The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Probably a matter of time until construction has to halt for a while, especially with occurrences like Boston halting construction: Boston Becomes First City to Shutter Construction Sites Because of Coronavirus | 2020-03-16 | Engineering News-Record and Pence asking construction companies to hand over masks and refrain from ordering new ones: Coronavirus Live Updates: White House Seeks $850 Billion Stimulus and Urges Sending Checks to Americans Within 2 Weeks

While nobody could have expected the Covid-19 outbreak, an extra 2 years in Coliseum may come in handy for the Isles.

If Belmont stalls, Islanders have option to play in Coliseum for two extra years

By Chris Botta | Jul 20, 2018 | 11:18AM

If the Islanders' arena project on the Belmont Park property faces obstacles in approvals and construction, team management has wisely negotiated a cushion.Point Blank has learned that the Islanders' agreement with the operators of the Nassau Coliseum is not just for the next three NHL seasons, but also includes two option years for the club. Two people with knowledge of the agreement shared the information, requesting anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the issue.
This means that if the Islanders' arena in Belmont is not completed for the start of the 2021-22 season, the team has the option to continue playing at the Coliseum for at least that season and the following one...

Last edited:

mk21

Sep 20, 2015
So Cuomo issued an order for non essential workers to stay home. Wonder how much of a delay this brings?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Unless something has changed with this last order construction is considered an essential function and thereby is exempt.

Interesting point, thanks.

Looks like up and through the 75% workforce reduction order, construction of the following types is considered essential:

• skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers
  • other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
Guidance on Executive Order 202.6 | Empire State Development

Haven't yet seen anything about updated definition of essential with the new order. So how much of what's going on at Belmont right now falls into the skilled trades category? I think someone mentioned electricians were there recently.

Hard to imagine this won't halt at least a portion of what they're doing there.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I can’t imaging Cuomo wants to be the reason the opener is delayed after how much he’s been pushing the project in the first place

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Looks like they are working today. Also, I noticed on the far right side of the arena if you look through the I beams you can catch a glimpse of an American flag. I thought that was cool.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Looks like they are working today. Also, I noticed on the far right side of the arena if you look through the I beams you can catch a glimpse of an American flag. I thought that was cool.
That's a tradition the iron workers have. It's called topping off. Once the last beam ( or at least the last structural beam) is set a flag is raised. ( in the old days a few beers were also had)

Reactions: Axe Man

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Hadn't noticed the time lapse they added on the live feed camera. Pretty awesome to see all the progress from start to where they are currently. The last month or so has been really impressive with all of the steel work!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Glad to see that work continues on this rainy day. Trucks are moving within the site and workers are on the 2nd floor landing.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

9. Construction
  • All non-essential construction must shut down except emergency construction, (e.g. a project necessary to protect health and safety of the occupants, or to continue a project if it would be unsafe to allow to remain undone until it is safe to shut the site).
  • Essential construction may continue and includes roads, bridges, transit facilities, utilities, hospitals or health care facilities, affordable housing, and homeless shelters. At every site, if essential or emergency non-essential construction, this includes maintaining social distance, including for purposes of elevators/meals/entry and exit. Sites that cannot maintain distance and safety best practices must close and enforcement will be provided by the state in coordination with the city/local governments. This will include fines of up to $10,000 per violation.
  • For purposes of this section construction work does not include a single worker, who is the sole employee/worker on a job site.
Guidance on Executive Order 202.6 | Empire State Development

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Live cam looks like all construction is halted at this time.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
So Cuomo issued an order for non essential workers to stay home. Wonder how much of a delay this brings?

In ten years we'll all wish they were still playing at the Coli. As long as this doesn't put the project in jeopardy, I'm cool with an extra year in the barn.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

In ten years we'll all wish they were still playing at the Coli. As long as this doesn't put the project in jeopardy, I'm cool with an extra year in the barn.

There are, of course, workarounds in the event the arena is not ready...

The Islanders’ lease with NYCB Live’s Nassau Coliseum — negotiated in early 2018 — includes two additional option years in the event the Belmont arena is not ready, according to a person familiar with the situation...

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
There are, of course, workarounds in the event the arena is not ready...

The Islanders’ lease with NYCB Live’s Nassau Coliseum — negotiated in early 2018 — includes two additional option years in the event the Belmont arena is not ready, according to a person familiar with the situation...

Thankfully.
My concern was more about finishing the building of the arena. Finances, or someone realizing this crappy team doesn't deserve a new arena in an area with enough arenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad