The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I would draw your attention to the arguments set forth by defendants in their January 22, 2020 letter to the court: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fb...cumentId=M62y4CRpLnhZyD21u0wm9g==&system=prod

1) ESD doesn't contest that it received a plan from NYRA expressly contemplating a NYI arena. But NYRA didn't conduct the RFP process - indeed, it was barred from conducting it by statute. ESD conducted the process.

2) The Village wasn't a bidder. It doesn't have standing to challenge the award of a contract by a public authority.

3) There is no statutory or common law precedent that renders communications between communications between a potential developer or third party non-developer, and a state agency about a development proposal before an RFP process begins improper, much less sufficient to render the process unlawful.

When you take a look at documentary evidence submitted in a case, as the LIBN article does, you need to keep in mind that the evidence may be intriguing, but irrelevant in the context of the matter.

Thanks for the link

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Sources: Isles expected to play all home games next season at Coliseum

Updated February 28, 2020 1:08 PM (EST)

Multiple sources told The Point on Friday that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is expected to head to Nassau Coliseum Saturday afternoon before the New York Islanders’ 1 p.m. home game against the Boston Bruins...

Cuomo is expected to come to the arena to announce before the game that the Islanders will play any playoff games this year and next year, along with their entire home schedule for the 2020-2021 season, at the Coliseum.

Next season is expected to be the Islanders’ last before they head to Belmont Park, where a new arena is under construction...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Wait, which shithole are we talking about here?
Haha....Would you say we have a plethora of shitholes?

a5b9a4b1a36d56ace704fe9d04f89cc2.jpg

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Especially once they started playing games at Nassau again. At that point there was zero incentive to go to weekday games in Brooklyn for anyone besides the real diehards.
Well....considering there were relatively few games in Brooklyn, they seemed to do decently enough there. For someone like myself, I just can't make Coliseum games during the week - they're just too far. I do go to Barclays games during the week however, as I work in Manhattan. Being that there were about 5-7 weekday games at Barclays, that's few enough that they can do decently. Anymore and it would be bad news.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Has anyone checked to see if NYI Fan Central is alive?

Still alive and still complaining. Some selections from Twitter:

"Bettman on NYI playing at Coliseum full time, it was about giving thousands of opposing fans the experience they wanted."

"Outside of @barclayscenter raising teams payroll off cap floor, outdrawing Nassau, producing more revenue, having far better record, and Nassau drawing 11,000 last march unless opposing fans filled half building Nassau works just fine for an AHL team."

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

"Bettman on NYI playing at Coliseum full time, it was about giving thousands of opposing fans the experience they wanted."

"Outside of @barclayscenter raising teams payroll off cap floor, outdrawing Nassau, producing more revenue, having far better record, and Nassau drawing 11,000 last march unless opposing fans filled half building Nassau works just fine for an AHL team."
Can we trade him to the Rangers for future considerations?

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I like the wood. You don't see a lot of wood in modern arenas. It's nice touch and ties in well with the old grandstand of Belmont. Give me more wood!
The main entrance reminds me of the Clubhouse at Belmont Racetrack. Another nice touch of synergy with the race track.

Reactions: Costigan77

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know where he got these, but they look nice.

Looks like a train station from the 1920's was renovated. I have to believe it will be incredibly modern in its technology, but don't love that look as it looks more dated to me than stylish.

I like this look more...

8dd95363-c58f-4ded-b3cd-7dacf0a1be75-Screen_Shot_2019-09-23_at_2.26.07_PM.png

68ed3811-0e3d-45d8-acc6-1b04799e4ce2-Screen_Shot_2019-09-23_at_2.26.28_PM.png

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Yikes.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Looks like a train station from the 1920's was renovated. I have to believe it will be incredibly modern in its technology, but don't love that look as it looks more dated to me than stylish.

I like this look more...

8dd95363-c58f-4ded-b3cd-7dacf0a1be75-Screen_Shot_2019-09-23_at_2.26.07_PM.png

68ed3811-0e3d-45d8-acc6-1b04799e4ce2-Screen_Shot_2019-09-23_at_2.26.28_PM.png
I was thinking the same thing, especially the part with all the concrete. Looks like a subway station or the LIRR at penn.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad