The Best Player In the World

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens fan saying McDavid offensively. Sid's the best overall player in the game.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
We know some Oiler fans at desperate for the "anointing" so they can shift their focus to convincing us that Drasiatil is 2nd best.

It is Crosby, McDavid my steal that title next year but he may not. Time will tell. I would argue McDavid needs to separate from Malkin first, they at tied for #2 among forwards IMO.

Agreed

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Karlsson is the best of all time. No player even comes close. A distant second is Gretzky.

Ummmm...ok but you owe me a new keyboard!:laugh::laugh:

As of this season, there's not much separation between the acknowledged 3 players.
In 2 yrs, I would imagine McDavid or Matthews, probably both may start to separate themselves from the pack with Karlsson wear and tear and Crosby's age and medical issues taking a toll.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Pens fan saying McDavid offensively. Sid's the best overall player in the game.

That's Karlsson, by a significant margin because of his 200 foot play compared to Crosby's "overall" game. Too bad Karlsson is limping around the ice in Round 3 to put an end to this debate.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
The player who was the answer to this question 11 years ago.

Jaromir Jagr? Or Joe Thornton? One thing is for sure. In may 2006 Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin was not the best player in the world.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
And to contribute to the thread, my answer atm is Malkin. Could see the arguments for Mcdavid, Crosby and Karlsson depending which criteria you use (this series, this playoffs, this season, past couple of years etc)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
But for Crosby it does?
Not targeting you but the amount of hypocrisy by some with regards to Crosby is insane. Claiming he's the best player just after his 2nd season yet not holding others with the same criteria:shakehead
I don't think I thought Crosby was the best player in the world in 2007.

Having said that, the elite competition for him at that moment in time wasn't as strong as the McDavid competition is now. But then Ovechkin came on strong circa 2007 to 2010 and Sid took a back-seat. People saying Cros has been the best since 2006 are engaging in historical revisionism.

My point is that I don't feel the need to declare a new King because of one great season.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
McDavid. Leading scorer by a large margin, also sees the toughest matchups since the Oilers were usually a one line team. Crosby has Malkin to take some pressure off him since Malkin is a huge threat in his own right, much more so than Eberle or a RNH.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Crosby is the definition of hockey. Period.

You look up hockey on google or in the dictionary, you will find: Sidney Crosby.

Best players by position:

C-Sidney Crosby
RW- Patrick Kane
LW- Jamie Benn
D-Erik Karlsson
D-Drew Dougthy
G - Carey Price

McDavid will have his time come soon though. But Crosby is just the best player in the world.

Patrick Kane for me is the most exciting player in the NHL though.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid. Leading scorer by a large margin, also sees the toughest matchups since the Oilers were usually a one line team. Crosby has Malkin to take some pressure off him since Malkin is a huge threat in his own right, much more so than Eberle or a RNH.

Will ignore the zero context around point totals but Crosby has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he produces regardless of linemates or teammates. I expect McDavid will show the same in the regular season too. The playoffs are a different story for now.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin takes the easier match ups for this reason alone his numbers can never be as impressive.

In the playoffs this is definitely a factor, I think their regular season numbers speak for themselves with Crosby being the better producer and more consistent 2-way player.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't think I thought Crosby was the best player in the world in 2007.

Having said that, the elite competition for him at that moment in time wasn't as strong as the McDavid competition is now. But then Ovechkin came on strong circa 2007 to 2010 and Sid took a back-seat. People saying Cros has been the best since 2006 are engaging in historical revisionism.

My point is that I don't feel the need to declare a new King because of one great season.

Crosby had a better case for being #1 at the end of 2007 than McDavid does now. I had him as sharing the title with Thornton after that year.

As for better competition, both Crosby and McDavid were statistically ahead of the next 10 - 20 scorers by similar %s, not that Thornton in 2007 wasn't on par, or better than, any of McDavid's competitors this year.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
McDavid just scored 9 points in 13 playoff games.

He is absolutely nowhere near the best player in the world. Playoffs is what matters right?

Kid needs time. No doubt he will be within a year or two though.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Crosby had a better case for being #1 at the end of 2007 than McDavid does now. I had him as sharing the title with Thornton after that year.

As for better competition, both Crosby and McDavid were statistically ahead of the next 10 - 20 scorers by similar %s, not that Thornton in 2007 wasn't on par, or better than, any of McDavid's competitors this year.

That's certainly up for debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad