Player Discussion The Big Vinny - Vincent Desharnais

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that people need to calm their expectations out of Desharnais. He is a solid defensive guy with good size and strength and plays a mean game around the net which is what we need. The offensive side is probably pretty limited based on his AHL stats, that's just gravy anyway since we need someone solid defensively and on the pk.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think that people need to calm their expectations out of Desharnais. He is a solid defensive guy with good size and strength and plays a mean game around the net which is what we need. The offensive side is probably pretty limited based on his AHL stats, that's just gravy anyway since we need someone solid defensively and on the pk.
Agreed. The narriatives sinks players. Tall guy= ah! Our Chara! Chara is an exception. Even Hedman went under that pressure in the beginning of his career.

Vinny is as you said. Defence around the net, probabky not at all about break out passes or defensive general - that takes years to be.
Im happy if he has the right attitude, and mindset, beung serious, not cheating, keeping his mood and attitude, listen to teammates. That is in NHL more important than actual talent for the most.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A player type that's often overlooked but essential in the modern puck dangle NHL.

In short sample, Desharnais has been calm and efficient in the battle areas on the ice, able to physically impede and punish opposition and use his length and active stick to disrupt passing lanes. His size and strength has some intimidation factor intangible value which again is often overlooked or dismissed in this finesse era of play. The player has a good processor which shows in his calm, no panic approach, with short-efficient zone exit passing versus high risk or panicked decisions which challenge this corp.

His foot speed is an area of challenge with puck retrieval races and pivots against fast opposition. But in short sample it's mitigated with his good decision making and active stick. Great energy and work rate are other intangibles with a player who worked his ass off and took no short cuts to play to make it to this apex level.

A reasonable depth option for big, physical opponents. A skill set this Oilers defense has significantly missed since Larsson defected along with a player type that is often grossly undervalued when raw statistic data is used to spit out incomplete conclusions about players. The coaching staff have lot of time for Vincent Desharnais and I do too. Solid end of roster option for selective use.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021

27 points in 66 games is a solid amount. He has already shown offensive flashes. Desharnais was waiting for the back door tap-in on the Klim goal that was deflected in off his skate. He jumps in the rush consistently. I definitely wouldnt say his offense is pretty limited, I would say his offense is projectable.

The only thing we havent seen is his shot

Reactions: Giggleplex

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Good size?

I know you are like Giant Man, but really?

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
His work on the PK caught my eye….the crease doesn’t look like a dance rave / mosh pit when he’s around. Goalies can see stuff…that’s good.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
27 points in 66 games is a solid amount. He has already shown offensive flashes. Desharnais was waiting for the back door tap-in on the Klim goal that was deflected in off his skate. He jumps in the rush consistently. I definitely wouldnt say his offense is pretty limited, I would say his offense is projectable.

The only thing we havent seen is his shot
If he never ever scored I’d be ok. We need a big mean defence first presence on the back end. So far he checks out. One poster (apologies I can’t remember who) said he reminded of Jeff Beukaboom. If VD can be half as effective as Jeff, it’s a winner situation.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Ehh both are massive, skate well (generally, not even for their size), are decent defensively, and have okay puck skills. I see potential there. Considering how high-event the main defencemen on this team are, having a pairing that you can toss out for 15 min and just count on sound hockey is appealing.

They were Woody and Manson's go-to top pairing in Bakersfield for a time, so I can see them giving them a look, especially if injuries hit.
They can be our "Twin Towers"

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
His work on the PK caught my eye….the crease doesn’t look like a dance rave / mosh pit when he’s around. Goalies can see stuff…that’s good.
I feel safe when he's out there, like he'll stangle our enemies nice and efficiently.
choke-marry-me.gif

Feb 9, 2013
Woof. He uh needs to work on his technique. I like that he shows up though.

Vinny gives me Jeff Beukeboom vibes a bit. Calm with the puck. Just uses that giant frame and reach to protect the puck and calmly move the puck to a good area. We’ll see how he does in regards to breaking up cycles, boxing guys out and defending the rush, but I like what I see so far.
Jeff Beukeboom? I wouldn't complain ...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
OK, time to start this thread.

What is his upside? He just seems like a natural at the game, one of those guys you see play and wonder why they were drafted so low.
I don't wonder why he was drafted low. Likely because his game was so raw. He's obviously come leaps and bounds with his hard work and development throughout the years. More than anything, I'm impressed by the way he processes the game and as a result, makes smart hockey plays and decisions.

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
I wonder how a pairing of Broberg-Desharnais would work.

Broberg makes up for the speed and rush on the pairing while Desharnais adds the lengthy reach and physicality.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Big time. He has fit so well because he is what we lacked all season imo

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Arrows up on Desharnais.
Only made two defensive errors of any consequence last night...one was a bit of rookie mistake they can easily clean up....another was being over aggressive a bit down low. So very little at all.
Did you see that stretch pass diagonal from down deep to the guy at the red line. Looked like a veteran.
OH and his teammates seem to really like him...they are coming back hard to help him and give him outlets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad