The Best Player In the World

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Is Karlsson that good. Funny if he is and I am not saying he doesn't belong there among the best of the best. It is actually very refreshing if this strange dude is de facto in the top3 of current hockey players or such claims are at least dead serious and warranted.

But then again he is - or he should be - a friggin Dman. And that should be factored in the equation. Yet, he is not much of a defender tbh. Rather a free pass player with an over-energetic child's approach to the game. Almost irresponsible and only thinking about offense, offense and offense, a frigging Dman!!! Hilarious.

Brent Burns is better. He defends like a man. :D

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Crosby = Crosby

Karlsson > Crosby

Karlsson less Ottawa = not a playoff team

Crosby less Pittsburgh = A playoff team with a chance at the cup

Hope EK's new injury is not serious, isn't that the same ankle he twisted earlier on? I believe the fractures are on the left heel, while the right ankle has had the sprain.

LOL because "team quality" definitely is the same thing as "individual quality"

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It's some order of Karlsson, McDavid, and Crosby. That's tier one. You can argue that Karlsson is probably 3rd there, but honestly ordering those three is just splitting hairs.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Did you start watching hockey this year?

Did you watch the playoffs where McDavid was an all world beater? Of course they are not in the same ballpark, Karlsson is still playing hockey as McDavid swings for the fences in Sherwood Park Softball League (co-ed).

Karlsson will never lead a team to cup, or even win one.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Am I crazy here or is no one watching Malkin lately? McDavid isn't there yet with playoffs he just had. Youth really isn't excuse if you're saying he's the best player on the planet imo. If Crosby had 9 points in 13 games in the playoffs it would be the end of the world as we know it.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Am I crazy here or is no one watching Malkin lately? McDavid isn't there yet with playoffs he just had. Youth really isn't excuse if you're saying he's the best player on the planet imo. If Crosby had 9 points in 13 games in the playoffs it would be the end of the world as we know it.

Ironic.

In the 2013-14 playoffs, that was Crosbys exact stat line.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
Karlsson will never lead a team to cup, or even win one.

He is certainly making a go of it now, and on one foot at that.

I think Karlsson is the best player in the league right now. He is easily the most valuable to his team and plays more minutes. Look at the team stats, especially in these playoffs, with him on/off the ice. Its absolutely amazing the difference he makes to the Sens and I personally believe he would do it with any team he was on. He may never win a cup if he stays in Ottawa. I don't think they are a good enough team to do it this year and I don't see them getting significantly better after this opportunity, but he is doing his damnedest to drag this team to a cup playing injured.

I don't think the gap between the consensus 3 best players is very big at all and understand people saying either Crosby or McDavid, but Karlsson impresses me more game in game out, and plays more in every game.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Im seriously not getting how McDavid is in this conversation right now with 1 100 point season followed by an underwhelming playoff profomance. How is that enough to knock the Crown off when Patrick Kane scored 106 points just last year? Crosby has a Cup,Smyth,World Cup, World Cup MVP,Rocket with another Cup and Smyth pending right now. That's all just in the last year. There really isn't any argument to be made for McDavid at this point. Crosby isn't going to skate through the boards for a regular season scoring title at this point in his career.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Im seriously not getting how McDavid is in this conversation right now with 1 100 point season followed by an underwhelming playoff profomance. How is that enough to knock the Crown off when Patrick Kane scored 106 points just last year? Crosby has a Cup,Smyth,World Cup, World Cup MVP,Rocket with anther Cup and pending right now. That's all just in the last year. There really isn't any argument to be made for McDavid at this point. Crosby isn't going to skate through the boards for a regular season scoring title at this point in his career.

Winning the Art Ross, Hart, and possibly the Lindsay in his 2nd season. Through his first season and a half he hasn't gone more than 2 straight games without a point.

You really think "there isn't any argument"? Like none at all? This is all without even discussing his skillset that no one else has.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Winning the Art Ross, Hart, and possibly the Lindsay in his 2nd season. Through his first season and a half he hasn't gone more than 2 straight games without a point.

You really think "there isn't any argument"? Like none at all? This is all without even discussing his skillset that no one else has.

What does it matter if it's his 2nd season if we are talking about best player on the planet? McDavid brought it in the regular season but he couldn't back that up with a best player on the planet playoff run. I don't know what you're looking for. He didn't get it done this this year. I'm not trying to knock the guy but he's not there yet and I'm pretty sure most people agree about that. How are you going unseat the reigning best player when he currently holds most of the prestigious awards in the game with 1 scoring title and 1 MVP when Crosby has already been there and done that? It just doesn't make sense. Crosby went couple games without scoring following a concussion in the semifinals/conference finals and there's a thread saying he's dropping the ball. McDavid is held to nearly that standard at this point.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crosby
McDavid
Karlsson

After next season?

McDavid
Crosby
Karlsson

Depends, is Draisaitl still not getting his own line as he should? Then yeah because of "lots of points" I'd say yeah.

Crosby basically until he retires is the right answer. People never learn.

Crosby. Karlsson doesnt belong in the conversation

It's the other name people want to say so they don't have to say Crosby. IF you don't say McDavid it's because you're an Oilers hater when in reality, just because you win for points it isn't everything. McDavid is the Washington Capitals, Draisaitl is the Penguins.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't spend a lot of time thinking about this kind of thing nowadays, but I'll just say that I don't think McDavid deserves conclusive voting for this after one semi-dominant season.

Basically, one great season in the NHL doesn't make you the best player in the world. Were Henrik Sedin and Jamie Benn the world's best players after one scoring title? (I'm being a little facetious, as McDavid obviously accomplished more than they did considering his team, etc., but still...).

If McDavid has another season next year like this past one, then we'll talk.

At the moment, I'd tip my hat to Crosby. He's proved himself.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Ironic.

In the 2013-14 playoffs, that was Crosbys exact stat line.

lol that is a good pull but come on. You're going to say he's now the best because he tied Crosby's worst playoff run? I'm not saying his skill set isn't great or he's not going to reach Crosby's level but he hasn't shown he can beat a team defense that's designed specifically crafted to stop him when you have to play the same team for 7 games. He's 19. He still has to learn to make adjustments game to game in the playoffs like every other top player including Crosby. I wouldn't be at all surprised if McDavid overtakes Crosby next year but I'm not will to give him title until Crosby falls off a bit or McDavid has a completely outstanding season. Skill isn't enough vs a 29yo all-time great imo.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

As usual, its what that skillset produces, not how flashy it looks.

I think we will have to wait at least another year before assessing whether McDavid has reached Crosby's current level, or until Crosby shows signs of regressing.

Would anybody pick McDavid over Crosby right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad