the best division in hockey is the metro according to anson carter

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It is literally mathematically impossible for 5 100pt teams only the top 3 can make it
3 division and 2 wild cards buddy. The metro is going to have 5 teams. The Atlantic top 3 has a better record then the Metro because they get to face the Atlantic... after the top 3 they aren't that great. The Metro has teams that points seem average because they eat each other opposed to the Atlantic that the top eat the bottom.

The Central and Metro are very even as far as the top goes. I'd give it to the central this year though because Pitt and Wash aren't as good as they have been years past while WPG and NASH are beasts.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
3 division and 2 wild cards buddy. The metro is going to have 5 teams. The Atlantic top 3 has a better record then the Metro because they get to face the Atlantic... after the top 3 they aren't that great. The Metro has teams that points seem average because they eat each other opposed to the Atlantic that the top eat the bottom.

The Central and Metro are very even as far as the top goes. I'd give it to the central this year though because Pitt and Wash aren't as good as they have been years past while WPG and NASH are beasts.
Talking of 100 pt teams only Cbus, Pit, and Wsh can finish at 100

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
-Every team that had the most back to backs got smashed this year outside Pittsburgh and Columbus, including your blackhawks that are in dead last place in the Central.

Hawks also traveled a lot more than Pit on top of only having 1 or 2 less back to backs. Even then they haven’t had Crawford for over 3 months. Back to backs isn’t why they fell but given your post history and your hot takes I have a strong feeling you have no clue about the other teams in the league and only your own.

A back to back with a 3 hour flight is 10 times worse than a back to back with only a 30 minute flight. Metro has it easier than other divisions due to only crossing one time zone and a relative small amount of area of travel, the central teams cross three time zones for interconference games pretty consistently

Last edited:
Reactions: libertarian

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
On a statistical basis the Central is #1 by a hundred miles. The other three are close to each other but would be rated Pacific, Metro, and then Atlantic. The NHL (silly) extra point for a tie clouds the issue, but for those of you who don't believe this, check the goal differentials by division and the points per team and then adjust it for the level of competition.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I take the top 3 in the Central and Atlantic over the top 3 in the Metro pretty easily.

The Metro is a bit deeper than the Central. Its between those two teams as it was before the season started. Metro, in my book, he been disappointing, though. I know Columbus has come on strong finally, and Pittsburgh sleep walked through the first half, but I thought Philly and Carolina would take bigger jumps.

The 6th team in the Metro has 81 points, the 6th in the Central has 90 points.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
On a statistical basis the Central is #1 by a hundred miles. The other three are close to each other but would be rated Pacific, Metro, and then Atlantic. The NHL (silly) extra point for a tie clouds the issue, but for those of you who don't believe this, check the goal differentials by division and the points per team and then adjust it for the level of competition.

-Heard this the last 2 years with how great the defense of San Jose and Nashville was, how great the goalies were. Then the Penguins met your west teams and this is what happened. I think the great Pekka Rinne got pulled 3 different times in last years Cup Finals as the Penguins ran him right off the ice out of the building.

-The Metro has 40% of the all the Cups since 1991. Besides Washington, the Metro owns playoff hockey

giphy.gif

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
-Heard this the last 2 years with how great the defense of San Jose and Nashville was, how great the goalies were. Then the Penguins met your west teams and this is what happened. I think the great Pekka Rinne got pulled 3 different times in last years Cup Finals as the Penguins ran him right off the ice out of the building.

-The Metro has 40% of the all the Cups since 1991. Besides Washington, the Metro owns playoff hockey

giphy.gif

I thought we were talking about this season? BTW, last years #3 pairing for Nashville was awful. The Pens exposed them big time.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
1. Central
2. Metropolitan
3. Pacific
4. Atlantic

It appears this way if you add up the records

Central: 562GP: 306W 192L 64OT == 676P == 1.20 P/GP
Metro: 648GP: 327W 248L 73OT == 727P == 1.13 P/GP
Pacific: 645GP: 312W 257L 76OT == 700P == 1.09 P/GP
Atlantic: 643GP: 304W 260L 79OT == 687P == 1.07 P/GP

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Is it just me or is the idea of the metro division really really stupid to anybody else? I wanted to make a thread on this specifically, but I'll just say it here. Every other division is based on geographic location but metro seems like a bunch of cherry picked teams to form a division.

Reactions: TNT87

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I think that comparing divisions is pointless because there is a crossover possibility. Either do divisions or make it 1 vs 8 like before. This format is so messed up.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

giphy.gif

Central has 40% too genius you claim to have been watching since Lemieux yet you have no clue how good the Wings, Avs and Stars were back then you are such a hilairous poster.
Also worth noting the common consensus on here is that the 06 Canes, 09 and 17 Pens are among the worst cup winning teams since the lockout and have the bottom 3 on lockdown.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Central has 40% too genius you claim to have been watching since Lemieux yet you have no clue how good the Wings, Avs and Stars were back then you are such a hilairous poster.
Also worth noting the common consensus on here is that the 06 Canes, 09 and 17 Pens are among the worst cup winning teams since the lockout and have the bottom 3 on lockdown.

-The only consensus about the Penguins are they are the most hated team in the NHL with the most rivals in the NHL. How a back to back champion is deemed overrated is also funny. Maybe overrated and playing in 40% of the Stanley Cup Finals in the last 10 years is also overrated and almost 25% of all the Cup finals going back to 1991 is also overrated. But hey, keep pumping your regular season stats.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
2017 pens might be towards the bottom - but it may be the most impressive cup win in a long time. First back to back cup winner in 20 years, all while the #1 dman is out for the playoffs, #1 goalie gets injured during warmups before game 1 of the playoffs, Crosby gets pummeled in the head and gets a concussion mid playoffs, and they get hit with a number of other injuries throughout. It was the ultimate show of perseverance and adaptation.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
This is tough.

I think the Atlantic has the premier talent i.e. their 3 best teams are better than those in any other division

However they also have the biggest discrepancy between best 3 and worst

Central is top to bottom full of good teams, with some great ones (Preds, Jets) and realistically their worst teams are still competitive (Chicago, Avs)

Metro has two consistently great teams in the Pens and Caps who are arguably top 5 teams in the whole league. However the rest is average. Not bad or poor but not really good either. CBJ are inconsistent as are the Flyers

Pacific is hard to read. They don't have any one outstanding team (VGK could be but we'll see how it carries into next year) other than maybe a healthy Anaheim. The big 3 of Kings, Sharks and Ducks is aging but are still good teams. The rest is like the Atlantic- downright bad

Overall I'll give the nod to Central, with Metro behind.

I think the Metro is one division alongside the Central without a pushover and a division where at the start of the season, each of it's teams can be viewed as evenly matched with an opponent at their best (outside of the real elite like Pitt and Tampa). For me this separates the two from the Pacific and Atlantic
The 3 top teams in the Atlantic play the rest of the crap a lot. Whereas the centrals only "weak" team is the hawks.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015

giphy.gif
Besides the Pens' 2 post-tanking eras and the Brodeur-era in Jersey (when the East was the vastly weaker conference), not really.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
as for me it's pretty tough to rank the divisions. i would have central number 1 then the Atlantic because of the big 3 (TOR, BOS, TB) then it's between pacific and metro for last.

Not to undermine their success, but I think the top 3 teams in the Atlantic have inflated their totals by playing so many games within their division. 4 of the 5 worst teams in the NHL play in the Atlantic. That is a ton of points to be had by beating up on bottom feeders. I think the Metro and Central are the top 2, while the Pacific and Atlantic are the bottom 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad