinny last night. Sixth game in the league and the first one where he has looked out of his depth.

Woody saw it and stapled Vinny to the bench. Not the end of the world for the 7D. Fingers crossed it was just a blip and he returns to form on how he played in his first five games.

At least Desharnais has Manson here, whom he has a rapport with, to help him out with minor setbacks; he's still in a position to get better/consistent.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

It nice to have a 2 and a half month window before the trade deadline to evaluate the rookies on the blue line. Broberg and Vinny are making their case now, but if they start showing that they are consistently overmatched, then Gavrikov or Schenn and Hamonic should be targetted.

On that note, there are some options out there on RD, but dear god, we better hope Broberg can keep it up, as LD looks shallow as f**k going into the deadline.

Reactions: LTIR

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My Nuge is growing into such a handsome young man
Lol, his looks haven't changed in 10 years!

Always knew he was going to have a bump or two, and soon. Lots more learning for him on his journey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad