Player Discussion The Big Vinny - Vincent Desharnais

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think that people need to calm their expectations out of Desharnais. He is a solid defensive guy with good size and strength and plays a mean game around the net which is what we need. The offensive side is probably pretty limited based on his AHL stats, that's just gravy anyway since we need someone solid defensively and on the pk.
Yes. Other teams will scout him, and get a book on him.
And he may also feel pressure of making points, wich he shouldnt. I really hope not. 7D is what this team is built for, where this guy take D zone starts only.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The main thing for him, IMO, is to just keep it simple. He's well aware of why he was brought up here, and he's smart enough to know that. It wasn't to score goals or make incredible stretch passes, but as he gets more confidence, I think he has the potential to add some offence to his game. He just seems to think the game really well, and to be honest, you can't say that about a few of the guys on this team. Same with Kostin. We need more of them.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The main thing for him, IMO, is to just keep it simple. He's well aware of why he was brought up here, and he's smart enough to know that. It wasn't to score goals or make incredible stretch passes, but as he gets more confidence, I think he has the potential to add some offence to his game. He just seems to think the game really well, and to be honest, you can't say that about a few of the guys on this team. Same with Kostin. We need more of them.
I prefer if he just give a damn about offense, we have so many other guys running up to their fav zone.
Stay at home D, thats what I think is the best for him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Vinny as a RD isnperfect for the defensive smurfs Barrie and Bouchard. Let them work woth their defense somw times i their zone, or other eay they will be even worse... But Vinnys there to help. I think Broberg, Ceci, Vinny are the best defensive players back. Two are rookies...
Ceci should not be traded.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Clearly someone who does not take anything for granted, given his path. More than a few on the current roster could take some lessons from his attitude and focus (but won't). Like I said before, this team is dearly lacking this sort of defensively focused D man who plays a simple and straightforward game, with good gap control and some abrasiveness around his net. I really hope he takes the opportunity and runs with it, good for him.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Took me a while to figure out Desharnais' resemblance...but if he gets some mustache advice from Skinner, he'd remind me of Charles Bronson (the most violent prisoner in Britain - here played by Tom Hardy)

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fc5718ce5604feafafdc2e29bfaafcea9.jpg

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I liked his game. Massive guy, and although he got cleanly beat a few times off the boards, I won't hold it against him yet. Welcome to the NHL kid.

Love the physicality, love him battling with McCann in front of our net. Also saw a few whistles where he straight up blocked the view of anyone who had stopped up anywhere near our net. Just standing there right in front of them until they turn around.

I'd love to see him clobber some people in the next few games.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
VD does everything Niemalainen does, except better.
Niemelainen is a better open ice hitter and more mobile on his skates, what Desharnais is doing is really just playing a very contained and simple game with good defensive fundamentals, he's effectively using his wingspan and size to defend and is keeping the breakouts and passes simple & safe.

I don't want to get too over the top or glowing with praise for him, but I already feel safer with him out there on the PK than Nurse.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Niemelainen is a better open ice hitter and more mobile on his skates, what Desharnais is doing is really just playing a very contained and simple game with good defensive fundamentals, he's effectively using his wingspan and size to defend and is keeping the breakouts and passes simple & safe.

I don't want to get too over the top or glowing with praise for him, but I already feel safer with him out there on the PK than Nurse.
Niemalainen is anything but mobile

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Yes. Other teams will scout him, and get a book on him.
And he may also feel pressure of making points, wich he shouldnt. I really hope not. 7D is what this team is built for, where this guy take D zone starts only.

Hopefully that book says something like "it's going to be a pain to go to the net if he's on the ice".

Even if he only turns out into a Hakanpaa type defender, that's a huge win for a 7th round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad