The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
They’re moving quite fast. I’m willing to bet that they’re shooting to have the exterior of the building up, and looking ready, prior to the Belmont stakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: periferal and Rengi

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I’ll be driving thru the area soon - what’s the best location to stop quick and take a few photos? Stopping on the side of Hempstead Turnpike probably not the best of ideas!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Before...Aerial photos.

Now...Aerial video.

I speak for those amongst us who see the arena being built, but still don't totally believe it. The part of me that has been burned so many times and never trusts that things will work out for this team, is starting to fade...

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I put this video on my computer at work everyday. People think I’m crazy. They ask, “what the hell are you watching!?” I don’t think they realize how exciting it is to watch concrete being poured. I don’t think I realized how exciting it was.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
On our way to the city to kill some time before tonight..my first look at it in person.

What a fantastic time to be an Islander fan!

Attachments

• 078CA967-0A46-4198-822F-56F6E8258C47.jpeg
    078CA967-0A46-4198-822F-56F6E8258C47.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The final decision on whether to grant the stay should be happening soon, correct?
I think they need more time to file various newspaper clippings and affidavits from cranky neighbors as exhibits. I understand that they have a real bombshell, smoking gun clipping from the local Pennysaver that could blow the whole thing wide open.

Reactions: nyisles

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I think they need more time to file various newspaper clippings and affidavits from cranky neighbors as exhibits. I understand that they have a real bombshell, smoking gun clipping from the local Pennysaver that could blow the whole thing wide open.
Don’t forget random tweets...follow the tweets!

Reactions: nyisles

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
No, I went to Elmont HS and grew up all around the area. Any questions, ask away.
Floral Park has its own.
Elmont, Valley Stream, New Hyde Park, and Franklin Square are Nassau.

Thanks for the info

The final decision on whether to grant the stay should be happening soon, correct?

Court filings: Belmont arena plan hatched long before RFP

By: David Winzelberg January 22, 2020

Emails between the head of the New York Racing Association, officials from Empire State Development and Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office sent in November 2016, revealed details of an updated master plan for the Elmont horse-racing venue that included an arena for the Islanders.

The emails and master plan show that an Islanders arena was planned at least eight months before ESD issued its July 2017 request for proposals for the site and a month before the agency’s first Belmont RFP, issued in October 2012, was scrapped...

Meanwhile, Judge Roy Mahon is slated to make a decision in March on whether to grant the stay requested by Floral Park and its co-plaintiffs that would halt the Belmont arena construction.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Thanks for the info

Court filings: Belmont arena plan hatched long before RFP

By: David Winzelberg January 22, 2020

Emails between the head of the New York Racing Association, officials from Empire State Development and Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office sent in November 2016, revealed details of an updated master plan for the Elmont horse-racing venue that included an arena for the Islanders.

The emails and master plan show that an Islanders arena was planned at least eight months before ESD issued its July 2017 request for proposals for the site and a month before the agency’s first Belmont RFP, issued in October 2012, was scrapped...

Meanwhile, Judge Roy Mahon is slated to make a decision in March on whether to grant the stay requested by Floral Park and its co-plaintiffs that would halt the Belmont arena construction.

So many thoughts:

• Incarcerated Bob got his hands on this as when he leaks those first photos they were in this report.
  • That older version of the arena with it being mostly glass looked sharp as hell.
  • If you look at renderings of when the area south of Hemstead Tpke was going to be all parking...It was going to be 3 tiers.
  • Also older renderings had the entertainment district as more of a mall with multiple levels built into the ground.
  • It sure felt like the RFA was a farce and this essentially proves it. If the judge cares about that he certainly has cause to issue a stay.
  • That said what in the heck would happen if any judge ordered a stay...Or even a termination of the entire project (which is like 20% done already)? Belmont NIMBYs may not want an arena there, but now would they want a rusting construction site just sitting there for years?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
So many thoughts:

• Incarcerated Bob got his hands on this as when he leaks those first photos they were in this report.
  • That older version of the arena with it being mostly glass looked sharp as hell.
  • If you look at renderings of when the area south of Hemstead Tpke was going to be all parking...It was going to be 3 tiers.
  • Also older renderings had the entertainment district as more of a mall with multiple levels built into the ground.
  • It sure felt like the RFA was a farce and this essentially proves it. If the judge cares about that he certainly has cause to issue a stay.
  • That said what in the heck would happen if any judge ordered a stay...Or even a termination of the entire project (which is like 20% done already)? Belmont NIMBYs may not want an arena there, but now would they want a rusting construction site just sitting there for years?
No reason to be concerned about this right now; It’s just another post from the only person that’s been consistently bashing the arena for almost 3 years from 3000 miles away.

He should be working for a major news org drumming up more panic over the Corona Virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad