The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
77jad8.jpg

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
He was drafted in the last round in the last year of his eligibility. Taking the long road via ECHL and walking it past the AHL to reach the NHL in the last reasonable second.

Seems like he arrived just in time and is here to make an impact!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Could be our version of Jani Hakanpaa

Gryba was the first name that came to mind, but Hakanpaa (and Soucy) would likely be modern day comparisons. Not a ton of skill, but solid defensive IQ, mammoth size, and decent skating ability can get you far as a 3rd pairing guy.

Comparable to Niemo, but Vinny seems to have a little more weight, and is more engaged with the talk and mood on the ice vs. Markus, who's from the Ivan Drago school of interaction.

Truth be told I'd be curious to see the two of them as the 3rd pairing and/or on the PK. I remember Woody and Manson got a massive amount of milage out of the two of them as the top pair in Bakersfield.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Parayko/Chara/Hakanpaa

I think he has more offensive potential then Hakanpaa and less then Chara. I could see him put up 30-35 point seasons. Jumps into the rush pretty consistently and looks like he has decent vision from the point.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
OK, time to start this thread.

What is his upside? He just seems like a natural at the game, one of those guys you see play and wonder why they were drafted so low.

Bottom pair big rangy depth defender who uses his reach well and fills a unique and needed role that isn’t measured in fancies.

He’s 3 games in, let’s not get ahead of ourselves and annoint him as the next Chara. He will make plenty of mistakes in the coming weeks but the good should outweigh the bad.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The one thing he allows is for more balanced RSD. Look at last night: a tight game where the team has the lead, and they're able to dial back Bouchard and Barrie's minutes (13:30 and 16 min), but not run Ceci into the ground defensively (19 min).

This is something that didn't happen when the 7th D was a LHS, as Woody/Manson would refuse the play anyone on their offside. Even if the team would have been better off running something like a Niemo-Kulak pairing to defend leads, instead of having one of the B's on the ice.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think if he can just focus on defense, keep it simple, play effectively, he can make a big impact on this team. Add some snarl. Box guys out.

His skating and puck skills are what has impressed me. They are much better than I expected.

In a perfect world, if he could play with Nurse and help out with some defensive miscues, that would be huge for us. Saw some good moments of this in Vegas game doing this.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2013
Bottom pair big rangy depth defender who uses his reach well and fills a unique and needed role that isn’t measured in fancies.

He’s 3 games in, let’s not get ahead of ourselves and annoint him as the next Chara. He will make plenty of mistakes in the coming weeks but the good should outweigh the bad.
I agree ... but, I also see him filling a major hole on this team. Its refreshing seeing someone actually defend the crease and get in other players faces.

And there's this: Vincent Desharnais

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I agree ... but, I also see him filling a major hole on this team. Its refreshing seeing someone actually defend the crease and get in other players faces.

Certainly, as I said he fills a much needed and unique role. Sorely needed in fact for this cup of Vanilla Ice of a team!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Gryba was the first name that came to mind, but Hakanpaa (and Soucy) would likely be modern day comparisons. Not a ton of skill, but solid defensive IQ, mammoth size, and decent skating ability can get you far as a 3rd pairing guy.

Comparable to Niemo, but Vinny seems to have a little more weight, and is more engaged with the talk and mood on the ice vs. Markus, who's from the Ivan Drago school of interaction.

Truth be told I'd be curious to see the two of them as the 3rd pairing and/or on the PK. I remember Woody and Manson got a massive amount of milage out of the two of them as the top pair in Bakersfield.

Niemo Desharnias would be a heavy bottom pair, but i doubt they would be good together.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The one thing he allows is for more balanced RSD. Look at last night: a tight game where the team has the lead, and they're able to dial back Bouchard and Barrie's minutes (13:30 and 16 min), but not run Ceci into the ground defensively (19 min).

This is something that didn't happen when the 7th D was a LHS, as Woody/Manson would refuse the play anyone on their offside. Even if the team would have been better off running something like a Niemo-Kulak pairing to defend leads, instead of having one of the B's on the ice.
I want them to keep him up
He is to unique to not to. And as you say, let them have flexibility, not running Kulak and Ceci to the ground.
Can a 7D way, with Broberg and Vinny improving be the thing.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Niemo Desharnias would be a heavy bottom pair, but i doubt they would be good together.

Ehh both are massive, skate well (generally, not even for their size), are decent defensively, and have okay puck skills. I see potential there. Considering how high-event the main defencemen on this team are, having a pairing that you can toss out for 15 min and just count on sound hockey is appealing.

They were Woody and Manson's go-to top pairing in Bakersfield for a time, so I can see them giving them a look, especially if injuries hit.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Woof. He uh needs to work on his technique. I like that he shows up though.

Vinny gives me Jeff Beukeboom vibes a bit. Calm with the puck. Just uses that giant frame and reach to protect the puck and calmly move the puck to a good area. We’ll see how he does in regards to breaking up cycles, boxing guys out and defending the rush, but I like what I see so far.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Ehh both are massive, skate well (generally, not even for their size), are decent defensively, and have okay puck skills. I see potential there. Considering how high-event the main defencemen on this team are, having a pairing that you can toss out for 15 min and just count on sound hockey is appealing.

They were Woody and Manson's go-to top pairing in Bakersfield for a time, so I can see them giving them a look, especially if injuries hit.
Who can make a break out pass??

I doubt. Broberg is the key here, he will fit to Vinny.
Bouchard to Niemo/Broberg.

Can broberg play top 4?
Otherwise there are four bottom pairing guys.

I be one of the few that likes the 7D ice time distrubutiin. You should fit the team to what fits them best, and while oilers have only one 20+ min/night guy, Nurse, thats the best distribution.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I want them to keep him up
He is to unique to not to. And as you say, let them have flexibility, not running Kulak and Ceci to the ground.
Can a 7D way, with Broberg and Vinny improving be the thing.

I think it's a safe bet he stays up, and likely in the lineup.

When they were running 4 LHD, there was never a situation where you would want Broberg/Niemo/Murray on the ice on the ice over Nurse or Kulak, so you just ended up with 2 guys splitting limited 3rd pairing minutes. On the right side, 2 of the 3 guys can't be counted on defensively. Thus you get a very clear role for Vinny, where he eats Bouchard and Barrie's minutes in defensive situations, and everyone's better for it.

As I mentioned above, the only issue I have is why wasn't a LHD just shifted over to do the same job earlier? Even if you didn't want to toss a kid that responsibility, I refuse to believe neither Kulak or Murray couldn't play their offside on a lower pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984 and Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Parayko/Chara/Hakanpaa

I think he has more offensive potential then Hakanpaa and less then Chara. I could see him put up 30-35 point seasons. Jumps into the rush pretty consistently and looks like he has decent vision from the point.
The immediate vibe I get is Logan Stanley. I love D that are built like trees that have huge wingspan and strong sticks to break up plays and physicality to box out. With big D like this it can take a long time for the player to put together their package. Coordination alone takes longer when you are this big.

Desharnais reminds me most though of a D nobody here will know of. An ex Junior Oil Kings Star that played here from 70-72. Keith Mackie. Guy was 6ft6 225lbs when that kind of size was extremely rare 50yrs ago. Keith took some time to put his game together but became good enough to get drafted 5oth in NHL draft. Player was so strong. Was still clumsy though due to his size.

Keith though had the tragic misfortune to be hit hard with a puck right to the eye in the 72 Memorial cup and had torn iris in his eye. I don't think he ever had great vision in the one eye after that which probably impacted his game severely. Amazingly he continued to play after that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad