the best division in hockey is the metro according to anson carter

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not arguing the depth in the Atlantic is better overall. I'm saying the top 3 in the Atlantic dominated the rest of the league, they didn't (just) rack up cheap points just inside their own division.

To put that in perspective here's point paces for the Metro outside of their own division:

Caps - 104
Pens - 93
Jackets - 101
Devils - 96
Flyers - 97
Hurricanes - 87
Islanders - 77
Rangers - 80

-So your saying when the Penguins played Tampa Bay, and Tampa Bay rested at home while the Pens played back to back road games, and Tampa torched our backup goalie that was thrown off the team, that is justification Tampa is better.

-The playoffs are here. The regular season is over. Stats are 0-0 in playoff hockey. Let the playoffs begin

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, it's probably the best. The pens, bjs and Flyers are great teams that had up and down seasons instead of dominating all year. That hurt their point totals and may make some people underestimate them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
-So your saying when the Penguins played Tampa Bay, and Tampa Bay rested at home while the Pens played back to back road games, and Tampa torched our backup goalie that was thrown off the team, that is justification Tampa is better.

-The playoffs are here. The regular season is over. Stats are 0-0 in playoff hockey. Let the playoffs begin

Are you quoting the wrong posts or something?

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
-Take the Canes 1 Stanley cup out and the rest remains from the original 5 of Pittsburgh, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Philly. We dont need the Canes or Washington. It beats any other division any way you slice it. Heck, Pittsburgh alone beats most of it.
Any way I slice it? Nah, because the Atlantic has 55 Stanley Cup championships. No other division comes close.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Can someone remind me again why people argue about how strong the divisions are?

So fans can give a boost to their teams in a hypothetical scenario and argue how their team is better than others.

But everyone forgets that they have this thing called the Stanley Cup and playoffs to figure which team is the best.

Reactions: PenguinSpeed

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Any way I slice it? Nah, because the Atlantic has 55 Stanley Cup championships. No other division comes close.

-LOL, those titles all came in a 6 team league. And Detroit was a West team. Since the NHL went Global and expanded, the cut date is 1990. Anything in the past of that is a Champion from Canada, not a global league. I like the big cup, not a salad bowl from the early 1900's.

stanleycupevolution.jpg

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm not arguing the depth in the Atlantic is better overall. I'm saying the top 3 in the Atlantic dominated the rest of the league, they didn't (just) rack up cheap points just inside their own division.

To put that in perspective here's point paces for the Metro outside of their own division:

Caps - 104
Pens - 93
Jackets - 101
Devils - 96
Flyers - 97
Hurricanes - 87
Islanders - 77
Rangers - 80
Ok i agree with you on that point then we were just arguing different points I agree that the top of the Atlantic were better this year.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
-LOL, those titles all came in a 6 team league. And Detroit was a West team. Since the NHL went Global and expanded, the cut date is 1990. Anything in the past of that is a Champion from Canada, not a global league. I like the big cup, not a salad bowl from the early 1900's.

stanleycupevolution.jpg
I'm guessing you cherry picked 1990 in order to prove your nonsensical argument. No worries, dude. Keep on keepin' on.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I'm guessing you cherry picked 1990 in order to prove your nonsensical argument. No worries, dude. Keep on keepin' on.

-You could take it back to 1980, when the Islanders ran the league, won 4 cups, and was in the Finals yearly. If you want to be daring, you took take it back to the mid 1970's when the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup Finals yearly and won multiple cups. Sadly, you cant take it back much further since the only Power 5 Metro team that existed was the Rangers.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Nick Kypreos is long time tv analyst and he was a significantly worse TV analyst than Carter and couldn't even work the remote control much less trouble shoot a TV. <-Fixed

Most hockey analysts werent great players especially compared to other sports.
This last comment I think is just a cheap shot at Stu the Grimm Reaper. :rolleyes:

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
-You could take it back to 1980, when the Islanders ran the league, won 4 cups, and was in the Finals yearly. If you want to be daring, you took take it back to the mid 1970's when the Flyers were in the Stanley Cup Finals yearly and won multiple cups. Sadly, you cant take it back much further since the only Power 5 Metro team that existed was the Rangers.
Yeah but I mean the Metro division didn't even exist until the NHL realigned a few years ago so I have no idea why you're going back to before it existed as a division except to cherry pick to make the Pens look like the greatest franchise of the modern era. I keep forgetting how strong the illogical homerism can be in these threads.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I’m sorry but people put way too much into traveling. These guys sitting on 1st class planes for an hour longer is not going to make them play worse.

Central teams cross three time zones on top of 3-4 hour flights. It isn’t just an hour ride like you claim from jet lag, different elevations, later starts depending on where the game is played there is a lot more that goes on in the central and pacific vs the Atlantic and the metro which encompass a single time zone and most teams are only 30 minutes flying. There are times when players don’t even get into their hotels until 3am comparing that to a 30 minute flight from Pittsburgh to Philly/NY is just moronic

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah but I mean the Metro division didn't even exist until the NHL realigned a few years ago so I have no idea why you're going back to before it existed as a division except to cherry pick to make the Pens look like the greatest franchise of the modern era. I keep forgetting how strong the illogical homerism can be in these threads.

-The 5 teams Im talking about were in the Metro. The same 5 teams were grouped in the Atlantic prior to it being called the Metro. The same 5 teams were also in the Patrick before it was called the Atlantic. The only time these teams were split was when the Penguins were placed in the Northeast division from a whopping 5 years while the other 4 were in the East. These teams have played together for almost 4 decades

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Central teams cross three time zones on top of 3-4 hour flights. It isn’t just an hour ride like you claim from jet lag, different elevations, later starts depending on where the game is played there is a lot more that goes on in the central and pacific vs the Atlantic and the metro which encompass a single time zone and most teams are only 30 minutes flying. There are times when players don’t even get into their hotels until 3am comparing that to a 30 minute flight from Pittsburgh to Philly/NY is just moronic

This is an important consideration IMO. I know I've read before -- in polls and individual articles--that travel plays into considerations when players are choosing teams in free agency, and there is a reason for that.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
It let's hawks fans sleep at night knowing they were in the toughest division which hides the fact that their team was garbage this year ?

Its what Devils and Canes fans have done for the last 8 or so years if anything knowing their Oiler-esque playoff droughts we knew wed be bad with no goalie this season.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the Central and Metro trade off year to year while the gap between the top and bottom in the Pacific and Atlantic are larger.

Hot take, I know.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Different elevations? Jesus, I’ve heard all the excuses now. The only elevation teams deal with are against Colorado and that’s twice a year. Pump the breaks on the elevation changes.

Also, your jet lag theory. Yo are really stretching. There’s two time zones in the entire Central. And that’s only because of Colorado once again. You don’t get jet lag going back an hour or forward an hour. The Central is named because the teams are centrally located. They actually are the teams that have to deal with the least amount of jet lag. Eastern and western teams have to travel across country. So it’s even more comical that you bring that up.

A plane ride from Winnipeg to Dallas, the farthest a Central team would theoretically have to travel, in division, is 4 hours and 55 minutes. A flight from Montreal to Tampa Bay is 3 hours and 35 minutes. So an hour and twenty minutes. Edmonton to Pheonix is 3 hours and 20 minutes. So no, most teams aren’t 30 minutes flights.

Your entire post was just moronic.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Metro has no elite teams, but no really sucky teams either. Most parity in the league, but not the best division.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Avalanche travelled 48k miles. Penguins travelled 34k miles. Those are the top and bottom, and the entire list is divided by conference. Western conference teams do have it rougher travel-wise. makes a difference having to book an extra day to travel rather than waking up at home, flying to your away game, and getting back all in the same day.
NHL Travel Miles: The 2017-18 Super Schedule!

it does actually matter.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
ed because the teams are centrally located. They actually are the teams that have to deal with the least amount of jet lag. Eastern and western teams have to travel across country. So it’s even more comical that you bring that up.

A plane ride from Winnipeg to Dallas, the farthest a Central team would theoretically have to travel, in division, is 4 hours and 55 minutes. A flight from Montreal to Tampa Bay is 3 hours and 35 minutes. So an hour and twenty minutes. Edmonton to Pheonix is 3 hours and 20 minutes. So no, most teams aren’t 30 minutes flights.

Central plays the pacific teams more often as well, thus the three time zones Metro plays the atlantic more often all in the same time group how did you miss that? Metro travel distance is the shortest among all teams for divisional games and even inter conference games they travel a lot less than a central team would playing in the pacific division. There are athletes who openly admitted to prefering the east over less travel and road trips.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad