The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That updated Belmont Park entrance looks like Penn Station and gives me nightmares. I hate that place.
Take a walk through the Belmont clubhouse. It has a lot of elements of that with the wood trim. Same synergy as the iconic arched windows on the grandstand facade that are being incorporated into the arena design.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Take a walk through the Belmont clubhouse. It has a lot of elements of that with the wood trim. Same synergy as the iconic arched windows on the grandstand facade that are being incorporated into the arena design.

Yeah, I've been to Belmont a lot actually, but that picture made me think of the big board in Penn for some reason.

While I like the look of the Belmont renderings, the main entrance does have a bit of a Jack Nicholson with an axe, "Heeere's Johnny", kinda vibe.

It did feel like Jack was following me when I think about walking around Penn at 3:30am trying to figure out the track number for Babylon with Rose's pizza all over my clothes.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Belmont project coming together

Posted March 5, 2020

By Melissa Koenig
The various components of the Belmont Park redevelopment project are coming together, officials said at a community update on Feb. 27.
Almost all of the foundation for a new 19,000-seat New York Islanders arena is in place at Belmont Park, said Anthony Lopez, senior project manager for Manhattan-based Sterling Project Development. Construction crews have dug out the site, he noted, and steel is being installed in quadrants, with quadrants A and B in place. Workers will soon pour concrete on the steel, Lopez said, and he expects the majority of the steel and the roof to be installed by this summer.

“By the summertime of this year,” he said, “you’re going to see a fully developed building.”...

Meanwhile, construction of a new full-time Elmont Long Island Rail Road station, on the west side of the park, is expected to begin in the spring...The station will be on the Hempstead line, with 150 parking spaces set aside for Elmont residents. The south platform, serving eastbound trains, is to be completed by October 2021, Garcia said, with the north platform finished a year later.

New York Arena Partners is also working to improve two Elmont parks as part of its agreement with the Town of Hempstead. The company is redeveloping Elmont Road Park, which floods regularly and has fallen into disrepair over the years, and is doing a “face-lift” on Hendrickson Avenue Park, according to Glen Kozak, senior vice president of operations for New York Racing Association, which owns the land at Belmont Park...

The Elmont station will abut a Floral Park elementary school, and residents have expressed concern about possible Agent Orange at the site. Agent Orange was used as an herbicide in the 1970s, and is linked to cancer, diabetes and birth defects...

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The latest

Attachments

• 20200308_192945.jpg
    20200308_192945.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 11

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
The Elmont station will abut a Floral Park elementary school, and residents have expressed concern about possible Agent Orange at the site. Agent Orange was used as an herbicide in the 1970s, and is linked to cancer, diabetes and birth defects...

Wait what????????????

Agent Orange????????

Did I hit a time warp to 1972 and the arena is being built in the jungles of Vietnam?

Is this a Monsanto argument?

Jesus christ. This may be the biggest stretch of all

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Quick thing. This should be taken as important and relevant to Belmont. If anyone has time, please fact check me and what I've said in previous comments. I have family that is notable SJU alumni. I also received my MBA there. A lot of smoke that SJU will split their old MSG games at Belmont. This is the first step, putting more games at Alumni...err sorry Carnesseca. (Seems similar to islander deal with Barclays, no?)

I've been told that St John's will become another Belmont tenant by 2024. Their cost of playing at MSG based on the results of the team are not in alignment and haven't been for a while. The Big East Tournament and MSG's contract is up for review in 2022. Wouldn't be suprised if Belmont is also used as a bargaining chip.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/07/st-johns-considering-playing-fewer-games-at-madison-square-garden/

For all of those worried about Islanders attendance at Belmont......case and point. This arena is a little bit about the Islanders. This is really about who fills it for the 320 other days

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Wait what????????????

Agent Orange????????

Did I hit a time warp to 1972 and the arena is being built in the jungles of Vietnam?

Is this a Monsanto argument?

Jesus christ. This may be the biggest stretch of all

Here's a shot of the preliminary site-clearing at Belmont before they started construction:

giphy.gif

I would imagine if there was Agent Orange in the Elmont LIRR vicinity, the 2-3 mile radius would be uninhabitable.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Quick thing. This should be taken as important and relevant to Belmont. If anyone has time, please fact check me and what I've said in previous comments. I have family that is notable SJU alumni. I also received my MBA there. A lot of smoke that SJU will split their old MSG games at Belmont. This is the first step, putting more games at Alumni...err sorry Carnesseca. (Seems similar to islander deal with Barclays, no?)

I've been told that St John's will become another Belmont tenant by 2024. Their cost of playing at MSG based on the results of the team are not in alignment and haven't been for a while. The Big East Tournament and MSG's contract is up for review in 2022. Wouldn't be suprised if Belmont is also used as a bargaining chip.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/07/st-johns-considering-playing-fewer-games-at-madison-square-garden/

For all of those worried about Islanders attendance at Belmont......case and point. This arena is a little bit about the Islanders. This is really about who fills it for the 320 other days
Remember, Oak View Group will do the booking for Belmont. They already are the bookers for Madison Sq Garden. If rent is cheaper at Belmont than the Garden we could see some events that were exclusively at MSG shift over to Elmont.

As we’ve all guessed before, with OVG booking Belmont and MSG, the thought is that they are going to tell acts if you want to play the Garden you’re also going to have to play some dates at Belmont as well.

Reactions: RichOnTheLI

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Remember, Oak View Group will do the booking for Belmont. They already are the bookers for Madison Sq Garden. If rent is cheaper at Belmont than the Garden we could see some events that were exclusively at MSG shift over to Elmont.

As we’ve all guessed before, with OVG booking Belmont and MSG, the thought is that they are going to tell acts if you want to play the Garden you’re also going to have to play some dates at Belmont as well.

Agreed.....however there has been a pretty loud rumor for several years that MSG does not want the ST. John's relationship anymore. They feel they can make more money importing neutral site games of larger(better) schools, create midseason out of conference tournaments, etc and would make much more money than St. Johns playing 8-10 games a year.

Reactions: MJF

NYIsles84

Dec 26, 2006
New York

I have a contact with OVG, take it for what it's worth, but he told me, at least for the first 5 years (not sure about anything after) if an act wants to play MSG, Belmont will also be a required venue as well.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have a contact with OVG, take it for what it's worth, but he told me, at least for the first 5 years (not sure about anything after) if an act wants to play MSG, Belmont will also be a required venue as well.
That’s exactly the way I expected it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad