Player Discussion The Big Vinny - Vincent Desharnais

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How applicable is doing 2 laps around the ice to a hockey game?

His first 3 steps are terrible
For a stay at home shut down Dman? I'd say it's pretty important. He's still only 24. Like Desharnais said in his interview, it took awhile to grow into his body. Niemo might be the same as they're the same height. Just gotta be patient. Can't keep selling the farm just cause

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Nemo does okay with gap and does okay on the boards and does okay in transition AND he can hit and punish.
He is not a top defensive guy with super agility and he will never be a good offensive guy. But he could be your 7th D man, there is
really good value in being able to bring in a guy like him against Minnesota type defensive counterpunch teams. He can be the guy that puts a bit of fear into them and scrabbles their systems.
Moreover Nemo seems like a guy who will keep improving for a while....maybe one day instead of saying he is okay at something we will be saying he is pretty good at those things.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For a stay at home shut down Dman? I'd say it's pretty important. He's still only 24. Like Desharnais said in his interview, it took awhile to grow into his body. Niemo might be the same as they're the same height. Just gotta be patient. Can't keep selling the farm just cause
Stops and starts are a lot more important than doing two laps around a rink.

Reactions: Barrsy

McDanglez

Jan 15, 2011
Saskatchatoon
My biggest knock on Nemo is the guy never looks engaged. Like Bouchard, just going through the motions.

We need more Kostin type players, completely engaged, emotionally, physically.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
My biggest knock on Nemo is the guy never looks engaged. Like Bouchard, just going through the motions.

We need more Kostin type players, completely engaged, emotionally, physically.
This reminds me of comments on Benning. Obviously not the same situation.
Benning played almost 21 mins the other night, teams 3rd defenseman, got an assist, +2, a hit a blk and 3 takeaways. He was a factor in his team getting a point.

Reactions: Aerchon

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Niemo won the Oilers skill race lol.
When he can come up to speed, yes. But in the game of hockey, you have those quick footraces. Niemo, a longrace skater is not always a fit. He could practice on doing Orr style races, when he is such a big guy and could cover the puck that well.

Niemo has the look of a good NHLer, but in NHL, you have roles, and Nieno doesnt really fit any role, he has his style. Big, skating, hard hitting Dman, without acde defence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Really liked one of the comments from Desharnais when he said something to the effect of, "the first 2 games were fine, but the 3rd one was lot more physical and hard, and I like those kind of games." Another player on this team that actually embraces the physicality!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Took me a while to figure out Desharnais' resemblance...but if he gets some mustache advice from Skinner, he'd remind me of Charles Bronson (the most violent prisoner in Britain - here played by Tom Hardy)

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fc5718ce5604feafafdc2e29bfaafcea9.jpg
I can’t stop seeing this guy.

1674075626252.jpeg

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Undefeated so far with him in the lineup and with some big contributions from the big man himself. 3 points, some good reads, along with some good defensive positioning/physicality/board play/crease clearing. Seems to be one of those players who thinks the game well and is there before the play develop, and is anticipating rather than reacting. He's obviously not the most gifted guy offensive tools/mobility wise but you don't need to be if you're already standing where the puck is going.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Makes you think about how many potential NHLers never got the chance like Desharnais is now. Guys who just had bad luck, or stuck behind depth.

Anytime you get a 7th rounder playing any amount of games, it's a big scouting win.

Indeed, a very interesting thing to ponder

And he’s worked so hard to get to where he is today. It’s pretty inspirational

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Makes you think about how many potential NHLers never got the chance like Desharnais is now. Guys who just had bad luck, or stuck behind depth.

Anytime you get a 7th rounder playing any amount of games, it's a big scouting win.
In oilers it takes a perfect storm. What the team needs depend on a prospects success. If not a glaring team need at that moment, you have to score a goal every second game to make fans happy.

But the AHL team seems to be better also now than before.

I think players like Brossoit could had been kept, he went on to be a backup goalie.

And I bet players like Slepyshev, Haas, Yakimov could had been better in other organisations. B. Davidson was supreme for Oilers his season before injury I dont getbwhat happend to that guy.

I know there is a draftroundchart, equalizes draftround values. I wonder how much worth owning the entire 7th round would have. Like a 2nd round pick?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Hope they continue to do the slow burn with this guy. Slowly over next year increase his ice time. Let him succeed at each step.
See where he plateaus and help him work through it. He brings a couple of things this defense/team sorely needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad