Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
3qcrNfp.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Also great to hear it’s not serious for Smith. Kinda what I expected, it sounded like a minor tweak and they wanted to be cautious.

Reactions: Janks

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Frolik draws in as 3LW and Prout will be paired with Hanifin. Czarnik and Lomberg sit. Based on yesterdays practice. Hopefully Hammy can make it for today.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Isn’t is a knee?
It’s best he sits out as long as he can and heals. No need to rush him for right now.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I got curious and checked Välimäki's games played and the shift chart from his last game, and then watched it at nhl.tv. Nothing there (last shift was PK at the end of Vegas game late November) so did he get hurt in practise?

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I got curious and checked Välimäki's games played and the shift chart from his last game, and then watched it at nhl.tv. Nothing there (last shift was PK at the end of Vegas game late November) so did he get hurt in practise?
I was under the impression it was the knee on knee from Marchessault in the VGK game.

Reactions: Kahvi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As we start to turn the corner on the new year, any updates on Valimaki and Stone's progress? What happens when we have a healthy Valimaki and Stone, assuming that there are no further injuries to our d-core. What happens to Kylington? Can you really send him back to Stockton after he's played so well? Can we send Stone down to Stockton for an extended period for "conditioning"? I assume that Valimaki will go down to Stockton for conditioning purposes. What happens when he's ready to return to the NHL?
Would rotating Kylington and Valimaki in and out of the lineup be a valid option once Valimaki is ready to return? Kylington currently has played 14 games with the Flames and Valimaki played 22 before his injury. I suspect that by the time that Valimaki is ready to return Kylington will have surpassed Valimaki's games played.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
As we start to turn the corner on the new year, any updates on Valimaki and Stone's progress? What happens when we have a healthy Valimaki and Stone, assuming that there are no further injuries to our d-core. What happens to Kylington? Can you really send him back to Stockton after he's played so well? Can we send Stone down to Stockton for an extended period for "conditioning"? I assume that Valimaki will go down to Stockton for conditioning purposes. What happens when he's ready to return to the NHL?
Would rotating Kylington and Valimaki in and out of the lineup be a valid option once Valimaki is ready to return? Kylington currently has played 14 games with the Flames and Valimaki played 22 before his injury. I suspect that by the time that Valimaki is ready to return Kylington will have surpassed Valimaki's games played.
I see Stone still being the 7th instead of Prout. I honestly think Vali going down to the A is the right move right now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly have no idea here. At first when Kylington was called up, I thought it was obvious that he would go down. The Flames have a real decision on their hands. Stone should continue to be the 7th dman but I honestly think Valimaki will go down for “conditioning” and to get used to playing top pairing minutes. However he will be back in no time.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think Kylington is still below Vali on the depth chart.
I think so too. Valimaki’s all around game and attributes are superior to Kylington’s. It is closer than I expected and age my also play a factor. We’re pretty much locked up on the left side, for the next couple years, and one of these kids will be moved or in the AHL.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t know that one is ahead of the other. Has one player between Oliver and Valimaki done anything to separate themself from the other? I think at this point they have to be ranked pretty much even.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t know that one is ahead of the other. Has one player between Oliver and Valimaki done anything to separate themself from the other? I think at this point they have to be ranked pretty much even.
Yes the one drafted higher gets the edge when everything else is equal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For me it's more about the things that Oliver can do vs. the things Juuso can do. I don't think there's anything Oliver does that Juuso doesn't (Juuso shows good skating and a great first pass, as well as good offensive awareness and an eye for the gaps to jump into), whereas there are things on the defensive side of the puck that Kylington can't match. Take that play where we tied the game late against...... Washington? The hit at the blueline to set up the tying goal. That isn't something Kylington can do. Similarly, there isn't much he can do if he gets trapped against the boards without a way to skate out of it.

I think for Kylington to pass Valimaki, he needs to be a bigger difference-making player on the offensive side of things. Until that happens, I think the team is better off with Valimaki.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Kylington is the better skater. However the total difference between Valimaki and Kylington is miniscule.
Glad I don't have to make that decision when it has to be made.
Toss a coin?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kylington has the ability to be an offensive game breaker more so than anyone else on the defence and I suspect that will become more evident as he gets more comfortable.

I believe Treliving said earlier Valimaki won't return until the end of January or so and combining that with a likely two week conditioning stint gives Kylington has some time to really make his case.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Valimaki and Kylington have similarities to their games for sure, but I don’t think they’re identical. I also don’t think it’s a true statement to say that everything Oliver does, Valimaki does just as good, and other things better.

Valimaki really reminds me of Hedman, style wise, not his upside. Valimaki has better size and is a better all around dman. He’s more sound positionally, makes excellent passes and has really good vision, he’s also quite good at pinching.

Oliver is not quite as good defensively, but has improved immensely in this year. I think he’s a more explosive skater and has a better shot from the point and he’s more dynamic. He’s the more offensive of the two players.

I think both players have distinct areas that we will see them excel at, but as mentioned initially, they also do have similarities which is a really good thing, because both players are excellent talents.

I don’t think either of guys will be Norris winners, but I think from a pure style perspective that Juuso plays like Hedman and Oliver is more comparable to Karlsson. And of course let’s not forget Rasmus who’s a mini Doughty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad