The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Is there really enough parking being planned for this arena and complex? Are 6,500 parking spots really enough? Seems pretty tight to me.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is there really enough parking being planned for this arena and complex? Are 6,500 parking spots really enough? Seems pretty tight to me.
Probably not if some of the people who drive to the Coliseum now don't try taking the LIRR to games.

I live in Bayside and intend to use Uber to/from the games more often. Probably be equal to the cost of parking at the end of the day and I can have a few more beverages during the evening.:cheers:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I wondered about this from day 1. There's no question the developers/state know there isn't enough which is why they pushed through (I really should say "RAMMED" through) the new LIRR station.

Even with that I still don't think there's enough. Also take into account there's going to be a shopping plaza there, a few bars/restaurants, and also a hotel. So any time there's a game/concert/event there are going to be lots of people still there that need to park that aren't going to the arena.

Of all the things that have been massively smooth about this arena project, I fully expect the parking to be an issue after all is complete. They are going to push all of us to take the LIRR big time, but for many of us who live north that's not going to be an option.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Fogetaboutit. Nobody goes to see the Islanders. They have no fans. Built a 17,00” seat arena for 10,000 fans to show up.
Should've built a 14,000 seat arena instead so that it looks more full. Or even better, remained at Barclays. Or, the best option, stay at the Coliseum. :sarcasm:

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Should've built a 14,000 seat arena instead so that it looks more full. Or even better, remained at Barclays. Or, the best option, stay at the Coliseum. :sarcasm:
Only negative about Coli is that we can only play first round of playoffs there. But who are we kidding its not like we are ever getting to second round. Should just start the rebuild. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I wondered about this from day 1. There's no question the developers/state know there isn't enough which is why they pushed through (I really should say "RAMMED" through) the new LIRR station.

Even with that I still don't think there's enough. Also take into account there's going to be a shopping plaza there, a few bars/restaurants, and also a hotel. So any time there's a game/concert/event there are going to be lots of people still there that need to park that aren't going to the arena.

Of all the things that have been massively smooth about this arena project, I fully expect the parking to be an issue after all is complete. They are going to push all of us to take the LIRR big time, but for many of us who live north that's not going to be an option.

Sounds like the parking troubles are going to Belmont's answer to Barclay's Honky.

banner_imageeedb74f426734bb88918044e193c3d34-Kl9yYr.png

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I hope they give STHs first shot at parking - or at least the decent parking. Its going to suck having to park somewhere else and jump on the train. Or a long shuttle bus ride.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
So many thoughts:

• Incarcerated Bob got his hands on this as when he leaks those first photos they were in this report.
  • That older version of the arena with it being mostly glass looked sharp as hell.
  • If you look at renderings of when the area south of Hemstead Tpke was going to be all parking...It was going to be 3 tiers.
  • Also older renderings had the entertainment district as more of a mall with multiple levels built into the ground.
  • It sure felt like the RFA was a farce and this essentially proves it. If the judge cares about that he certainly has cause to issue a stay.
  • That said what in the heck would happen if any judge ordered a stay...Or even a termination of the entire project (which is like 20% done already)? Belmont NIMBYs may not want an arena there, but now would they want a rusting construction site just sitting there for years?

1. Who is Incarcerated Bob?

2. I think you meant RFP.

3. IF judge orders a stay, I would imagine Isles may appeal the decision to a higher court.

No reason to be concerned about this right now; It’s just another post from the only person that’s been consistently bashing the arena for almost 3 years from 3000 miles away.

He should be working for a major news org drumming up more panic over the Corona Virus.

I think you should be more worried about resistance against Belmont Park Arena from towns near Belmont Park, as Floral Park Village knows heck a lot more than I do.

Also spreading fears on Corona Virus is as irresponsible as it gets.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
1. Who is Incarcerated Bob?

2. I think you meant RFP.

3. IF judge orders a stay, I would imagine Isles may appeal the decision to a higher court.

I think you should be more worried about resistance against Belmont Park Arena from towns near Belmont Park, as Floral Park Village knows heck a lot more than I do.

Also spreading fears on Corona Virus is as irresponsible as it gets.
Yes I'm worried about *checks notes* news clippings and mean tweets

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
So many thoughts:
  • It sure felt like the RFA was a farce and this essentially proves it. If the judge cares about that he certainly has cause to issue a stay.

I would draw your attention to the arguments set forth by defendants in their January 22, 2020 letter to the court: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fb...cumentId=M62y4CRpLnhZyD21u0wm9g==&system=prod

1) ESD doesn't contest that it received a plan from NYRA expressly contemplating a NYI arena. But NYRA didn't conduct the RFP process - indeed, it was barred from conducting it by statute. ESD conducted the process.

2) The Village wasn't a bidder. It doesn't have standing to challenge the award of a contract by a public authority.

3) There is no statutory or common law precedent that renders communications between communications between a potential developer or third party non-developer, and a state agency about a development proposal before an RFP process begins improper, much less sufficient to render the process unlawful.

When you take a look at documentary evidence submitted in a case, as the LIBN article does, you need to keep in mind that the evidence may be intriguing, but irrelevant in the context of the matter.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Finally. I'll miss the convenience of Brooklyn games, but the 2 arena thing has been stupid the last 2 years. Especially with the late changes to the schedule.
The 2 arena arrangement had to be bad for business. Too tough to sell season tickets with this setup.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad